Pages:
Author

Topic: Coinbaser branch's new JSON-RPC method - page 3. (Read 5993 times)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250
October 05, 2011, 05:30:42 PM
So, how do you intend setworkaux to be used?
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
October 05, 2011, 02:19:18 PM
I voted no because of the fine-print in your original post.
The poll was, as stated, unrelated to the "fine print". You asked for consensus on JSON-RPC changes, which has nothing to do with the fine print.
I think setworkaux is OK, but I don't like "doesn't work on windows" changes to support one mining pool.
It might work on Windows with a few changes, but I don't have a Windows system to test on. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/96ayss4b(v=vs.71).aspx

Also, there's nothing Eligius-specific about it.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216
Chief Scientist
October 05, 2011, 02:11:22 PM
I voted no because of the fine-print in your original post.

I think setworkaux is OK, but I don't like "doesn't work on windows" changes to support one mining pool.
legendary
October 05, 2011, 01:46:22 PM
I'd love to hear why someone voted No.
legendary
October 05, 2011, 12:23:12 PM
Link to coinbaser pull request

My coinbaser branch adds a "setworkaux" method to allow miners to add arbitrary coinbase data to their blocks. This is mainly useful to implement merged mining (mining for both bitcoins and namecoins concurrently), but could also be used for miner voting in the future. As with any JSON-RPC change, adding this requires some kind of consensus. Please vote in support. Smiley

This is a backward compatible change.

Unrelated to this poll:
In addition to "setworkaux", coinbaser also adds (non-Windows only!) a "-coinbaser=" command line option to specify a command to execute during "getwork" calls; the command may output data specifying where to assign the generated coins (this is how I do generated payouts on Eligius). It also adds a minor internal restructure of coinbase-creation code, which can be used to more easily implement automatic feature upgrades (OP_EVAL, for example) by miner adoption. These changes are also backward-compatible, and provide useful functionality.
Pages:
Jump to: