Pages:
Author

Topic: Cheapish mining rig - what do you think? - page 2. (Read 3378 times)

Activity: 208
Merit: 100
Mobo ASRock FM2A85X Extreme6
CPU AMD A4-5300 3.4Ghz FM2 CPU
RAM Patriot 8GB DDR3-1600 (4GGx2)
HDD Use existing supply
DVDRW None
GPU (x3) SA-7950-3GD5-OC-V2 3GB 7950 OC PCI-E VGA Card
PSU Corsair AX860I
Case Coolermaster HAF XB , Antec Skeleton
Cost approx $1500.

I'm expecting a hash rate of anywhere from 1900 to 2100kh/sec for ltc mining. I base this off what others get with 7950 and well I can get 650-700/khash with my 6950 + 5770 in my main pc.

I'm thinking about building 2, one with the coolermaster case and another with the anetc. I like both cases as far as being used for a mining rig so max airflow/ventilation etc is paramount. The coolermaster reminds me of those milk crate mining rigs out there and well I like the anetc espeically with it having a fan to aid with airflow....

I've looked at AM3 and Intel and the above is what I been able to come up with for the cheapest price. Also the motherboard seems to have integrated graphics, so it shall be interesting if I can also use that in cgminer to mine with to add to the overall hashrate.

I've gone with the non vaporX sapphires due to space issues as their cooling from what I can tell will cause the card to take up 2.5 slots, whereas the non vaporx editions seem to just take up the standard 2 slots. With the spacing of the PCI-E slots on the asrock board I should hopefully be able to get away with running 3 GPUs.

The PSU is the most expensive as its the most critical other than the GPUs and has the required PCI-E connectors. I've found if I go a non platnium rated psu I lack a pair of PCI-e power plugs I need for the 3rd GPU. Granted I could run it off a molex adapter connected to the power used for peripherals but I'd prefer not to. Also the corsair comes with a 7 year warranty which is nice. Also being 80+ Plat rated is always good for the long term to try and keep down power costs as much as possible.

Look forward to reading helpful comments Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: