Pages:
Author

Topic: Cold / Offline Storage! - page 2. (Read 1510 times)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
February 25, 2014, 11:21:12 PM
I'm stumped again, how can I create a couple of secure cold wallet addresses to store 0.5 in each!

I have a USB stick to install Linux or Tails or something, I need a reliable way to generate a private key and public address!
Activity: 732
Merit: 500
Nosce te Ipsum
February 25, 2014, 10:51:27 PM
Hi Gang,

I have 2 Bitcoin that I need to store securely, it doesn't have to be tinfoil hat proof just safe....

I have 1 Laptop and 2 USB sticks that I can use... I am semi noob at this so I need help

Any advice?...

save the private key from the wallet. EG if using bitcoin-qt. go to the command prompt and do the dump private key command. save the private key on a word document, print it out.

then save the wallet file itself in a different directory of laptop, on a memory stick.

that way you now have:
original wallet in its default location
elsewhere on PC
on a memory stick
on paper.

just be sure no stranger you dont trust finds the bit of paper and works out what it is. make sure no stranger has access to your PC and make sure you dont download precompiled programs related to bitcoin unless verified by a truly trusted party. (EG never the creator of the qt / mining program... but some unaffiliated person of good rep)

.. i personally have it in paper form. printed 10 times and scattered in different locations, my family have access to it. but that is it

Don't forget to add, make sure you never ever go online with that PC/laptop again! If you do, then they are NO LONGER cold storage!!!
February 25, 2014, 10:47:47 PM
Sounds good, I just need to have my Bitcoin secure for a few months!
legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
February 25, 2014, 10:06:04 PM
Hi Gang,

I have 2 Bitcoin that I need to store securely, it doesn't have to be tinfoil hat proof just safe....

I have 1 Laptop and 2 USB sticks that I can use... I am semi noob at this so I need help

Any advice?...

save the private key from the wallet. EG if using bitcoin-qt. go to the command prompt and do the dump private key command. save the private key on a word document, print it out.

then save the wallet file itself in a different directory of laptop, on a memory stick.

that way you now have:
original wallet in its default location
elsewhere on PC
on a memory stick
on paper.

just be sure no stranger you dont trust finds the bit of paper and works out what it is. make sure no stranger has access to your PC and make sure you dont download precompiled programs related to bitcoin unless verified by a truly trusted party. (EG never the creator of the qt / mining program... but some unaffiliated person of good rep)

.. i personally have it in paper form. printed 10 times and scattered in different locations, my family have access to it. but that is it
February 25, 2014, 10:04:44 PM
I'm aware of that site, I am just worried about it generating a bad address and when I come to recover my coins I will slam my fist onto my desk and scream "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

Is it possible to run BitAddress offline on a USB OS like Linux or use Tails or something?
Activity: 139
Merit: 100
RatingExpertise.com
February 25, 2014, 10:01:57 PM
Yes make paper wallet and forget all kinds of usb storages. https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Paper_wallet
Activity: 732
Merit: 500
Nosce te Ipsum
February 25, 2014, 09:58:28 PM
Hi Gang,

Any advice?...
Pages:
Jump to: