Pages:
Author

Topic: Check Balance of Multiple Bitcoin Addresses ( Non py, Non Linux ) - page 3. (Read 24862 times)

staff
Activity: 4200
Merit: 8441
Ok, after a week and a half of searching it is CLEAR that there is no easy solution to this problem.
The goal or problem is checking the balance of a ton of addresses without having to import them with keys without having to run a linux machine, without having to run anything in python, just plain and simple copy a list of addresses......
1EMXdJrLUhyh5ycijPzmJKWGStQ915VGSJ
1EmXdS1QPA7wmJqH7WtfwaV6rM88LC9t6F
etc....
etc....
etc.....
to make such a software for the community to use.
What community is this useful for? Other people I've seen asking for this are trying to crack brainwallets (ineptly).
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520
No I dont escrow anymore.
Edit: I get PMs from time to time asking for help with the below software. The API in question is no longer operational, thus you will need to use the curl version -> https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.9982506

---
I read this thread a day or two ago and though, well this should be easily done in ruby... and then I read it completly.

I spend a few hours and made a tiny java programm [1] that does what I think you want.

You simple have to paste all the addresses in a file named in.txt (seperated by line breaks, see the in.txt that I put there for testing), run it with
Code:
java -jar chkblnc.jar

and watch it work. When done it will make you a file named out.txt (be carefull any existing file in the same directory with that name will be overwritten).

Which looks like this:

Code:
---------- BTC address ----------| : Balance in BTC (Satoshi)
186Aow5EgRz6WNroi2Eky8c94eZvxpWAEd : 0.22698467 (22698467)
19QkbYPu81MHkSdBxKXUm39nyH14z27gf6 : 0.181 (18100000)
19wLQ9PbptbrhXywyJ1FmmwckmH8x367Ez : 9.00230376 (900230376)
1MF48CPkGmnCXp54ztp9gTRCscpHzGvEC4 : 0.0 (0)
1Q147jbV8RFrBiW9JfNgZGNUtGoYnxsGED : 0.0 (0)
1LD6GEDrStmKYUjVnDwqySDqU6BUCo7Boc : 0.0 (0)
1FFvzKr4tHBb5tm7uLKwfUdRpQt4SiyCip : 0.0 (0)
1B4WYJA97wEZcC1faQaoE8zefyDwNmYdR3 : 0.0 (0)

I used the blockchain.info API [2] to get the balance, so it will need internet access. The connection will not be encrypted.
It is quick and dirty and will not catch any exceptions, if anything goes wrong (e.g. no internet, file not found) it will just terminate.
Please do not blindly trust me and read the code! Even with limited copy pasta knowledge of java you should be able to understand what it does.

I know these are a lot but, but [3] I hope it will help you.

[1] includes source, readme and example files https://mega.co.nz/#!ckQ1gSSY!gsqAlZojlt-ACxZB7179g95zgWrhKAxwMMalPG_7Jlo
[2] https://blockchain.info/q
[3] aaand another one Wink
Activity: 72
Merit: 10
I'm not aware of any service or easily installed and used software that will accomplish what you want.

I suspect you will get a lot of advice that you have already said you don't want from a lot of people who won't bother reading your entire post.  In the future, if you try asking the question again, I suggest you start a "self-moderated" thread.  That way you can delete all the undesired advice.

Thanks danny, i appreciate your feedback (no easily installed and used software ), as for the self moderated thread, the whole point of defining non-viable solutions or un-needed advice is to avoid having to moderate a thread.

Anyways, i guess there is always Fiverr.com, i have managed to get a ton of development done through them for next to nothing with BitcoinJ so if over the next day or two nobody else has a viable solution, i will hire some guy from India or Pakistan for $5 to copy/paste a few lines from BitcoinJ to make what i need since i have no clue what any of the stuff in the BitcoinJ zip file is and they seem to read it like a kid reads cat in the hat.

Unfortunately, part of the problem is that at the protocol level, there is no such thing as an "address" or a "balance".  There are only "outputs" and scripts that set up requirements that must be met in order to reassign the value from those outputs.  The concept of a "balance" or even a "bitcoin" for that matter are just abstractions that we humans use to make it easier to talk about transferring control of value.

Therefore, the only way to find the "balance" of a very long list of "addresses" is to have a database of all currently unspent outputs, and then check every address against the scriptPubKey of each unspent output. Any software to do this would need to stay synchronized with the blockchain, and therefore would need to be kept running or the user would have to wait for synchronization every time they start it up.  Any service to do this would need to be able to handle the HUGE number of requests to search the entire database for every address for every potential user of the service.

I fully agree with everything you said, although my coding abilities stop at basic PHP and MySql, my hardware abilities and budget have landed me with a BackBlaze 4.0 storage pod which after a few days worth of cussing and swearing i got assembled and on my network, as well as a home brew semi-supercomputer with 128 gig ECC ram and 10 quad core intel processors with haswell architecture.

I have tried my hand at resolving this myself using the Insight software and API, and tried my hand at chopping (cutting and pasting) java code to work my own solution. but was left with "i should just stick to making websites" as i know jack squat about java, C, or for that matter anything not HTML or PHP related.

I am really beginning to think i am going to have to take advantage of some poor developer from some far off country through fiverr to do the coding for pennies of what it is worth. In the end it will be a solution though which is better than whats out there now.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658
I'm not aware of any service or easily installed and used software that will accomplish what you want.

I suspect you will get a lot of advice that you have already said you don't want from a lot of people who won't bother reading your entire post.  In the future, if you try asking the question again, I suggest you start a "self-moderated" thread.  That way you can delete all the undesired advice.

Thanks danny, i appreciate your feedback (no easily installed and used software ), as for the self moderated thread, the whole point of defining non-viable solutions or un-needed advice is to avoid having to moderate a thread.

Anyways, i guess there is always Fiverr.com, i have managed to get a ton of development done through them for next to nothing with BitcoinJ so if over the next day or two nobody else has a viable solution, i will hire some guy from India or Pakistan for $5 to copy/paste a few lines from BitcoinJ to make what i need since i have no clue what any of the stuff in the BitcoinJ zip file is and they seem to read it like a kid reads cat in the hat.

Unfortunately, part of the problem is that at the protocol level, there is no such thing as an "address" or a "balance".  There are only "outputs" and scripts that set up requirements that must be met in order to reassign the value from those outputs.  The concept of a "balance" or even a "bitcoin" for that matter are just abstractions that we humans use to make it easier to talk about transferring control of value.

Therefore, the only way to find the "balance" of a very long list of "addresses" is to have a database of all currently unspent outputs, and then check every address against the scriptPubKey of each unspent output. Any software to do this would need to stay synchronized with the blockchain, and therefore would need to be kept running or the user would have to wait for synchronization every time they start it up.  Any service to do this would need to be able to handle the HUGE number of requests to search the entire database for every address for every potential user of the service.

legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658

Ok, after a week and a half of searching it is CLEAR that there is no easy solution to this problem.

The goal or problem is checking the balance of a ton of addresses without having to import them with keys without having to run a linux machine, without having to run anything in python, just plain and simple copy a list of addresses......

1EMXdJrLUhyh5ycijPzmJKWGStQ915VGSJ
1EmXdS1QPA7wmJqH7WtfwaV6rM88LC9t6F
etc....
etc....
etc.....

Then paste them into an input window, click submit or what have you, and have their balances checked say a 100,000 addresses at a time, or a million at a time, or whatever large number.

I have seen this question asked over a few hundred times in my week and a half search and have found 0 answers to it. 0 real answers that a non software developer, non linux running, non python familiar person can take advantage of.

So i ask again, on behalf of myself and the hundreds of other people out there that have been asking the same thing and all ended up with over technical non useful results.

Is there any way to check the balance of a ton of addresses by simply copying and pasting them into an input field.

Things we dont need:

Links to your software that will not run easily on widows or mac without having to install a ton of other stuff
Your explanation on how someone could code this software, Myself, and the others who have asked are obviously not developers
simple one line replies referencing someone else's block parser or other non windows/mac programs with no "how to use this for dummies" help.

you get the point, do a quick google search and you can see for yourself how this has been a discussion hundreds of times with no resolution.

Side note: if you are a able bodied developer, and the solution is as easy as (this) as has been answered many times before, maybe you can spend the few hours people say it would take to make such a software for the community to use.
Pages:
Jump to: