Pages:
Author

Topic: Coins kept in exchange, are they safe? - page 12. (Read 5651 times)

copper member
Activity: 73
Merit: 1
September 20, 2018, 07:00:59 PM
Just today Mercatox said they were hacked and coins in hot wallet were stolen.

Yesterday, "Tech Bureau Corp. announced that its cryptocurrency exchange, Zaif, was subject of a major hack resulting in millions of dollars worth of cryptocurrencies stolen" - https://cryptocoin.news/news/another-cryptocurrency-exchange-hacked-20380/

These all goes to show how unsecure some exchanges are. As for me, I prefer to store my currencies in a wallet I have the PK to. That's only when I can sleep easy.

Activity: 555
Merit: 12
September 20, 2018, 06:53:41 PM
Keeping your crypto assets on exchanges is highly risky comparatively. Private wallets are safe. You don't get hacked easily unless you are giving out your private key, or mnemonic phrase or keystore. Also for safety, I will strongly advise when using decentralized exchanges, use web3 browsers like metamask to be safe. So definitely, exchanges are more prone to hack, and not personal wallets as you think. Hope that helps. My humble opinion.
Activity: 70
September 20, 2018, 06:47:36 PM
Store cryptocurrency is not safe anywhere, even on the stock exchange, in any case there are hackers able to hack your wallet and take away the money.
Activity: 196
Merit: 24
September 20, 2018, 10:52:26 AM
Keeping it on an exchange is even more risky than in your wallet. I don't think it is a good thing to keep your tokens on an exchange. Once you are done transacting on the exchange, it is best to withdraw and keep in your wallet.
Activity: 294
Merit: 10
September 20, 2018, 10:44:18 AM
IVE HEARD that some exchanges are not safe to store your tokens in there, but unless you enable some security features like 2fa factor. having this additional security measures makes you think that your assets are safe and secure.
Activity: 504
Merit: 100
September 20, 2018, 10:40:55 AM
I feel keeping our coins in exchanges, mininize the risk of loosing our coins to wallet hackers.

They are but not really as safe as we might think or want to believe. That is why a lot of people are saying that if you want to really store your coins in a safe wallet, avoid having them in exchanges. Of course, the primary choice would be the hard wallets. However, if you are a trader, you need to have them kept in exchanges in order to avoid constant sending which may cost you a lot.
I don't think there is such a thing as absolute safety in the modern world with all these smart people and hackers and great technologies to break the accounts and steal everything. We need to be ready for anything. And take precautions to safeguard our assets.
Activity: 155
September 19, 2018, 10:13:18 PM
I would say they are somewhat safe in the major exchanges.  I also do not send anything I'm not ready to lose which makes large trades difficult.  You need to be careful and trust nothing in this game.  I have had Huobi coin try some bs with me and they seized my money and that's a #3 exchange.
Activity: 90
Merit: 0
September 19, 2018, 10:10:04 PM
I would say Coinbase is the only insured exchange. Although Binance has proven itself to be safe through guardrails they implemented to catch abnormal activity. We  saw sys abnormal activity and hiw their safu mechanism responded in timely manner.
July 3rd at 8:44 PM UTC
The price of SYS shoots up to from 0.0004 BTC to 96 BTC.
July 3rd at ~9:00 PM UTC
Binance shuts down the exchange for unscheduled maintenance.
July 3rd ~ 11:00 PM UTC
Binance resets all API keys as a security precaution.
July 4th ~ 12:00 AM UTC
Binance re-enables API key creation.
July 4th ~ 4:00 AM UTC
Binance completes system maintenance.
July 4th ~ 6:00 AM UTC
These are pretty fast response times for attack that was very well thought out.
Safest way is cold storage hw wallet but binance is not bad either..
Activity: 658
September 19, 2018, 10:06:26 PM
I feel keeping our coins in exchanges, mininize the risk of loosing our coins to wallet hackers.
If you are worried about hackers, you can buy yourself a hard purse to stock up the altcoins that are sure they will not be lost. But you need to spend $ 150 to get that security. Grin
Activity: 74
September 19, 2018, 10:03:18 PM
Coins keep in exchange are not safe in my opinion. Because we have seen lot of time so many exchange has been hacked. So don't hold your coin on exchange and try to keep on your own wallet 
Activity: 448
Merit: 100
LETS GO ADAB
September 19, 2018, 09:50:17 PM

In my own opinion, coins in exchange are safe depending on its reputation, there are issues where some other markets are being hacked and that's how you will avoid unsafe exchangers.
Activity: 464
Merit: 11
SOL.BIOKRIPT.COM
September 19, 2018, 09:36:20 PM
Yes. It was safer that storing your wallet on MEW. Exchange has google authentication and there is no way for hackers to open your account without the code. There are exchange that sent email confirmation with a code before transferring funds. Without that code, the hackers won't be able to do anything on your account. They can just stare and look at your remaining balance.  Cool
Activity: 155
Merit: 0
September 19, 2018, 09:05:50 PM
to the best of my knowledge, I think that coins kept in exchanges are very much safe. To me it feels almost the same with storing them up in your personal wallets. Any of them could be hacked, and as long as you keep them safe on your part, none of your coins could be easily stolen.
Activity: 1008
Merit: 276
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
September 19, 2018, 02:50:21 PM
exchanges are not for keeping your coins, there is no people who suggest to anyone to hold their coins in an exchanges. if you are doing trading, its fine, but using an exchange as wallet to store your altcoins, its very risky thing to do.
Activity: 1203
Merit: 508
Manager of looking busy #citizencosmos
September 19, 2018, 02:47:33 PM
I guess that any centralized exchange is in risk to get hacked. There was a couple of times when big exchanges were hacked and it gave impact to the BTC price much. Maybe anybody remembers MtGox. The market recovered too long, about two years.
Activity: 518
Merit: 115
September 19, 2018, 02:37:53 PM
No, they're not. These are prone to hacks and these exchanges may suddenly shutdown for some reasons and you'll never have your coins back.

Put your coins there if your planning to trade soon. Never keep them for a long period of time.

My advice is you have be updated on all announcements regarding your coins so you'll know when to trade or not.
Activity: 1092
Merit: 254
September 19, 2018, 02:31:02 PM
I do not think that holding coins on the exchange will minimize risks of losses. I think that just on the contrary it opens lots of opportunities for hackers and leads to the bankruptcy of the exchange.
Activity: 845
Merit: 56
September 19, 2018, 01:54:19 PM
Not only is it NOT safe, by enabling hackers to easily steal your coins, you are making no favours to crypto market as a whole! With every major exchange hack, trust of the public falls and with it, the market!
copper member
Activity: 518
Merit: 2
September 19, 2018, 01:48:49 PM
I completely advise against leaving your coins/tokens on the exchange. There is a string likelihood that very many shabby and poor exchanges will fold up hence going down with digital assets of their users. We have seen such examples with the likes of Bitpaction, octaex etc. They folded up and users/investors lost hundreds of thousands of dollars in the process. Also, they is a huge chance of hacks associated with exchanges. I will say, in all that you do, please don't leave your digital assets on the exchanges, withdraw them to an external wallet where you control the keys, it is safer this way.
Activity: 244
Official Street Team member
September 19, 2018, 01:45:35 PM
Exchange wallets are not yours, remember. So, technically, you are not the owner of your funds as long as those are kept in exchange. Anytime, you may lose your fund. Also, your account may be frozen for various reason.
Keeping your fund in your own wallet is the safest way to be safest.
Pages:
Jump to: