Pages:
Author

Topic: Coinbase account closure? - page 2. (Read 6386 times)

legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164
November 05, 2015, 11:24:37 AM
Coinbase does not close accounts because of inactivity, but for violating their terms of service.

That makes sense, but I did not violate any of those TOSs.  I'm just a regular Joe trying to make a buck.

Please let us know when you hear back from customer service, may have been an honest mistake.
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
November 05, 2015, 11:20:52 AM
Agree, I've had a Coinbase account for close on a year if not more, don't think I ever used it or might have once to send some funds as a test.

Account still active with no problems. So don't think it was closed due to inactivity, if so mine must have been closed ages ago.
Activity: 59
Merit: 0
November 05, 2015, 11:13:09 AM
Coinbase does not close accounts because of inactivity, but for violating their terms of service.

That makes sense, but I did not violate any of those TOSs.  I'm just a regular Joe trying to make a buck.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164
November 05, 2015, 11:05:40 AM
Coinbase does not close accounts because of inactivity, but for violating their terms of service. Check their list of prohibited activities to see if you violated the User Agreement. For example, you cannot use Coinbase to buy bitcoin and then sell on LocalBitcoin, or send bitcoin from a gambling site to Coinbase and sell for fiat.
November 05, 2015, 11:03:00 AM
Both excellent points -- dormant account, very little coins in there.  Ok so no reason to be suspicious then?

I will post their reply here as soon as I get it
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪
November 05, 2015, 11:01:01 AM
I cannot be sure, but to me the problem seems to be that you hold a very small amount of Bitcoin there / use it too little and they just want to save resources.

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1073
November 05, 2015, 10:58:27 AM
Banks do the same kind of thing with "inactive" or "dormant" accounts. I sometimes wonder if this is not just to encourage people to use it, to generate income from fees or if it has

something to do with financial regulations like AML/KYC. Whatever the reason, it still is a pain in the ass. Did you verify your account, or did you probably have difficulty to this?

Here is a topic on the subject --> https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/coinbase-id-verification-problems-500704
November 05, 2015, 10:50:33 AM
Well I tried to withdraw the tiny amount of BTC I have there but I kept getting error messages, despite being certain that I was doing everything right.

I have no violated their TOS as far as I know.

The bulk of my coins as in cold/paper storage i.e. offline.  I only use Coinbase as an exchange.
legendary
Activity: 2982
Merit: 4193
November 05, 2015, 10:48:03 AM
Mt Gox was insolvent. If coinbase allows you to withdraw successfully, they aren't insolvent. Have you violated any of their policy? Are you using their service solely for the wallet or you also use it as an exchange?
November 05, 2015, 10:45:28 AM
Yesterday I logged into Coinbase for the first time in about 4 months and was met with this message:

Unfortunately we have had to close your Coinbase account. Before your account can be closed, you will need to withdraw your bitcoin to an external wallet and any other funds to an attached bank account. Please be sure to delete any references to bitcoin addresses generated by Coinbase, as bitcoin sent to those addresses will not be retrievable once the account is closed. If you have any questions you may contact us at [email protected].

Transfer 0.00007033 BTC out of your Bitcoin accounts
Enter a Bitcoin address to which we will sweep all of the funds from these accounts

I wrote them an email at the support address but have not heard back yet. 

Anybody else experience this?  I am suspicious, possibilities I am worried about:
1. This is an elaborate scam of some sort
2. USG is cracking down on Coinbase
3. Coinbase is having internal issues and about to shutter like Mt. Gox

?
Pages:
Jump to: