Pages:
Author

Topic: Coinbase buy price is pegged to Bitstamp - page 3. (Read 4962 times)

Activity: 378
Merit: 255
December 31, 2013, 10:44:23 PM
Yeah, it's almost always about $3 above Bitstamp.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
December 31, 2013, 10:04:00 PM
I am glad Coinbase uses Bitstamp, as I believe it is a more honest price standard when I look at what I cant actually transfer out into fiat currency.  Mtgox also seems over priced and no Americans get money out of Mtgox anyway!

Mtnminer
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
December 31, 2013, 09:23:32 PM
I thought it was a known thing that Coinbase uses Bitstamp as their backend (but on a quick search I didn't find proof of it). They aren't an actual exchange AFAIK. You act surprised, though?
Activity: 93
Merit: 10
Software Engineer
December 30, 2013, 08:01:44 PM
I've been researching this for a while, and have noticed that 95% of the time, Coinbase's price is pegged to Bitstamp.  It is especially tight when the market is in decline, and opens up somewhat (not so tightly pegged), when the market is rising rapidly, such as when it was headed for the 1200 mark recently.

I have some charts that show this effect: https://daybittrader.com/ (scroll to the bottom)

You can see there is only a loose relation when compared to Mtgox, but Bitstamp tracks almost every little change.  Has anyone else researched this or noticed this effect?

I have a few months of data if any serious people would like to do research.  I don't want to dump it to the whole world, but you can PM me if you're curious.

***EDIT*** added image from below post:
Pages:
Jump to: