Pages:
Author

Topic: Claiming Bitcoin Cash with Electrum Wallet - page 2. (Read 6933 times)

Activity: 78
Merit: 10
Hi, before the fork i installed Electrum wallet on my computer and moved my bitcoins into it.
Now that the price of BCC is getting pumped, i'd like to redeem coins on that blockchain, but obviously i want to keep my existing BTC.

Reviewing the post on Electrum's website:

1. Install Electron Cash on a machine that does not have your
 Electrum wallets.

2. Wait until the BCC hard fork has taken place, and a few BCC blocks
 have been mined.

3. Move all your Electrum funds to a new Electrum wallet. This will
 move only your BTC, and not your BCC, because the BCC blockchain has
 replay protection. Wait until the transaction is confirmed.

4. Enter the seed of your (now empty) old wallet or private keys in
 Electron Cash. Since the BTC have been moved to a new wallet,
 entering your old seed in Electron Cash will not put your BTC funds
 at risk.

Following these 4 easy steps you will be able to access your BCC
without compromising your BTC
-------------------

Number 3 has me a little confused.
Could that a new wallet on the same computer?
And, why are we doing this anyway? Won't that make the orginal wallet balance be 0?

Number 4, on another computer i install Electon Cash and enter the seed (is the seed the random words created when i setup the original Electrum wallet?)
copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory
Thought I'd bump this thread to report that I successfully claimed all my bitcoin cash from electrum wallet using Coinomi. If anyone needs detailed instructions with any part of the process, I'll be glad to help here!

Please instruct!

BCH getting more and more valuable, and Electrum's best advice so far is empty your current wallet to a new wallet and use seed of old wallet in Electron cash.

Any trustworthy way to extract BCH from current wallet, without needing to essentially close the current Electrum wallet, would be greatly appreciated!

If you don't mind downloading the block chain, you could use bitcoinabc (as many people have used). But you need your private keys instead of seed but then you don't need to empty the electrum wallet really. (But the block chain is about 120GB even for bitcoin cash).

Or get the linlink and instructions to coinomi from faitaccompli.
Activity: 137
Merit: 14
Thought I'd bump this thread to report that I successfully claimed all my bitcoin cash from electrum wallet using Coinomi. If anyone needs detailed instructions with any part of the process, I'll be glad to help here!

Please instruct!

BCH getting more and more valuable, and Electrum's best advice so far is empty your current wallet to a new wallet and use seed of old wallet in Electron cash.

Any trustworthy way to extract BCH from current wallet, without needing to essentially close the current Electrum wallet, would be greatly appreciated!
Activity: 186
Merit: 100
HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4316
Oracle VirtualBox is free... You can load up a Linux distro in that and then install ElectronCash there. That'll effectively sandbox EC so that it can't see your Electrum install.

You don't need to install Electrum on it... Just create a 2nd wallet in your main OS and Electrum install. Move coins from current wallet to new wallet.

Then use old seed in Electron Cash in virtual machine.
copper member
Is there a "safe" way to claim your Bitcoin Cash from Electrum without use of another computer? I only have one computer and it currently has Electrum installed on it.
If I'm understanding things correctly, the safe way to claim BCC involves using another computer and installing Electrum on it too.

Do you have a spare pen drive/hard drive, you can boot electron cash from that?

I do have an external HD. I can try downloading Electrum to that. Thank you so much for the suggestion!!

Download an OS like Ubuntu and boot from that first on the hard drive i'd suggest.
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
Is there a "safe" way to claim your Bitcoin Cash from Electrum without use of another computer? I only have one computer and it currently has Electrum installed on it.
If I'm understanding things correctly, the safe way to claim BCC involves using another computer and installing Electrum on it too.

I do have an external HD. I can try downloading Electrum to that. Thank you so much for the suggestion!!
copper member

Activity: 5
Merit: 0
HCP
legendary
so anyone have an idea which BCC wallet should I use? I am not going to use electron cash.
You're going to be waiting a while then... either for someone to make another lightweight BCC wallet... or to download the blockchain using BitcoinABC.

Electron Cash can be run from sources if you're concerned about using the binaries. Just goto github (https://github.com/fyookball/electrum), download the full repo using the "clone or download" button, extract the zip and go from there...

The source is fully open and you can view/audit all the changes made since it was forked from the Electrum repo.

:-)   The bitcoin blockchain is larger than you think - it is now 150 GB, and growing at a rate of 1GB per week (144 blocks per day * 1MB per blocks * 7 = 1GB)  - imagine what it will be when Bitcoin Cash produces 8MB blocks.
Given they're currently mining about 10 blocks a day... a lot smaller than the BTC chain Tongue
copper member
Ok waiting appears to be the best option for now. I mean the BCC isn't going anywhere since it's still just there on the blockchain and I own the private keys. I actually don't even have 80 gb of free space to be able to download the blockchain so can't even use those wallets. Also if I'm not mistaken, you can't even trade the BCC at the exchanges yet, though I suspect that should change as time goes by.

If you download a wallet like bitcoinunlimited, you can use the -prune command when you load up the client from the command line (it should use no more than 4gb that way).
Ok waiting appears to be the best option for now. I mean the BCC isn't going anywhere since it's still just there on the blockchain and I own the private keys. I actually don't even have 80 gb of free space to be able to download the blockchain so can't even use those wallets. Also if I'm not mistaken, you can't even trade the BCC at the exchanges yet, though I suspect that should change as time goes by.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1001
so anyone have an idea which BCC wallet should I use? I am not going to use electron cash.
Better to check this bitcoincash.org
You can see all wallet supported but i don't guaranteed if you can get your bcc right now since i heard that some wallet is scam and i think better to wait more days before you claim your bcc and if its clarified that the there is a safe wallet to use for bcc and to import private keys. .
copper member

I think all the others require you to have a complete ownload of the blockchain, BitcoinUnlimited i'd suggest is probably the longest running one alng with bitcoinABC - or you could ask for another user to redeem your bitcoin cash for you (make sure they are trusted on this forum).
copper member
OP isn't using a multisig though? I think that's just a plain wallet.
2FA IS a MultiSig... it's a 2-of-3, where you have 1 keys... and TrustedCoin has 1... and the 3rd is "hidden" in your seed. Even if you restore a 2FA from seed and disable the 2FA functionality... it is STILL a 2-of-3 wallet... it's just the restore process puts 2 keys into your wallet, so you can provide 2 signatures and don't need TrustedCoin anymore...

@hcp, did you use electron cash to get yours and have you managed to sign a transaction from it yet (or are you also on a 2FA/multisig wallet?
No, I used BitcoinABC...

Oh, so it is essentially multisig then.

And BitcoinABC did look a good option for it (along with bitcoin unlimited).
HCP
legendary
2FA IS a MultiSig... it's a 2-of-3, where you have 1 keys... and TrustedCoin has 1... and the 3rd is "hidden" in your seed. Even if you restore a 2FA from seed and disable the 2FA functionality... it is STILL a 2-of-3 wallet... it's just the restore process puts 2 keys into your wallet, so you can provide 2 signatures and don't need TrustedCoin anymore...

@hcp, did you use electron cash to get yours and have you managed to sign a transaction from it yet (or are you also on a 2FA/multisig wallet?
No, I used BitcoinABC...
copper member
i get "transaction rejected by network rules" 16 mandatory script verify flag failed - signature must be zero for failed check-(multi)sig operation
after imported an electrum btc wallet with 2fa into electron cash wallet
and sending bitcoincash coins to another electron cash address.
the bitcoin cash coins are correctly seen but im unable to send them
Is this something to do with the fact there isn't actually a block on the network?
/quote]
Probably more likely that Electron Cash is not able to support 2FA properly.

BCC transactions are signed in a different way to BTC transactions due to the replay protection. When you use 2FA, it's effectively a multisig that you send to TrustedCoin to sign. They only know BTC so will be signing it as a BTC transaction... so the transaction will be "invalid" on the BCC network, and it will be rejected, hence the error.

HCP
legendary
i get "transaction rejected by network rules" 16 mandatory script verify flag failed - signature must be zero for failed check-(multi)sig operation
Is this something to do with the fact there isn't actually a block on the network?
Probably more likely that Electron Cash is not able to support 2FA properly.

BCC transactions are signed in a different way to BTC transactions due to the replay protection. When you use 2FA, it's effectively a multisig that you send to TrustedCoin to sign. They only know BTC so will be signing it as a BTC transaction... so the transaction will be "invalid" on the BCC network, and it will be rejected, hence the error.

If the OP restored using a 2FA seed and disabled the 2FA, I suspect it might be that MultiSig in Electron Cash is broken...

EDIT: Yep... MultiSig in Electron Cash is broken: https://github.com/fyookball/electrum/issues/6
copper member

If the block height is 0, it's likely your nodes may be waiting for something (or maybe it's just electron cash)...
Anyway, I've got about 8 hours until the lockdown on my coins from an exchange lasts so I'll see if it's a network problem.
Pages:
Jump to: