Pages:
Author

Topic: China Telecom to block all Bitcoin related traffic to China? - page 2. (Read 4302 times)

legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021
Democracy is the original 51% attack
We'll know if a block is actually in force, because as soon as it happens the downloads into China will fall drastically. So people should keep an eye on this over the coming days/weeks:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/stats/map
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021
Democracy is the original 51% attack
Very interesting indeed, if true!

Something to think about... if China comes out openly opposed to Bitcoin, and blocks it, then Americans will look upon this as an act of censorship by an oppressive regime. This means they would be less likely to accept similar moves from the American government.  On the other hand, if the American govenrment comes down hard (and not China), Americans would be more likely to buy the story and be opposed to Bitcoin.

Thus China blocking it could be good for Bitcoin in America. And America blocking it could be good for Bitcoin in China.

China is STILL the top downloader of Bitcoin client software, a trend which has persisted for the past six weeks (prior to this, the US had always been #1)
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
I am using China Telecom's network, until now at least network traffic related to Bitcoin is OK.

Keep in mind that law in China works differently from that of West, in two ways:

1.Anything not permitted by law is technically prohibited;
2.No one will enforce the "not permitted" part of the law until someone sees a chance to make money or directives are received from "relevant organs".

In this case, I guess it's China Telecom's management's own idea, not sure at which level the decision is made, but there must be some interest groups related to CT already feeling the threat of Bitcoin.

Yeah, other China Telecom users said they are having no problems accessing Bitcoin services for the moment.

Anyhow, the Twilio email is very recent. It may be a first step towards a bigger action, or just FUD. Maybe some China Telecom exec dealing with Twilio took his own decision, maybe it's just Twilio shitting their pants with no reason.

Let's see how this unfolds.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
I am using China Telecom's network, until now at least network traffic related to Bitcoin is OK.

Keep in mind that law in China works differently from that of West, in two ways:

1.Anything not explicitly permitted by law is technically prohibited;
2.No one will enforce the "not permitted yet not explicitly prohibited" part of the law until someone sees a chance to make money or directives are received from "relevant organs".(so yes we break laws everyday)

In this case, I guess it's China Telecom's management's own idea, not sure at which level the decision is made, but there must be some interest groups related to CT already feeling the threat of Bitcoin.
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
According to: http://blockchain.info/ip-log there are plenty of CN (China) nodes working out there.

Don't know..maybe it's a prudent (and arbitrary) move

[..] confirming that business such as bitcoin is not a proper financial tool in China and the Authority *MAY* treat bitcoin as an illegal business. [..]

Maybe other carrier don't care about it until China Gov say something official..

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
I'm surprised that there is no thread dedicated to the Twilio email published by Piuk (blockchain.info operator), regarding China Telecom blocking all Bitcoin related traffic to China:

Hi Ben,

We got further information from our carrier confirming that business such as bitcoin is not a proper financial tool in China and the Authority may treat bitcoin as an illegal business. Unfortunately the China Telecom Authority has requested that all bit-coin traffic to China be blocked.

As the provider of the phone number, Twilio is responsible for assuring the carriers that no more traffic related to bitcoin will be sent to China. Therefore, I have removed your international SMS permission to China. Please do not turn this on or try sending SMS messages to mobile numbers in China. Doing so will very likely lead to immediate account suspension.

Again I'm sorry for the convenience. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Thanks,
Twilio Customer Support

Source: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2243603

Does anybody has more information about this?
Pages:
Jump to: