Pages:
Author

Topic: Coins with active devs, per Heartbleed bug example - page 3. (Read 8872 times)

Activity: 627
Merit: 501
Tagcoin updated
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
Coins that are based on bitcoin versions older than 0.9.0 should be fine though, right? Since the bug was only introduced recently and is not present in older openssl versions.

More FUD please.  Tongue

not precisely.

rather, I feel it is the importance to 'examine' if they are vulnerable and announce it, this is the act of a good dev team.

Activity: 112
Merit: 11
Not every coin is effected by the bug, it really depends if the coin uses TLS in public operations, this is something bitcoin does use. If it does, it's vulnerable to the heartbleed bug. But not every coin uses this functionality, and those coins which do not are not vulnerable to the bug. Our developer has already looked into this for us,  Einsteinium (EMC2) does not use the functionality which is in question with the heartbleed bug. However, to be on the safe side we will be implimenting the fix in the next wallet. We actually have a pretty active dev, they implimented a hard fork to fix the KGW issue and replaced it with digishield over the weekend.

Not every scrypt coin uses this functionality, many are implimenting the fix for PR than actual need. If your developer is active, they will clearly express how the vulnerability effects the coin, if it does at all.
Activity: 812
Merit: 250
The Fourth Generation of Blockchain in DeFi
Coins that are based on bitcoin versions older than 0.9.0 should be fine though, right? Since the bug was only introduced recently and is not present in older openssl versions.

More FUD please.  Tongue
Activity: 42
worldcoin appears to have just patched it too.

official announcement on worldcoinforum.org: under discussion
Activity: 218
Merit: 115
Offerings to Cthulhu has been patched as of last night.
Activity: 15
31 out of Huh
Activity: 109
Merit: 10
Whats the point? Lots of coins will get updated with time

Would you say the same thing if the lock to your local bank vault was broken?

Exploits like Heartbleed need to be patched up ASAP.

I agree, these coins are a game to some people. But the reality is people are using these coins for real tangible financial transactions. If you are not willing to update, DON'T CREATE A COIN!
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

Would you say the same thing if the lock to your local bank vault was broken?

Exploits like Heartbleed need to be patched up ASAP.
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
mintcoin wallet version 1.8
legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167
MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG
beecoins developer has fixed their wallet too now.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=559876.80
Activity: 321
Peercoin has the bug basically fixed since yesterday morning. The fix has not yet been applied to the official client, though...
But it is effectively of low importance for Peercoin, because unlike in Bitcoin 0.9.0 where is a "Payment Protocol feature" that is called BIP70 this Payment Protocol feature is NOT in Peercoin 0.4; hence no need to hurry Wink

Activity: 109
Merit: 10
It's good to see a lot of good devs out there actually working on their coins, it really shows which coins may be worth investing in if you ask me.

I agree. Altcoins should be a breeding ground for innovation, and that can only happen with active devs. We should not be supporting coins with fake devs or inactive devs.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000
I would be nice in saying that any coin that takes longer than 1 week to update, should be avoided like the black plague.
Cryptos is a game of speed so a big thank you to all the great devs who reacted quickly to this "heartbleed" issue.
Activity: 290
Anoncoin servers updated upon bug disclosure. New wallets will be available as they are built.

Why does the wallet update get such big attention compared to the websites, and servers (infrastructure) surrounding the coin?
The only way a wallet could potentially be exploited is by enabling rpcssl (not enabled by default), and rpcallowip from other IP's than your own computer/server in the config file. Anyone running said configuration is already begging for the coins to be stolen regardless of heartbleed.
Activity: 146
Merit: 100
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 2008
First Exclusion Ever
WWW.INFINITECOIN.COM - PLEASE DOWNLOAD 1.8.7 FOR HEARTBLEED FIX
Activity: 266
ECCoin yesterday... did update
Pages:
Jump to: