Pages:
Author

Topic: Coinbase to Support Bitcoin Core Developers - page 2. (Read 345 times)

legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071
October 16, 2020, 05:15:45 AM
one way or another, you can be sure that Coinbase are preparing to influence Bitcoin's development (again).

Mark Andreesen and Brian Armstrong were entirely happy to propose a completely new development team (of their choosing) when they thought they could get away with it in 2017. Recent friendly stories in the newsmedia (about how a-political Coinbase LLC are) hilariously forgot to mention Coinbase's (failed) attempt to politicize Bitcoin itself. This kind of PR-style "advert-orial" just makes Coinbase look even more suspicious.

Andreesen and Armstrong are still a part of Coinbase, and so too are likely other nefarious backers and management. There's no reason to trust Coinbase in their intentions after their manipulative and self-serving record
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1157
October 16, 2020, 04:27:56 AM
Who decides on significant code changes? Wondering what the criteria of that would be whether it would be over x amount of code changes, or a subjective decision from Coinbase.
As per the article, the proposal will be shortlisted by existing core developers and "important" community members. So coinbase is probably not looking for those who have already been core developers like Luke Jr who shared a post on twitter talking about having to go back to working full time after 10 years contributing to bitcoin. Its a bit surprising because core developers like him should probably be comfortably sitting on some old Sats stash.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 2174
Professional Community manager
October 16, 2020, 03:51:43 AM
Who decides on significant code changes? Wondering what the criteria of that would be whether it would be over x amount of code changes, or a subjective decision from Coinbase.
The criteria may be based off the quality of the submissions they get. They are looking for at least two devs to support so the quality of the pool would decide how high the bar gets.

I'm wondering whether this will be split evenly between the different criteria, or if there will be more funds allocated to certain developers, and if this will all be as transparent as possible.
As I said above, they're looking to fund two projects, so it could be split between the two selected. I however could not find any indication at the specific amounts. At the bottom of the publication they hinted at their preference for year long projects, but they would also consider shorter ones, there was also a part about increasing the fund overtime, so it's unlikely there is any fixed figure and their contributions would depend on the feedback from the community.
staff
Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110
October 15, 2020, 04:15:46 PM
Who decides on significant code changes? Wondering what the criteria of that would be whether it would be over x amount of code changes, or a subjective decision from Coinbase. I definitely do agree that this is something good for Bitcoin, and adds a little incentive to the Bitcoin Core Developers was well as those developing related systems which is always a good thing. I'm wondering whether this will be split evenly between the different criteria, or if there will be more funds allocated to certain developers, and if this will all be as transparent as possible.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 2174
Professional Community manager
October 15, 2020, 03:49:06 PM
Coinbase is looking to support two Bitcoin core developers with fund grants to support their projects;

As part of our Crypto Community Fund, Coinbase plans to sponsor at least two Bitcoin developers, who contribute directly to the Bitcoin Core codebase or closely associated Bitcoin projects. We are beginning our search for grant recipients starting today.

We believe helping to connect and grow the cryptoeconomy is essential to building an open financial system for the world. Our Crypto Community Fund aims to grow and improve the entire crypto industry, while making it simpler to use and more secure for everyone. If successful, we intend to expand the program to other types of projects and crypto communities.
I'm not a huge fan of centralized exchanges and Coinbase has been involved in some shady situations over the past years, but this is a good move and could increase interest in development, although I doubt Bitcoin devs are short of inspiration to work with.
Asides the selected projects getting fund grants, this could also be a good way to increase publicity for projects aimed at improving the network.

The grants covers some niche areas;
• Direct contributions to Bitcoin Core (e.g., improving testing, fuzzing, bug fixes, improvements)
• Significant code and/or Bitcoin Improvement Proposal (BIP) review
• Contributor tooling (e.g., bitcoinacks.com, which is open source)
• Bitcoin Core libraries and tools (e.g., libsecp256k1)
• Improvement to testing (e.g., fuzz testing, functional tests)
Source
However, in the Google form for applications, there is a space for More, so if a project doesn't fit the above descriptions it could still be submitted with details and has a chance of getting accepted.

Is there any other aspect of project development you would like to see on the list?
Are there devs you have in mind to nominate? Here is the Google form - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSetlLv4Il7GiX0gwzWPk1-j-8jXQPKBn-MZXZ-ThtjHcxS3Lg/viewform
Pages:
Jump to: