Pages:
Author

Topic: cheap electricity so what now? - page 2. (Read 1793 times)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
January 06, 2016, 09:23:49 PM
I think mining is not profitable now a day but if you have free electricity you gain huge profit with s7 miner before halving ends...

I have to agree that mining today is not profitable for the small guy.  If you are happy paying out $1,000 and seeing a return of $50 a month, is it worth the $1,000 you spent?  It could be profitable, but you first have to recoup your money from purchasing your miners. 
legendary
Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005
January 06, 2016, 05:53:13 PM
It also depends on what your electric costs the rest of the day. If you only mine for those 9 free hours it'll take a lot of your time (having to start/stop the miner each day, unless you script it) plus youre only mining 38% of a day. You should figure out what it would cost to run a miner 24 hours, including the 9 free hours. It might still be profitable. Or look at buying older hardware for cheap/free and run that only during the free hours.

The problem might become that if you start a big farm of old (free) hardware the power company will realize it and start charging you for the "excessive" use.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
January 06, 2016, 05:50:26 PM

My advice you can buy 1 antminer s7 and if from 1 antminer s7 you get a lot bitcoin, buy 1 again. Tongue

he wont make it , the halving is near, the difficulty goes up = your profit goes down... even with cheap electricity, its not going to be easy
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1003
January 06, 2016, 05:45:49 PM
I think mining is not profitable now a day but if you have free electricity you gain huge profit with s7 miner before halving ends...

Before the halving it is really hard to make any ROI because it is less than 6-7 months left.
But you will still be able to make the roi through this year probably even when the block reward is 50% less.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1024
January 06, 2016, 05:38:27 PM
what about mining some valuable altcoins ? It may be better than bitcoin as the difficult is so high nowadays

There's few problems with that.
Most of them require different hardware, it's more speculative because altcoins are even more volatile than Bitcoin, the vast majority of altcoins are scams and many other reasons.
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
January 06, 2016, 05:33:53 PM
what about mining some valuable altcoins ? It may be better than bitcoin as the difficult is so high nowadays
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1024
January 06, 2016, 05:32:33 PM

I doubt you can even ROI before the halving with any type of miner.

@OP use https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/calculator change the increment at 15% and try to estimate how much an s7 would cost in total (hardware+shipping+taxes+other fees) and see if you can ROI yourself.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1046
January 06, 2016, 05:04:33 PM
Activity: 51
Merit: 0
January 06, 2016, 04:43:41 PM
I live in middle of no where but there are farms and ranches near by so cause of this they offer FREE!!! 100% FREE FROM 9 PM TO 6 AM electricity!!!

I want to take advantage of this and kinda at crossroads.

My set up for where units would go is on a 6 shelf wire cabinet,4 separate 8 port switches, 2 power outlets but are on the same power line, and a voltage regulator.

Should i buy lets say 1 antminer s7 or like a ton of some other small one?
or should i even still bother?
Pages:
Jump to: