Pages:
Author

Topic: coins on different exchanges? - page 2. (Read 579 times)

Activity: 350
Merit: 122
October 26, 2017, 01:07:40 PM
Each coin listed on an exchange uses resources.  Many seem to think they they have infinite resources but they don't.  They have to prioritize which they believe will give the best returns.

GDAX, Coinbase, etc. I would refer to as "gateway" exchanges.  They are like the buffer zone between alts and fiat and not really geared towards trading with other altcoins.  It is the business model they chose and until someone decides to take on both (would be ideal for us--not for them) the "boundary"/distinction will remain.
Activity: 196
Merit: 11
October 26, 2017, 01:03:14 PM
Some exchanges like EtherDelta seem to list just about everything, but bigger exchanges have higher standards. For example, from Bittrex: "We strive to only list “use” tokens or tokens which represent a good or service."

Yes bittrex offers much more coins, but I don't like the interface and I don't like buying altcoins with BTC.
To be fair they also have ETH and USDT markets, but I can see how no fiat support might turn some people away. For me it's a plus because I know if it was that easy I'd dump all my money away into some altcoin that would immediately crash Tongue
Activity: 2142
Merit: 254
October 26, 2017, 12:55:08 PM
An exchange like kraken only lists a couple of big coins also (BTC, LTC, ETH, ETC, XMR) but I like trading there because you can use fiat money to buy altcoins. Easy interface also to buy/sell.
Yes bittrex offers much more coins, but I don't like the interface and I don't like buying altcoins with BTC.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
October 26, 2017, 12:49:48 PM
Exhanges are commercial shops, they choose what works for them. That's why they delist poor performers every now and then
Activity: 658
Merit: 256
October 26, 2017, 12:40:42 PM
Yes I agree that coinbase is mainly used as an exchange. For trading, Poloniex, Bittrex and Binance are much better. And most importantly the fees are lower.

Poloniex, Bittrex and Binance choose to list the coins with volumes. If there aren’t much demand, there is no point in listing or maintenance since the earnings in fees are low.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288
October 26, 2017, 12:20:50 PM
Anyone know how or why certain exchanges only choose to carry certain coins? An exchange like coinbase only offers BTC, LTC and ETH. I don't even see the point of trading there.

The point of exchanges is not for a trading but for a exchanging. If you have a currency that coinbase have a pair and you need a currency that is also in that pair then you will use coin base.  After you do the exchange you pull your coins to our personal wallet that no one can loot and use them to buy yourself stuff that you need on regular basic.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
October 26, 2017, 11:43:03 AM
Anyone know how or why certain exchanges only choose to carry certain coins? An exchange like coinbase only offers BTC, LTC and ETH. I don't even see the point of trading there.
Pages:
Jump to: