Pages:
Author

Topic: Computer No Longer Works, Restoring Electrum? - page 2. (Read 2371 times)

Activity: 770
Merit: 500
🌟 COMSA ICO: 10/02/17 🌟
September 24, 2016, 05:55:55 AM
okay thanks.  Can anyone here who restored electrum recently tell me the exact directions on this?  And such as did you restore it on new computer, same computer, same computer when reinstalled?

I basically just dragged the electrum 2.6 file into my usb.  Does that mean i did it the wrong way?  I had assumed that was right?  Or its wrong?

I don't mind restoring my electrum with the file or the usb or the 12 word phrase.  

Activity: 798
Merit: 506
Thank satoshi
September 24, 2016, 05:55:00 AM
Hi there.  Which password are you talking about?  Do you mean when sending bitcoin?  Because whenever i send bitcoin, i had to type in the password.  I do have this.  Or you mean something else?
I haven't restored Electrum wallet in quite a while but yes, that is if they prompt. However, if my memory doesn't fail me, they won't request this when they are restoring the wallet.

The password will be reset once you restore from seed.  The prompt is for a new password.
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 4418
Crypto Swap Exchange
September 24, 2016, 05:49:04 AM
Hi there.  Which password are you talking about?  Do you mean when sending bitcoin?  Because whenever i send bitcoin, i had to type in the password.  I do have this.  Or you mean something else?
I haven't restored Electrum wallet in quite a while but yes, that is if they prompt. However, if my memory doesn't fail me, they won't request this when they are restoring the wallet.
Okay so you want me to manually download electrum from the website or select option 1?  Im very hesistant on doing this as quick as possible as i want to make sure i do it right so want to have 100 percent clear directions on this.
Since you said the Electrum client does not detect your wallet, you most likely didn't copy the data file (Electrum_data) or (%appdata%/Electrum). You are 100% fine as long as you have the seed.
September 24, 2016, 05:42:08 AM

Okay so you want me to manually download electrum from the website or select option 1?  Im very hesistant on doing this as quick as possible as i want to make sure i do it right so want to have 100 percent clear directions on this.

I like to hear from others who restored electrum.  Did you do it on another computer?  Well i guess another computer or same computer would be the same if your main computer you couldn't use it anymore or had to do a restallation?  And most importantly, if you have a copy of it on the usb, do it that way or just do the 12 word phrase?   I want do reinstall electrum the most safe way that is possible and the way most people do it.  Thanks.
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 4418
Crypto Swap Exchange
September 24, 2016, 05:28:27 AM
If you have the 12 word seed then you are pretty safe, as long as you remember the password if there is any. You should just install the latest version of Electrum. However, the process would be slightly different than when you first installed it.

After installation, click on Restore a wallet or Import keys. If the wallet that you chose was the standard wallet then select that option. Enter the password if you have it when it prompts you. You should have the addresses back in your wallet.
September 24, 2016, 05:20:27 AM
I use electrum 2.6.  My laptop that i use went bad and cannot turn on.  Went to a repair shop and they could no fix it and thus it doesn't turn on and thus i have to buy new laptop.

I have a copy of my electrum 2.6 on my usb.  I also have the 12 word phrase which is called the seed right?

The thing is i put the usb into my desktop computer which has close to nothing on it in terms or programs of any sort and i click on electrum 2.6 in the usb file and i get this message.

Electrum could not find an existing wallet.

What do you want to do?

Create a new wallet

Restore a wallet or import keys

Wallet kind

standard wallet

wallet with two- factor authentication

multi-signature wallet

hardware wallet

Here's the thing.  I do not plan on using this desktop at all for bitcoin transactions.  The desktop is a temporary computer that im using because i have no laptop.  So for now, i want to access my electrum wallet and send my bitcoins to a betting site.  Then later on when i get a new computer, then i either use this same wallet or create a new wallet?  

Can someone tell me which of these options im suppose to choose for the 1st two questions?  I'm guessing its option 2 restore a wallet or import keys as oppose to create a new wallet?  For the 2nd question, which is wallet type?  I did have a password in electrum where if i send bitcoin, i have to put in a password.  I'm guessing its still standard wallet?

And can someone tell me exactly what will show up in my screen after i pick the 2 choices?  Because i dont want to put in restore a wallet or import keys and standard wallet, then im not sure exactly what to press etc.  First time my laptop ever went bad on me but i do have a copy of electrum on my usb.  Can someone tell me step by step instructions here?  I had thought me having the electrum saved on the usb is much better than having the 12 word phrase right?  Do most of you restore your electrum with the backup on your usb or the 12 word phrase?

Thanks guys.
Pages:
Jump to: