Pages:
Author

Topic: Cloudflare requiring Javascript for Tor users (and others?) - page 2. (Read 522 times)

copper member
Activity: 630
Merit: 2610
If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!
I also noticed it's been switched to cloudflare as well. I thought I saw a post about how this service sucked, but IDK. Too many meta threads lately. Tongue

theymos posted a notice about the move in on 2017-11-29:

Moving to Cloudflare
legendary
Activity: 3570
Merit: 1959
I also noticed it's been switched to cloudflare as well. I thought I saw a post about how this service sucked, but IDK. Too many meta threads lately. Tongue
copper member
Activity: 630
Merit: 2610
If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!
[Edit:  @mods, apologies for making this a new thread.  I tried to post it in the Cloudflare thread.  When Cloudflare ate my post and threw me back to a blank form as described below, I did not realize SMF’s reply info somehow got lost—thus resulting in a new thread.  Meta won’t let me delete my own topic; I just tried.]

@theymos, you’ve always been supportive of privacy and security.  Please be aware that Cloudflare is blocking those who use Tor for the former, and disable Javascript for the latter:

Loading image of Cloudflare block...

This is not the first time this has happened.  Last time, you posted a note in some Meta thread indicating that there was a DDoS attack.  Usually, the forced-Javascript screen has gone away if I waited an unpredictable time; however, insofar as I can gather, waiting will only work from fresh browsers without “cf_*” cookies.

I observed 5xx Cloudflare errors, earlier.  It’s not even keeping the site up!  Unreliable, incompetent DDoS protection which decrypts all user traffic and forces users to let Cloudflare run unknown, unexplained code on their machines—this is not a very good deal.

Sorry this post is convoluted.  Cloudflare is now requiring users to keep Javascript enabled; I have not seen this before on this forum!  Cloudflare almost ate my post with its “examination” page; when I first tried to post, I was redirected to a blank forum.  It is fortunate that I use an external text editor...

I used some weird ephemeral setup to get in here and post this.  Since I am not inclined to run Cloudflare cavity-search code in the dedicated browser instance I use for the Bitcoin Forum, this is problematic.

Not-yet-working suggested workaround for JS-disabling Tor users:  Try moving cookies between a “weird ephemeral setup” and your usual browser.  I got a new “cf_clearance” cookie (with expiry time just over a day), but I must have missed something else.  (...such as the fact that it’s now continuously requiring Javascript.)
Pages:
Jump to: