Pages:
Author

Topic: Cointerra trip report - page 2. (Read 8797 times)

Activity: 702
Merit: 500
December 06, 2013, 08:11:29 AM

Ricky and Javed...   Whats a collective noun for asic engineers?   these guys are working on secret squirrel stuff that i wasn't told about (but its probably their next gen)

Apparently its a geek of engineers.  or something!?   http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Glossary_of_collective_nouns_by_subject
December 06, 2013, 08:07:06 AM

A close-up of the cooling pumps that attach to the asics

a close-up of the under side of a cooling pump, so you can see the pre-installed thermal paste (and plastic cover which is removed when mounted)

December 06, 2013, 08:04:10 AM
A couple of photos i forgot to add coming up...

Activity: 93
Merit: 10
December 06, 2013, 06:03:29 AM
looks like december batch will be late ...
Activity: 195
Merit: 100
December 06, 2013, 05:44:48 AM
fantastic photos. these pics are giving cointerra a lot of credibility. great work.
Activity: 543
Merit: 502
December 06, 2013, 05:11:21 AM
Yeah pics aren't loading for me either.

Would be great to see inside the beast!
Activity: 616
Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)
December 05, 2013, 08:12:26 PM
Are some of those photos failing to load for anyone else?
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
December 05, 2013, 08:05:58 PM
Nice keyboards!
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3079
December 05, 2013, 07:36:55 PM
This comment is only for those mining from their homes.

I hope those power supplies are quieter than my 350W 1U power supplies. I had 8 1U racks in my basement at one time and it was quite a racket.

Can't comment on the noise output yet, but the fans for liquid cooling tend to be fairly low RPM, and the blade size appears to be on the large end of the scale (looks like 12cm). This will make for a lower frequency noise, which is easily blocked out by a closed door and/or the stairs from your basement.

The power supplies are the type (dimensions) that come with your average server box, so they'll be well specified for always-on operation (although not as commonly stocked if a replacement is ever needed). What that will mean for the noise output... well, with 2200W in total, it sounds as the Mk. IV unit will allow significant power headroom, such that the PSU fans won't be running at full speed. The fans are smaller in these units though, which means a higher pitched noise than your typical ATX form PSU, although in practice they tend not to be very loud at that pitch (my experience is that it's difficult to tell with a bunch of other equipment in the room drowning them out, but that's only a good indication when you think about it)

Less of an improvised design than previous ASIC's, in fact it seems that everything is being done to make it possible to talk over a room full of these things  Cheesy. I'm sure there are some datacenter managers (both professional and, um, amateur) that will forever curse the BFL or Avalon approach to cooling and noise.
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3079
December 05, 2013, 07:23:38 PM
Will all the units be rackmount cases? I didn't see any option for that in the order form. Rackmount cases would definitely be my preference.

Would it be possible to get "de-badged" cases? Just thinking of those people who have to think about the scruples of those who they're employing to do moving jobs that include these units. With "Terra Miner" and "Coin-terra" written all over the cases, I don't think there's any real way of keeping the purpose of the devices at all discreet. Some bright spark will inevitably start talking about this in their leisure time, or worse, decide themselves to plan a heist on a datacenter or home residence.

i will ask if you can buy the cases without markings but i suspect not.  you can always buy a sharpie and black it out as it seems to be just white graphic on a black background

Strategically placed duct tape could of course provide a beaten up innocuous look, as well.
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001
December 05, 2013, 07:18:59 PM
Excellent pics, and thank you for taking the time to visit them and post your experiences. It's nice to see things moving along, though hopefully the upcoming pics will be of the PCBs and ASICs Wink
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
December 05, 2013, 07:15:00 PM
This comment is only for those mining from their homes.

I hope those power supplies are quieter than my 350W 1U power supplies. I had 8 1U racks in my basement at one time and it was quite a racket.
December 05, 2013, 07:13:37 PM
Will all the units be rackmount cases? I didn't see any option for that in the order form. Rackmount cases would definitely be my preference.

Would it be possible to get "de-badged" cases? Just thinking of those people who have to think about the scruples of those who they're employing to do moving jobs that include these units. With "Terra Miner" and "Coin-terra" written all over the cases, I don't think there's any real way of keeping the purpose of the devices at all discreet. Some bright spark will inevitably start talking about this in their leisure time, or worse, decide themselves to plan a heist on a datacenter or home residence.

i will ask if you can buy the cases without markings but i suspect not.  you can always buy a sharpie and black it out as it seems to be just white graphic on a black background

Activity: 428
Merit: 250
BitcoinEvo [$XBTE]
December 05, 2013, 07:12:37 PM
STOP being so cool  Angry  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
December 05, 2013, 07:11:05 PM

And the final photo for the day... showing the box from the front, with the cooling system mounted in it.  Look carefully and you can see the thermal paste underneath the 'cold plate' that mounts onto the asic.
December 05, 2013, 07:09:43 PM

Two power supplies mounted into the case...

Shows the power supplies mounted in the box
December 05, 2013, 07:07:56 PM

This is Jon at Ascendant, looking very excited that the power supply prototypes have arrived !

an 'unboxing'...!

the Power One power supply is 1100 watts, and is very small.  there's two of them in the box...

December 05, 2013, 07:04:37 PM

This is the obligatory 'Box Full of Fans' !   (only this time, with no fans)

This is showing the prototype liquid cooling system including the custom radiator (a massive hunk of metal)

You can see two head units (cold plates, with thermal paste, and built-in pumps) for the asics connected by tubes into the radiator (in parallel, not series).   Cold liquid comes out the bottom of the radiator, pumps around the asic, then returns to the top of the radiator (where fans Cool It).  hey, Cool IT.. a coincidence!?

You can also see the paper 'pcb mockup'.   This Paper Circuit Board (pcb, for short) is very lightweight and literally is paper thin.   Of course, its hashing power is no match for the real pcb, that apparently, arrives tomorrow.  i might be able to get a picture of the new pcb.

December 05, 2013, 06:57:00 PM

this was the original cointerra fpga prototype and is now consigned to Ascendant's museum

December 05, 2013, 06:55:43 PM

This is a prototype board.   The big wires there are to put high loads on the system to test out the circuits and dc/dc converters (the asic is absent which hopefully arrives in late december)

Pages:
Jump to: