Pages:
Author

Topic: confused regarding Bitcoin payments - page 2. (Read 1945 times)

legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 10611
September 07, 2015, 12:31:29 AM
Thank you odolvlobo for your info and reply. Yes blockchain is the hot wallet that I am currently using.So I can expect them to return the balance to my bitcoin address? Thanks again. Smiley

i just want to add that you can change where the rest of bitcoin goes by choosing the custom send method in blockchain.info. you can set multiple receiving addresses, set custom fee and in the end choose where the change goes by giving it a change address to send them there.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1007
September 06, 2015, 06:01:59 PM
Thank you odolvlobo for your info and reply. Yes blockchain is the hot wallet that I am currently using.So I can expect them to return the balance to my bitcoin address? Thanks again. Smiley

The general idea is that you, as the end user, won't ever realize there's a change address. It happens, but it's not really your concern -- all you really need to know is that you spent x and have y now. So don't let the whole "change address" thing confuse you.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
September 06, 2015, 04:47:26 PM
Are you using the wallet on your computer? If so you may want to reconsider and go for a different type of wallet as your machine will always be the weak link in security. Set up 2FA at the very least.

Most other popular wallets are HD. They'll create a new address for every transaction but you'll still have an overall balance that change will be returned to and you can spend.
legendary
Activity: 4438
Merit: 3387
September 06, 2015, 04:33:55 PM

Here is what a typical transaction using the blockchain.info looks like: https://blockchain.info/tx/58abba95b431e6260f9335acf0d00eb4f343389b47d7307c45eb5f73609d2762

If you look at the transactions involving 1ERj1taMSKngY9zngqkatxRXHFrJdSUsj1 (https://blockchain.info/address/1ERj1taMSKngY9zngqkatxRXHFrJdSUsj1) you will see that every time bitcoins are sent from the address, the change is returned to the same address. That is typical for a blockchain.info wallet, but it is not how most other wallets work.
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
September 06, 2015, 04:06:54 PM
legendary
Activity: 4438
Merit: 3387
September 06, 2015, 12:23:31 PM
How it works is if you were to send 19.8mBTC to someone and you had 0.5BTC in your Bitcoin address, your client will actually spend all of the 0.5BTC and send back the remaining 0.49~ BTC change to you at a new Bitcoin address, which makes it harder to track but also confuses lots of new users as they expect it to go back to the same address they sent from.

Blockchain.info is different from most wallets in that it sends the change back to the original address.

Also, in case it isn't apparent, 1 mBTC = 1/1000 BTC and 1 bit = 1/1000000 BTC.
September 06, 2015, 12:08:40 PM
Thank you so much Blazr, for your helpful reply and clarifying those uncertain points for me. I really appreciate it.Smiley
Activity: 882
Merit: 1006
September 06, 2015, 09:44:10 AM
Greetings fellow bitcoiners. I am no Pro in the world of Bitcoin for sure.But I have learned enough to open a new wallet with Blockchain.info and am about to fund it with about 0.5 BTC through bank deposit.I am still unsure about the mechanics of bitcoin payments.I am also confused about what others have told me ,that the full amount in the wallet will be used, like say I have 0.5 BTC in my wallet and the vendor charges 19.8mBTC for their product,will the entire sum of my wallet be used or is there a possibility that I can get the remainder balance/change into my wallet after deducting the vendor/miner fees?And btw can mBTC be deducted from Bitcoin? Terribly sorry for my ignorance. Smiley

Yes you'll get your change back of course. What the person was talking about was change addresses. You don't need to worry about that, change addresses are a feature that makes your Bitcoin payments harder to track, they often confuse people who try and track their coins and they see the coins are being sent to strange addresses.

How it works is if you were to send 19.8mBTC to someone and you had 0.5BTC in your Bitcoin address, your client will actually spend all of the 0.5BTC and send back the remaining 0.49~ BTC change to you at a new Bitcoin address, which makes it harder to track but also confuses lots of new users as they expect it to go back to the same address they sent from.

The unit doesn't matter either, though you might have to convert to BTC from mBTC if thats what your wallet is denominated in.
September 06, 2015, 09:32:43 AM
Greetings fellow bitcoiners. I am no Pro in the world of Bitcoin for sure.But I have learned enough to open a new wallet with Blockchain.info and am about to fund it with about 0.5 BTC through bank deposit.I am still unsure about the mechanics of bitcoin payments.I am also confused about what others have told me ,that the full amount in the wallet will be used, like say I have 0.5 BTC in my wallet and the vendor charges 19.8mBTC for their product,will the entire sum of my wallet be used or is there a possibility that I can get the remainder balance/change into my wallet after deducting the vendor/miner fees?And btw can mBTC be deducted from Bitcoin? Terribly sorry for my ignorance. Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: