Pages:
Author

Topic: Coinbase IPO isn't good for Bitcoin investors and here is why🧐 - page 2. (Read 333 times)

Activity: 1820
Merit: 566
Coinbase IPO will run according to the US SEC rules and regulations because the centralization features were the top priority of coinbase from the beginning but I don't see their IPO making decentralized coin to end up die cause the exchange only implement a hard rule on their users and that's not meant there IPO to bad to the Bitcoin investors. However, the exchange is not good for every individual whose KYC is a no go area for him.
Activity: 1708
Merit: 125
www.positivebetting.com
No crypto trader/investor is going to buy Coinbase stocks,so your argument is pointless.

Maybe you didn't read the thread.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483
There is no way the stock will hold a $28B value if cryptocurrency is tanking or in a bear market. The demand just isn't there.

why not? that's arbitrary, especially when the whole stock market is a bubble. seen TSLA lately?

you're thinking in terms of the old paradigm where a bear market = "bitcoin is dead" and a 90% drop in price---not one where bitcoin is popularly acknowledged as a legitimate store-of-value asset next to gold, and where wall street and publicly owned companies are invested in bitcoin.

coinbase is the biggest spot exchange on the american market. if commodities were in a bear market, would the value of CME go to shit? of course not. coinbase is, to mainstream/institutional investors, vital infrastructure in a legitimate new asset class. that's huge.....

IMO it only makes sense to either stay away from crypto, or buy the assets. (In the long term)

i'm certainly in the latter camp, but tbh this is like comparing bond investment with tech stock investment. there are people who want predictable ROI (bond investors), and there are people who wanna speculate on riskier assets. to each their own.
Activity: 826
Merit: 266
It is good for Coinbase and for institutes who don't care about privacy or anonymity. Coinbase is bad for privacy and anonymity and it is bad for real bitcoiners. Not all people who invest in bitcoin are bitcoiners and they don't have interest in privacy or anonymity.

I have my neutral opinion with Coinbase as they bring something good and some opposite bad things.

Coinbase the most anti-Bitcoin organisation. Make #DeleteCoinbase great again.
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 3817
🪸 NotYourKeys.org 🪸
No crypto trader/investor is going to buy Coinbase stocks,so your argument is pointless.
Crypto traders and investors will keep buying cryptocurrencies,and Coinbase is just one of many competing platforms,where the investors can buy crypto coins.

Ehh, not really. As an investor, you can invest in both cryptocurrencies and stocks. It isn't necessarily one or the other lol, especially if you're more of an investor that likes to hedge risks by spreading out asset classes. In fact, I myself, a full-fledged bitcoin enthusiast for 5 years, have contemplated with investing in Coinbase's IPO solely for monetary purposes(depending on valuation, of course).
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 5622
Non-custodial BTC Wallet
It means more money coming in to Coinbase's pockets. It doesn't mean any more money being used to buy bitcoin or pump the price.

At the first moment ipo money will go to owners of coinbase which are selling shares of the company. This is what am ipo is..

Then the company will most probably expand , to increase profits, pay dividends and so on.

Company will be more transparent as any company that has shares in stock market must comply to a lot of regulations related to accountability, showing all their balances , and so on.i think it will be safer to use coinbase in some ways  if you don't care about kyc
Just like any broker. I am not afraid of sending my money to a broker, but I am afraid of sending it to coinbase now.

As the company expands, it will naturally attract more people and institutions to buy bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18503
First of all, Coinbase will target institutional ivnestors. This is good for whoever holds bitcoin, because more money coming in.
It means more money coming in to Coinbase's pockets. It doesn't mean any more money being used to buy bitcoin or pump the price.

So from the stock market listing they will have access to funds which they can invest further to innovate their products and probably bring in new products and services which will further widen their business horizon.
I wouldn't count on it. It took Coinbase until last year to finally implement transaction batching, which is an incredibly basic technology which far smaller exchanges and services have been using for years. Coinbase aren't exactly known for their cutting edge development. This will be pure profit for them, nothing more.

The only bad thing about Coinbase being publicly listed,is the fact that the new shareholders will demand bigger profits from Coinbase,so the company will have to increase their service fees.This move will disappoint many crypto users,so they will decide to leave Coinbase.
I doubt they will increase their fees. More likely, their business decisions will just be driven by whatever makes them the most profits at the expense of the users. Insider trade like they did during BCash launch? Implement support for a bunch of shitcoins which their users will lose money on, but they will profit from fees on? Increase the number of government agencies they lease out their privacy invading blockchain analysis software to? All bad for customers, but great for shareholders. Still, if this convinces people to finally leave Coinbase, then that's probably the only good thing that will come out of it.
www.positivebetting.com
Coinbase’s stock price goes up since they are making more profit via the exchange transaction costs. Decentralized currencies also increase, and you’re left with fiat cash that, in return, could buy less of the crypto that you believe in.

a lot of people have the warren buffett mindset---they don't necessarily want to touch speculative assets like bitcoin, but they do want to own equity in profitable bitcoin businesses. buffett hates gold as an investment but recently bought into a gold mining company. same idea there.

there is something i wonder about. coinbase collects fees in cryptocurrency on at least one side of every trade, and has been for many years. does anyone know if they've been keeping any of it as reserves, as opposed to liquidating all of it? i reckon coinbase may already have significant bitcoin/crypto treasuries, like microstrategy and other publicly owned companies are just beginning to have.

also, coinbase, as the biggest american exchange, will make good money whether it's a bull market, bear market, whatever. in a crypto bear market, their stock price may dip on expectations of decreased earnings but i reckon it'll hold up much better than cryptocurrencies will.

There is no way the stock will hold a $28B value if cryptocurrency is tanking or in a bear market. The demand just isn't there.

IMO it only makes sense to either stay away from crypto, or buy the assets. (In the long term)
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483
Coinbase’s stock price goes up since they are making more profit via the exchange transaction costs. Decentralized currencies also increase, and you’re left with fiat cash that, in return, could buy less of the crypto that you believe in.

a lot of people have the warren buffett mindset---they don't necessarily want to touch speculative assets like bitcoin, but they do want to own equity in profitable bitcoin businesses. buffett hates gold as an investment but recently bought into a gold mining company. same idea there.

there is something i wonder about. coinbase collects fees in cryptocurrency on at least one side of every trade, and has been for many years. does anyone know if they've been keeping any of it as reserves, as opposed to liquidating all of it? i reckon coinbase may already have significant bitcoin/crypto treasuries, like microstrategy and other publicly owned companies are just beginning to have.

also, coinbase, as the biggest american exchange, will make good money whether it's a bull market, bear market, whatever. in a crypto bear market, their stock price may dip on expectations of decreased earnings but i reckon it'll hold up much better than cryptocurrencies will.
Activity: 2912
Merit: 900
Crypto traders and investors will keep buying cryptocurrencies,and Coinbase is just one of many competing platforms,where the investors can buy crypto coins.
The only bad thing about Coinbase being publicly listed,is the fact that the new shareholders will demand bigger profits from Coinbase,so the company will have to increase their service fees.This move will disappoint many crypto users,so they will decide to leave Coinbase.
legendary
Activity: 3024
Merit: 1496
Well, a cryptocurrency exchange and a stock market IPO, are positioned differently for different types of investors. We need to remember that Coinbase is one of the oldest crypto wallet providers in the market who had later jumped into becoming an exchange. They have done extremely well in the past and still going strong. So from business perspective, I can see great potential.

So from the stock market listing they will have access to funds which they can invest further to innovate their products and probably bring in new products and services which will further widen their business horizon. Cryptocurrencies are just 11 years old market with a very less penetration among world mass!

So I only see huge opportunities for now! I think it's a must have stock in anyone's portfolio regardless of the future of decentralized currencies. If decentralized cryptos end up dying, new currencies will be created and positioned into the market to fill the gap quickly. We don't have to worry just as now!
Activity: 21
Merit: 0
Before you have a heart attack, the Coinbase IPO will be good for the industry because it will open more people up to cryptocurrency. However, for the woke cryptocurrency investors, the IPO is a bad investment.

Read my 2-minute article for the full story: https://forrestvisions.com/blog/coinbase-ipo-is-a-bad-investment-for-crypto-lovers/

Two things can happen in the long term:

Decentralized currencies end up dying and go down the toilet.
Well then, Coinbase will be hit hard, and you will lose money via the stock price plunging.

or

Decentralized currencies succeed and continue their uptrend.

IMO that Coinbase IPO is really bad of the users of Coinbase itself, On the first place, coinbase shouldnt have released that IPO for their investors and even up to this date, it is actually a controversial one because of the big risks that it brings
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 5622
Non-custodial BTC Wallet
I can't why Coinbase IPO would be bad for bitcoin investors and users.

First of all, Coinbase will target institutional ivnestors. This is good for whoever holds bitcoin, because more money coming in.

Second, Coinbase stocks will also be an amazing alternative for investors who wants to get exposure to bitcoin, but due to regulations cannot by it directly. For example, pension funds. They cannot buy bitcoin, but they can buy a stock of a company that is deeply involved with bitcoin.

Long term, this is the future. We will see in the future more and more IPOs of cryptocurrency related companies. Sadly, ICOs are often related to scams and I don't think big companies consider ICO something serious anymore. An ICO may also hurt a company image.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18503
Coinbase IPO is bad for Coinbase users, but when have Coinbase ever actually cared about their users?

Coinbase IPO is targeted at institutional investors, hedge funds, venture capitalists, etc. The average user will not be able to buy in until the price is already massively inflated and is therefore likely to make a loss or only very marginal gains, all the while pushing the price up and making profit for the big players who were allowed to get in early. This IPO will make Coinbase and the large financial institutions we are trying to escape profit, and does nothing for the average users.

Further, after this IPO, Coinbase now have a duty to make profit for their shareholders above all else. Coinbase have always prioritized making profits at the expense of their users, but this will just make it even worse. Expect worse customer service, more regulations and KYC, more "unexpected" down time, worse fees, and so on.
Activity: 70
Merit: 1
You do have a legit concern and if decentralized currencies die (more chances of that happening), it could be worse than the latter option. So, the best choice would be to act smart, Moreover, all of this goes against the very concept of decentralization.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004
FRX: Ferocious Alpha
Indeed it isn't good. Public traded companies have different responsibilities and less freedom.

But I admire their optimism that can drive a significant change through all crypto businesses - the $28bn valuation (https://twitter.com/asiahodl/status/1339780409542942720).
www.positivebetting.com
Before you have a heart attack, the Coinbase IPO will be good for the industry because it will open more people up to cryptocurrency. However, for the woke cryptocurrency investors, the IPO is a bad investment.

Read my 2-minute article for the full story: https://forrestvisions.com/blog/coinbase-ipo-is-a-bad-investment-for-crypto-lovers/

Two things can happen in the long term:

Decentralized currencies end up dying and go down the toilet.
Well then, Coinbase will be hit hard, and you will lose money via the stock price plunging.

or

Decentralized currencies succeed and continue their uptrend.

Pages:
Jump to: