Pages:
Author

Topic: [CLOSED] BTC Guild - Pays TxFees+NMC, Stratum, VarDiff, Private Servers - page 10. (Read 902906 times)

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022
Anarchy is not chaos.
So long and thanks for all the fish!

I'm really going to miss this place. It's been a major minor part of my life over the last 4 years.

I'm also curious about where everyone is moving to. The times I've tried other pools, sooner or later I always hit a failover pool. At btcguild this almost never happened. I think if we can get 5ph or more of btcguild's hashrate to all move to the same pool it would really benefit everyone there. As of now I might move to eligius or ghash(ew) or even antpool IDK. Anyone decided on where they are moving to yet?

eleuthria has a list he recommends.

absent from that list is Slush - i think its to do with bad blood and a misunderstanding, the result is Slush was responsible for a DoS attack on BTC Guild.

The one pool that I wouldn't put on that list is Eligius Mining Pool the owner has a reputation see below.

Luke-Jr used the pools hashing power to 51% attack an alt with out the permission or authorization of the people hashing for the pool.
Luke-Jr also injected his personal Bitcoin address black list into Gentoo Linux code base. for religious reasons multiple times.
Luke-Jr also threatened to 51% attack an independent Bitcoin protocol build as a core developer.  (read the whole thread to get a feel for his personality)
Luke-Jr also ripped off CGMiner code without giving credit,  

so no i wouldn't group Eligius with the others on that list, there is a history of abuse of power there.

Luke-jr has not been the operator of Eligius for quite some time. And Wizkid is about as straight up as they come.
legendary
Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027
Lets not forget P2Pool folks Smiley

trust-less, decentralized, open source, run your own node, free, etc...

https://github.com/forrestv/p2pool
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
I'd recommend kano.is if you're looking for a good pool run by an outstanding member of the community.

low fees and the guy really busts his ass. 
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
I think Ghash just had 51% i don't think they abused there power did they?
GHash.IO and double-spending against BetCoin Dice
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ghashio-and-double-spending-against-betcoin-dice-327767
legendary
Merit: 1000
Yeah, Eligius and Ghash are the only pools without fees as of now. Besides eligius doing all that, ghash also 51%'d bitcoin. What's worst, who is to say these (or any other pool) isn't sometimes stealing some hashrate? In a very small scale that would be unnoticeable and nearly impossible to find/track. I just started mining and I found it sad it is SO centralized. I tried p2pool but unfortunately most hardware dont work very well there, my s5 included.
Unfortunately I will have to stay with eligius (and ghash as backup) for now. Just hope they don't get hashrate or do anything bad, but "having to trust" is really fucking bad!

I think Ghash just had 51% i don't think they abused there power did they?
Activity: 484
Merit: 250
Yeah, Eligius and Ghash are the only pools without fees as of now. Besides eligius doing all that, ghash also 51%'d bitcoin. What's worst, who is to say these (or any other pool) isn't sometimes stealing some hashrate? In a very small scale that would be unnoticeable and nearly impossible to find/track. I just started mining and I found it sad it is SO centralized. I tried p2pool but unfortunately most hardware dont work very well there, my s5 included.
Unfortunately I will have to stay with eligius (and ghash as backup) for now. Just hope they don't get hashrate or do anything bad, but "having to trust" is really fucking bad!
legendary

I'm really going to miss this place. It's been a major minor part of my life over the last 4 years.

I'm also curious about where everyone is moving to. The times I've tried other pools, sooner or later I always hit a failover pool. At btcguild this almost never happened. I think if we can get 5ph or more of btcguild's hashrate to all move to the same pool it would really benefit everyone there. As of now I might move to eligius or ghash(ew) or even antpool IDK. Anyone decided on where they are moving to yet?

eleuthria has a list he recommends.

absent from that list is Slush - i think its to do with bad blood and a misunderstanding, the result is Slush was responsible for a DoS attack on BTC Guild.

The one pool that I wouldn't put on that list is Eligius Mining Pool the owner has a reputation see below.

Luke-Jr used the pools hashing power to 51% attack an alt with out the permission or authorization of the people hashing for the pool.
Luke-Jr also injected his personal Bitcoin address black list into Gentoo Linux code base. for religious reasons multiple times.
Luke-Jr also threatened to 51% attack an independent Bitcoin protocol build as a core developer.  (read the whole thread to get a feel for his personality)
Luke-Jr also ripped off CGMiner code without giving credit,  

so no i wouldn't group Eligius with the others on that list, there is a history of abuse of power there.
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

I recommended BitMinter, Eligius, and Kano CKPool at the bottom of my closing message.  All 3 are long standing, trustworhy operators who are always accessible in IRC or in their respective pool threads.  Well, Kano CK Pool isn't long standing as a pool, but as a presence in the community it still holds true.
Activity: 362

legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
I'm going to miss BTCGuild I never really got into mining myself but I did use the pool to test out the idea and see how it works
After a long history of operating and great reliable service you will be missed best of luck on your future ventures.
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
BTCGuild was the top pool when I mined. It is the most professionally run pool I have seen. It is sad to see you go. I think this show that it is the end of the home mining era. Mining is so centralised now that even a long standing pool only has 2% of the netwrok hash rate.

Good luck with your new ventures, eleuthria.
legendary
Activity: 1148
336Mhs USB connected to Guild was my entry to mining.  I've always found eleuthria to be the most accessible and responsive pool operator of them all.

Thank you for putting up with noobs like me and all who came before & after!

ig
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001
You had a great run and did an awesome job. congrats! time to find the next project.

i just don't know if you will find one that can make that kind of cash though ;-)
legendary
Activity: 1456
BitLicences do not require pools and miners to register.

BitLicense doesn't require miners to register.  Pools are in a very ugly gray area, because they can be considered a custodian of the users' funds.  That is one of the many criteria that can be used for what is considered a virtual currency business activity and requires BitLicense registration.  There is no exemption for pools.

EDIT:  Exact line:  "(2) storing, holding, or maintaining custody or control of Virtual Currency on behalf of others; "

But I guess the economics of running the pool are also the issue.

Bummer.

This is the other (and major) reason.  The pool was/is profitable, but not profitable enough to cover a loss of user funds if a compromise ever happened in the future.  It has never happened in the history of the pool.  We've lost coins (and covered the losses) before from software bugs (double payments sent, the bitcoin 0.8 upgrade causing one server to credit people PPS as if network difficulty was 1).  But never a compromise.

Did you read the edit by CoinDesk?

Following the publication of this article, a spokesperson for the New York State Department of Financial Services told CoinDesk that "miners and mining pools are exempt from the BitLicense".

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-mining-pool-btc-guild-close-bitlicense/

Keep the pool open, put T&Cs in there that funds are not your responsibility and miners should empty funds every 24hrs, etc. Maybe a little script to send funds out every few hours.
Activity: 588
Merit: 501
Sad to see you closing doors, The first pool I tried out mining on was users a couple of years ago.

Hopefully you still have some other projects related to bitcoin in store and that you'll stay around
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

BitLicense doesn't require miners to register.  Pools are in a very ugly gray area, because they can be considered a custodian of the users' funds.  That is one of the many criteria that can be used for what is considered a virtual currency business activity and requires BitLicense registration.  There is no exemption for pools.

EDIT:  Exact line:  "(2) storing, holding, or maintaining custody or control of Virtual Currency on behalf of others; "

Bummer.

This is the other (and major) reason.  The pool was/is profitable, but not profitable enough to cover a loss of user funds if a compromise ever happened in the future.  It has never happened in the history of the pool.  We've lost coins (and covered the losses) before from software bugs (double payments sent, the bitcoin 0.8 upgrade causing one server to credit people PPS as if network difficulty was 1).  But never a compromise.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035
This is a sad day.
I'm sorry it came to this.
BitLicense is a mess that harms everyone. Organized block withholding attacks are also a nasty reality of the current ecosystem.
It won't be long before more centralization happens. Not a good thing.
Thanks for always being professional and maintaining a solid pool that has been a cornerstone for so long.

+1

Thanks for your dedication as a pool operator. You will be missed.
legendary
Activity: 1456

Bummer.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
Are you like these guys?

All the best to you for the future.

Thanks for your invaluable service.

Smiley

Activity: 442
Found Lost beach - quiet now
Best of luck. Pool will be missed.
Pages: