Pages:
Author

Topic: complete CD/USB/PXE bootable p2pool miner - p2pcoin - page 2. (Read 24148 times)

kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024
My personal p2pcoin rig farm found a block.  I haven't been watching every coinbase looking for the [P2COINv0] tag, so this might not have been the very first one found with this setup, but it is the first one that I know of.

Amencon, did your node finish downloading the chains and start up?
Activity: 410
Merit: 250
Ok so with fresh downloaded ISO and a different USB stick it booted up with no trouble, the previous issue must have been something on my end.

Now that its up and running, in the LXTerminal I'm seeing "Waiting for local namecoin node to catch up (986)" over and over again for about 30min now.  I'm assuming this is something I'll just have to wait out?

While this is happening I don't seem to be able to run bitcoin client or the file viewer (when clicked from the menu nothing shows up, no error messages).  Everything else seems to work as it should.
kjj
legendary
0.4 released to upgrade p2pool to 0.11.1.  See forrestv's post.

The network will switch automatically when adoption hits 95%, so there is no hard date.  Better sooner than later, I suppose, but doesn't appear to be super urgent yet.
Hmm ok, hopefully will have more luck with another stick tonight then.

As a side note I currently have BAMT mining away (booted up and worked no trouble) on the stick I was originally trying p2pcoin with.

I will still do my best to get p2pcoin up and running rather than just sticking with BAMT though.
kjj
legendary
I just tested this out.  I didn't have a brand new USB drive, but I have a pile of old ones, so I used DD to zero out a spare 4GB drive.  Then I plugged it into a windows box (XP) and formatted it as FAT32.  Then used unetbootin on Windows to write the 0.3.1 ISO image and used the Windows USB disconnect thing.  Then I switched off one of my rigs, plugged it in, turned it back on.

Booted fine, mining away as I type this.

I googled the messages you are getting, and they weren't very helpful.  Maybe try different RAM?  Seems like a long shot, but someone else reported success that way.
Yes I did (both times, as I tried re-downloading formatting stick and re-installing).  Tonight I'll try from scratch using another stick or 2 I have lying around.
kjj
legendary
Hey kjj,

Just put together a small rig (5830 and 5850 currently with 4GB RAM) and thought I'd test this out.  I know very little about linux as I've only used ubuntu and BT before and haven't used them heavily, so if you can help me get this working I'm sure almost anyone else would be able to do it too.

I downloaded the latest 0.3.1 version and used UNetBootin to burn it to a thumbdrive (32GB).

When I boot from the USB stick I see a boot menu a few options:

Default: error message "cat: can't open '/sys/block/*/removable' : No such file or directory" (repeated many times)
LinuxCoin (all): error message "cat: can't open '/sys/block/*/removable' : No such file or directory" (repeated many times)
p2pcoin: error message "Invalid or corrupt kernel image"

Any idea what the problem might be?

In the meantime I'll try re-downloading the torrent in case the download got corrupted for some reason.

Thanks!

After you ran unetbootin, did you properly dismount the drive before unplugging it?
Hey kjj,

Just put together a small rig (5830 and 5850 currently with 4GB RAM) and thought I'd test this out.  I know very little about linux as I've only used ubuntu and BT before and haven't used them heavily, so if you can help me get this working I'm sure almost anyone else would be able to do it too.

I downloaded the latest 0.3.1 version and used UNetBootin to burn it to a thumbdrive (32GB).

When I boot from the USB stick I see a boot menu a few options:

Default: error message "cat: can't open '/sys/block/*/removable' : No such file or directory" (repeated many times)
LinuxCoin (all): error message "cat: can't open '/sys/block/*/removable' : No such file or directory" (repeated many times)
p2pcoin: error message "Invalid or corrupt kernel image"

Any idea what the problem might be?

In the meantime I'll try re-downloading the torrent in case the download got corrupted for some reason.

Thanks!
kjj
legendary
0.3.1 posted.  CD booting works again, at least for me.  Let me know if anyone else has problems with it.
kjj
legendary
I tried version .3 from a DVD and USB. When booting from the DVD I got the p2pcoin screen and it just counts down from 10 and keep restarting back to 10. When I tried from USB using UNETBOOTIN it just brought up a blank terminal window with "BOOT:". I will keep watching this and test when the next version comes out.

That's odd.  I've never seen that before.  I'll check it out tomorrow morning.

Ok, the 0.3 ISO posted does fail to boot when burned to a CD.  I'll have 0.3.1 out with a fix soon.

I just tested it by using unetbootin on a Windows box to write it to a formatted USB stick.  For me, the USB boot still works fine.  Is the partition on your USB device marked as bootable?
rjk
Activity: 448
1ngldh
Activity: 616
Merit: 506
How about BitKnot that is short and easy to remember..

That makes no sense bro, and it has the word 'bit' in it.

This is less confusing, and doesn't have bit, coin, miner, or anything in the name

may i suggest...

kjj
legendary
I tried version .3 from a DVD and USB. When booting from the DVD I got the p2pcoin screen and it just counts down from 10 and keep restarting back to 10. When I tried from USB using UNETBOOTIN it just brought up a blank terminal window with "BOOT:". I will keep watching this and test when the next version comes out.

That's odd.  I've never seen that before.  I'll check it out tomorrow morning.
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
kjj
legendary
Activity: 140
Merit: 100

That makes no sense bro, and it has the word 'bit' in it.

This is less confusing, and doesn't have bit, coin, miner, or anything in the name

kjj
legendary
p2pcoin users need to update to version 0.3 ASAP.  This is due to a change in p2pool.  Sorry for the short notice.  I was out of town last week and somehow missed forrestv's post when I was catching up.
Activity: 305
Trust but confirm!

kjj
legendary
This is a fantastic idea! Well done sir! I think i'll start using it soon myself Smiley Probably on a HDD rather than a USB stick though..

One thing I would say is please change the name! When I clicked on this I was expecting to see another crazy alt-coin!

Because of the network provisioning, I get the best results with PXE booting and RAM drive.  No storage in my nodes at all.

Any suggestions for a new name?  I wanted to keep it similar to linuxcoin out of respect for Drgr33n's base that I built on, but clearly indicate that it uses p2pool.

With a fleet of rigs, I feel like BAMT is a better choice.  Running a p2pool node on every one of your miners is unnecessary.

Yeah, probably unnecessary.  But it takes no more effort to do.
Until updates come around.

Updates are super easy.  Just burn a new CD, write a new flash drive, or replace your PXE image, then reboot fully.
kjj
legendary
0.2 torrent file is missing, fix link please so i can add it to my share machine Cheesy

Fixed.  Not sure how my script missed that.  Thanks for pointing it out.
Pages:
Jump to: