Pages:
Author

Topic: CoinStar - page 2. (Read 9415 times)

Activity: 807
Merit: 500
October 31, 2014, 06:35:14 AM
Coinstar does not charge people 9% for changing USD -> USD, but they rather automate the process of converting large amounts of coins into a "format" that is spendable, as most banks will not accept large amounts of change/coin that is not "wrapped" by denomination.

The fact that a coinstar machine is expensive to produce as this kind of technology is not cheap (to count and sort coins deposited in mass) and needs to be audit-able will make it less likely that there will be a machine that converts change into bitcoin. Any operator would need to cover the costs of the machine plus some margin in converting their fiat into bitcoin
Interesting, every bank I have asked in the last several years accepts loose change, but not wrapped change (it has been 10+ years since a bank has accepted wrapped change from me).  Most of them have their own coin counting machines and don't charge members to deposit the loose change.  One of them even told me they don't have a coin counting machine, but will count my change by hand for no charge (and will not accept wrapped coins, and I was a member).  We are only talking about 5+ banks here, but with 100% consistency, they accept loose change and not wrapped change, so either I live in the twilight zone, or Coinstar is for the unbanked and uninformed.
Activity: 32
Merit: 0
October 31, 2014, 03:21:40 AM
cool idea, hope someone can make it real, and i would like to try it!
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
October 31, 2014, 02:39:37 AM
Coinstar does not charge people 9% for changing USD -> USD, but they rather automate the process of converting large amounts of coins into a "format" that is spendable, as most banks will not accept large amounts of change/coin that is not "wrapped" by denomination.

The fact that a coinstar machine is expensive to produce as this kind of technology is not cheap (to count and sort coins deposited in mass) and needs to be audit-able will make it less likely that there will be a machine that converts change into bitcoin. Any operator would need to cover the costs of the machine plus some margin in converting their fiat into bitcoin

Right - they charge people 9.8% for the service of converting loose change into a more spendable form of fiat.  However - you may also choose to convert to an Amazon or ITunes gift card as well as other options for ZERO fee (presumably in this case Amazon/Apple etc are paying CoinStar a somewhat reduced fee based on volume.)  So why couldn't Coinbase or Circle or?Huh do the same thing?  Now - you might be talking paying a 15% or so premium by the time you get the btc - something akin to going the Paypal to Virwox to btc route, but we're again talking about small amounts of btc for the loose change sitting in a jar or on your bedroom floor right now.

Anyway - I'm interested to see both the interest and the level of negativity that various users have about this.  Glad to at least inspire a bit of conversation at least
I could see a potential machine that would convert large amounts of lose change into bitcoin for a 15% fee. This would essentially be the same as converting change into cash then taking the cash and going to a BTC ATM that charges a 5% fee (which I would consider reasonable).

Another twist to your idea would be to open a BTC ATM near a coinstar machine that accepts both cash and a coinstar voucher (only vouchers from the neighboring machine). The ATM could validate and process the voucher instantly (and the ATM operator would likely have some kind of agreement with the operator of the coinstar machine
legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458
October 23, 2014, 01:44:13 AM

Right - they charge people 9.8% for the service of converting loose change into a more spendable form of fiat.  However - you may also choose to convert to an Amazon or ITunes gift card as well as other options for ZERO fee (presumably in this case Amazon/Apple etc are paying CoinStar a somewhat reduced fee based on volume.)  So why couldn't Coinbase or Circle or?Huh do the same thing?  Now - you might be talking paying a 15% or so premium by the time you get the btc - something akin to going the Paypal to Virwox to btc route, but we're again talking about small amounts of btc for the loose change sitting in a jar or on your bedroom floor right now.

Anyway - I'm interested to see both the interest and the level of negativity that various users have about this.  Glad to at least inspire a bit of conversation at least

amazon and itunes offer a retailer a nice commission anyways (probably 10%) and due to the fact usually to activate the itunes / amazon cards costs retailers the labour at a stores cashier desk activating plastic cards. and ofcourse the physical cost of plastic cards and shipping/display, thus its cheaper to offer it via the coinstar box as it removes those costs. so with the savings they make by having a machine do it electronically and automatically plus getting commission from itunes/amazon, a retailer/coinstar can offer the amazon/itunes codes at zero fee from the box.

just like if coinstar had a way to do bitcoins. they will make their commission from the variations of the markets (like how some bitcoinATM's and circle pretend to be zero fee)
Activity: 215
Merit: 105
Poorer than I ought to be
October 23, 2014, 12:57:22 AM

Activity: 1328
Merit: 563
MintDice.com | TG: t.me/MintDice
October 22, 2014, 10:09:47 PM
cool idea, doubt coinstar would do this type of integration until way down the road though.
Activity: 210
October 22, 2014, 08:31:30 PM
I had this idea today - and should probably try to develop it myself but that won't really happen.  So - anyway I'm just going to leave this here and see if anyone will run with it.

You know those CoinStar machines in supermarkets etc?  (in USA afaik)  They convert small change into USD for a fee of about 9% - most of them now also have the option to buy various gift cards for the full value of your change (Amazon, ITunes, various restaurants etc...)

In a Bitcoin ATM thread two years ago:
How about a business like CoinStar machines giving out BitCoins. They already have a business model charging dummies 9.8% for exchanging USD->USD. You'd only need a better way of giving machines your address than typing in 34 digits, a "print qr code for this address" in Bitcoin is a first step. Make a good usage model where interacting with the machines isn't hard (starting with a universal "pay to me" card that can give differing machines your bitcoin address) and they might consider it.

"An estimated 84 percent of coinstar users are women". Not going to comment on this one.

They recently sold off their money transfer business to Sigue, a company that profits from what Bitcoin does for free (http://www.sigue.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=122&Itemid=114), so they don't have a conflict of interest in now promoting an instant and free money transfer method.

tss
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
October 22, 2014, 01:35:42 PM
yes what a great idea.  also lets get the bottle redemption machines to print bitcoin qr codes as well.  and lets set up wallets for roadside beggars.  im sure their local dope dealers will accept their bitcoins as well.
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
October 22, 2014, 03:09:56 AM
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018
HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com
October 22, 2014, 02:23:25 AM
i see what you mean -- literally a coinstar machine -- got you.

that would be crazy. it would also provide a purpose for that big ass water jug full of pennies at my in-laws house. i'd commandeer that sh!t quick-fast.

Yep - that's EXACTLY my point.  Hopefully someone with some business sense will run with this and make a little money while providing a service as well

I wish this could be a software based fix and we can piggyback off of coinstar's existing infrastructure instead.

Join me with @Outerwall on twitter to request that they do the 'software update' on their coinstar and redbox kiosks - redbox sort've presents a small issue, unless they do a reverse model whereby with btc you are required to pay the full value of the media up-front and the service then sends the remaining bitcoin back to the originating address upon confirmation of the returned media.
mkc
Activity: 517
Merit: 501
October 22, 2014, 01:53:11 AM
I think this is a great idea! Make it with upper limit like $100, and no user information nedded. If this is the case, this will be the nest way I buy btc.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032
October 22, 2014, 12:46:39 AM
I had this idea today - and should probably try to develop it myself but that won't really happen.  So - anyway I'm just going to leave this here and see if anyone will run with it.

You know those CoinStar machines in supermarkets etc?  (in USA afaik)  They convert small change into USD for a fee of about 9% - most of them now also have the option to buy various gift cards for the full value of your change (Amazon, ITunes, various restaurants etc...)

In a Bitcoin ATM thread two years ago:
How about a business like CoinStar machines giving out BitCoins. They already have a business model charging dummies 9.8% for exchanging USD->USD. You'd only need a better way of giving machines your address than typing in 34 digits, a "print qr code for this address" in Bitcoin is a first step. Make a good usage model where interacting with the machines isn't hard (starting with a universal "pay to me" card that can give differing machines your bitcoin address) and they might consider it.

"An estimated 84 percent of coinstar users are women". Not going to comment on this one.

They recently sold off their money transfer business to Sigue, a company that profits from what Bitcoin does for free (http://www.sigue.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=122&Itemid=114), so they don't have a conflict of interest in now promoting an instant and free money transfer method.
Activity: 206
October 21, 2014, 11:24:14 PM

one thing im learning from the research im doing now is that coinstar do not pick up the coins and put it into their bank. instead the shop empties the machine and then puts it into the shops bank account. thus i think if i get a reply it would be something like the retailer has to offer a bitcoin exchange service to be able to offer it through their box. as the funds never really reach outerwall inc

That makes sense - there is really not much point in sending a truck around to pick up the change - the supermarket/Wal-Mart already has that happening - so yes some existing service would ideally be involved.  In the US either Coinbase or Circle spring to mind.  I suppose they might both have problems with AML/KYC type issues - and now that I think about it there's probably no viable way to get around those regulations in the United States.  But again I doubt that anyone using CoinStar to get some fraction of a btc will be all that concerned about strict anonymity.
If the store deposits the coins to their bank account directly (or uses the coins as change at their registers) then the stores are likely paying coinstar some percentage of the revenue in exchange for the machine, or some kind of other franchise type arrangement. I would think in order for this to be potentially implemented that the individual stores would need to be on board to do this.
Activity: 182
October 21, 2014, 11:00:43 PM
ultra-low cost contributes to the payment function,but  the payment functions now is not reflected, more and more people hold the Bitcoin only used to store value
October 21, 2014, 09:53:44 PM

one thing im learning from the research im doing now is that coinstar do not pick up the coins and put it into their bank. instead the shop empties the machine and then puts it into the shops bank account. thus i think if i get a reply it would be something like the retailer has to offer a bitcoin exchange service to be able to offer it through their box. as the funds never really reach outerwall inc

That makes sense - there is really not much point in sending a truck around to pick up the change - the supermarket/Wal-Mart already has that happening - so yes some existing service would ideally be involved.  In the US either Coinbase or Circle spring to mind.  I suppose they might both have problems with AML/KYC type issues - and now that I think about it there's probably no viable way to get around those regulations in the United States.  But again I doubt that anyone using CoinStar to get some fraction of a btc will be all that concerned about strict anonymity.
legendary
October 21, 2014, 08:41:23 PM
- and I'm 99% sure they are internet connected.  I'm not sure if distributing private keys at the location is feasible or if some sort of redemption code would make it simpler.

Even without internet the machine could print a dollar denominated voucher for Coinbase or a similar operator. The user would go to the website and be guided through setting up an account if he doesn't have one. His dollars would be converted to Bitcoin at the time he enters the voucher number on the site at the then current rate. Coinbase would collect dollars from CoinStar.

ffe
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
October 21, 2014, 05:58:51 PM
- and I'm 99% sure they are internet connected.  I'm not sure if distributing private keys at the location is feasible or if some sort of redemption code would make it simpler.

Even without internet the machine could print a dollar denominated voucher for Coinbase or a similar operator. The user would go to the website and be guided through setting up an account if he doesn't have one. His dollars would be converted to Bitcoin at the time he enters the voucher number on the site at the then current rate. Coinbase would collect dollars from CoinStar.

legendary
October 21, 2014, 05:35:52 PM
i can think of several different ways to implementing it. with a variety of ways of being anonymous or being a simple solution for customers. hopefully i get a positive reply from coinstar and can get a little more detailed with options, methods, explanations

That's correct.  I was talking about volatility with regard to the consumers.  That being said, I still think it's a great idea.
people wanting bitcoin to then instantly buy something is not the mindset of bitcoin 2014 (innovation stage) once bitcoin moves into the mass adoption stage the volatility would be smaller and more manageable so think long term picture. not just about today.

alot of people still think bitcoin will disappear in a couple months and get emotional about 1% fluctuations. relax people bitcoin is still like a toddler. screaming at its superiors and peers for attention, crying when it doesn't get what it wants and doesn't like being told what to do.

bitcoin has a long life ahead to grow up and become independent. so stop imagining the problems it will have running before its started to even walk
Activity: 15
Merit: 0
October 21, 2014, 05:31:49 PM
That's correct.  I was talking about volatility with regard to the consumers.  That being said, I still think it's a great idea.
October 21, 2014, 05:18:02 PM
On the east coast at least there is a CoinStar in most grocery stores and Wal-Mart's already.  This for me is a central point of the play - no one really needs any major capital expense to start this up.  The network of machines exists - and I'm 99% sure they are internet connected.  I'm not sure if distributing private keys at the location is feasible or if some sort of redemption code would make it simpler.

But this would reduce one of the major barriers to entry for people wanting to 'dip their toe' into btc.  Anyway - glad to see people are liking the idea - I hope it happens
Pages:
Jump to: