Pages:
Author

Topic: Chess and gambling - page 2. (Read 4855 times)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250
June 26, 2012, 12:33:07 AM
I'm guessing there is a market out there for bitcoin stratego. Much less prone to cheating. I would play.
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
June 25, 2012, 09:25:45 PM
Chessbase is one of the world's largest chess site.
They are selling "ducats" for euros to pay for chess lessons or chess games with grand masters.
Why not get them to offer bitcoins instead of these crummy ducats of theirs.
Damn, I've seen your site under your profile pic "e-ducat.fr" but it wasn't until you mentioned Ducats that I clicked. I'm so slow - ducat is money, so bitcoin == e-money.

legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1016
Strength in numbers
June 25, 2012, 09:04:26 PM
Is starting an online chess bitcoin gambling site like online poker sites illegal? I've heard that because chess is a game of pure skill it does not fall under the typical illegal status in the United States. Is this true? Supposing that online chess gambling was legal in the United States what would happen if players from outside the United States started using the site? Could the company running the site from United States be in legal trouble with regards to the law in other countries because their citizens accessed the site and gambled?

Not sure about the legality of this, but I'd imagine that you'd run into the problem of cheating using bots or chess engines.

As a potential player I'd mostly be worried about this.

I think chess variants are a pretty good solution to that. At least it will narrow the cheaters from "anyone with Chess Master" to programmers with skills.
legendary
Activity: 1221
Merit: 1025
e-ducat.fr
June 25, 2012, 06:02:03 PM
Chessbase is one of the world's largest chess site.
They are selling "ducats" for euros to pay for chess lessons or chess games with grand masters.
Why not get them to offer bitcoins instead of these crummy ducats of theirs.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
June 25, 2012, 06:00:19 PM
Computer chess tournament gambling sounds good. But that doesn't answer the question, what happens if people from outside the United States uses the site even if the United States itself calls it legal.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
June 25, 2012, 10:46:15 AM
I agree with most of the comments posted here.

What about a Computer Chess tournament?
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Coinabul - Gold Unbarred
June 25, 2012, 07:38:15 AM
I've seen three separate attempts at creating Bitcoin chess.

None worked.

Good luck!
donator
Activity: 162
Merit: 100
June 25, 2012, 07:34:51 AM
Is starting an online chess bitcoin gambling site like online poker sites illegal? I've heard that because chess is a game of pure skill it does not fall under the typical illegal status in the United States. Is this true? Supposing that online chess gambling was legal in the United States what would happen if players from outside the United States started using the site? Could the company running the site from United States be in legal trouble with regards to the law in other countries because their citizens accessed the site and gambled?

Not sure about the legality of this, but I'd imagine that you'd run into the problem of cheating using bots or chess engines.

As a potential player I'd mostly be worried about this.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
June 25, 2012, 07:31:34 AM
Now that the states are starting to approve licenses for online gambling (Nevada just gave permission to IGT and Bally to operate online poker) the category will grow, but it still is very regulated.  (there were 30 applicants to offer online poker, and only those two approved.) 

Here's a Bitcoin chess thread:

- https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/online-chess-game-79290

Here's an article on the Nevada licensing that just happened:

- http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20120624/NEWS/120629917/1001
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
June 25, 2012, 03:02:36 AM
How about a chess site where the players just play and observers can place bets on the outcome of a game?
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
June 25, 2012, 02:05:50 AM

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
June 25, 2012, 02:04:22 AM
Pages:
Jump to: