Pages:
Author

Topic: China moves further towards cashless society - page 4. (Read 539 times)

legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521
Xie took the grapes and approached the door but was stopped by security guards.

“I know it’s not right to leave without paying,” Xie said. “But I have real yuan in my hands. It’s not fake money. Why are you humiliating this old man for not knowing how to use WeChat?”

A security guard later helped Xie process the payment with cash, the report said.

It's sad to see the elderly needing to depend on the kindness of strangers, even when they've got the money to pay. The man's got a point. Why the hell should WeChat be a prerequisite for buying fruit at the market?

You shouldn't need a smartphone and a bank account to pay for a bundle of grapes. Roll Eyes

I'm glad I live in a place where people actually want cash, more than any of the alternatives.
Ctn
Activity: 644
Merit: 259
Very interesting news and incidence that have happened in the china. I never thought someone can be so stubborn upon the decision of not accepting the cash as mode of payment. This is truly intriguing to me as it is unusual to see within the country where you cant even pay with the real money. So this is like forceful dragging towards the digitisation I guess. However it could be either good to see them approaching like that, initially it may sound very irritating but when there will be complete digitalisation of the country then it may just develop very very fast than the before time. So its either good or bad and depends mostly upon the various factors within the country.
Activity: 672
Merit: 526
South China Morning Post

An argument between staff at a cashless supermarket in northern China and an elderly man who did not know how to use his smartphone to buy a bunch of grapes has revived calls for help for those left behind in the digital economy.

The 67-year-old man, identified only by his surname Xie, tried to use cash to buy the fruit at a supermarket in Jixi, Heilongjiang province, on Sunday, video news site Pear Video reported.

Checkout workers rejected the money and insisted that he use his phone to pay via either WeChat Pay or Alipay, prompting the argument, according to the video.

Alipay is owned by Alibaba, which owns the South China Morning Post.

“I’ll leave if you don’t take the cash,” Xie said in the clip.

“Well, leave if you can,” the cashier replied.

As China goes increasingly cashless, PBOC says cash payment is still alive
Xie took the grapes and approached the door but was stopped by security guards.

“I know it’s not right to leave without paying,” Xie said. “But I have real yuan in my hands. It’s not fake money. Why are you humiliating this old man for not knowing how to use WeChat?”

A security guard later helped Xie process the payment with cash, the report said.
Pages:
Jump to: