Pages:
Author

Topic: Closed Air GPU mining rigs? - page 2. (Read 6410 times)

Activity: 76
Merit: 10
April 14, 2017, 10:13:34 PM
also if you find some 10 or more slots case, you can add an extra GPU using the riser?
Activity: 76
Merit: 10
April 14, 2017, 10:11:37 PM
Planning to do exactly the same thing.

Cooling may be the major problem. You can see this from Nvidia https://developer.nvidia.com/devbox, even four titan x can be filled into a regular ATX box (corsair 540), so lower TDP card should be fine.

I ask senior member here (Philipma1957), he tried to put 4X480 on the board biostar Z170GT7 open air(with four full PCIE, double slots spaced), I was told they were running stably and only thing you need to do is removing the GPU backplate. Double slots=4cm, while the AMD ref 480 is also 4cm, so you want to make a little space between them.

So just find a decent air flow case.

hope this will help.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708
CoinPoker.com
April 12, 2017, 07:57:19 PM
Since the USB Risers have mounting holes you can mount them somewhere on the board. That adapter is too expensive.

Im going to go to a local computer store and see how much extra room the full-sized computer cases have. With 2 GPUs inside the PCIe slots, I think its possible to find room to mount 2 USB risers somewhere.

Activity: 211
Merit: 100
April 12, 2017, 07:50:51 PM
I was looking to do something like this with my old CoolerMaster Centurion 590 and I had found this part to convert 5.25 bays to hold GPUs:  http://www.bplus.com.tw/Adapter/PE4F.html

It was the only thing I could find, but was cost prohibitive.  I have been thinking about using MakerBeam's and the usual USB risers to accomplish the same thing, but haven't had the time to investigate further.

Jake
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129
Bitcoin FTW!
April 12, 2017, 06:10:31 PM
If anyone would ever do something like this, I recommend that you use blower coolers on your GPUs for cooling and maxing out the number of fans in a case. Gets pretty toasty if you have four open fan GPUs inside, and also remember to have more intake than exhaust or vice versa so there aren't stale air pockets inside.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708
CoinPoker.com
April 12, 2017, 06:07:57 PM
Wondering if anybody here has managed to make a closed air mining rig.

The main benefit would be that its easier to direct the air exhaust and second reason would be it wouldn't make your room look like something out of the movie "hackers". I'm sure we all got parents, wives, girlfriends who all complained about the look of our ghetto rigs and "What do the guests think?"

I know you can buy those expensive 6-8 GPU 4U rackable cases, however they are VERY expensive and they are VERY loud.

Wondering if someone has managed to modify a full-size regular computer case and manage to run 4 GPUs or so all inside the case with decent temperature and noise.

Most likely the trade-off would be that we wouldn't be able to use all 5-7 slots of the motherboards but for some with the Summer heat approaching it might not be a bad alternative.

Pages:
Jump to: