Pages:
Author

Topic: connect bitcoin through Tor software? - page 2. (Read 5934 times)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500
December 13, 2011, 06:21:44 PM
Try using badvpn-tun2socks

http://code.google.com/p/badvpn/wiki/tun2socks

It makes a tor network adapter. I have an entire VM with no direct internet access and everything works through tor without any config.
That looks nice.  Not sure setting up an additional network adapter counts as no config, but still pretty simple.
Activity: 40
Merit: 0
December 13, 2011, 05:49:28 AM
Try using badvpn-tun2socks

http://code.google.com/p/badvpn/wiki/tun2socks

It makes a tor network adapter. I have an entire VM with no direct internet access and everything works through tor without any config.
December 09, 2011, 03:41:03 PM
I don't know about that. Block chains are huge over time. Like, way more than tor can move unless you run a node.

I would download the chain the first time off TOR for sure, but regular traffic is pretty light.
That's how I did it.

An instawallet is a great site, but it is "Not a bank"

Instawallet does not aspire to be a Bitcoin bank and as such can only provide a medium level of security. Please do not store more than some spare change here.

A client running behind tor with an encrypted wallet is much more like a bank.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
December 09, 2011, 01:51:46 AM
I don't know about that. Block chains are huge over time. Like, way more than tor can move unless you run a node.

I would download the chain the first time off TOR for sure, but regular traffic is pretty light.
Activity: 18
December 08, 2011, 10:02:25 PM
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
December 08, 2011, 09:42:09 PM
I would not recommend trying to do this.

1.) It doesn't anonymize you any more than you already are (bitcoin is already anonymous and decentralized)

2.) Bitcoin client is essentially a torrent client. You are not supposed to run this on tor--it harms anonymity and puts undue stress on the network.

3.) Using tor browsing is safe enough--your goings on will not be tracked.  If you're worried about it, use something like instawallet.

1.) A connected node could potentially identify the ip address that broadcast the transaction.
2.) Much lower bandwidth than a torrent... really not that much traffic.
3.) Instawallet is a good suggestion.  If you want to run a native client on tor anyway, and you aren't on Windows, torify is your friend.  If you run Windows, ask someone else.
Activity: 18
December 08, 2011, 09:35:44 PM
I would not recommend trying to do this.

1.) It doesn't anonymize you any more than you already are (bitcoin is already anonymous and decentralized)

2.) Bitcoin client is essentially a torrent client. You are not supposed to run this on tor--it harms anonymity and puts undue stress on the network.

3.) Using tor browsing is safe enough--your goings on will not be tracked.  If you're worried about it, use something like instawallet.
December 08, 2011, 05:30:08 PM
add "proxy=localhost:9050" (assuming tor is listening on 9050) to bitcoin.conf

If you want to be more paranoid, also add "nolisten=1"
Activity: 20
December 08, 2011, 03:29:25 PM
You can check to see if your proxy tunneling is successful by seeing if the Bitcoin client has made any connections to the network.  Your screenshot shows that you do indeed have connections to the outside world.  However, since you are running multiple proxies I'm not sure which one is actually being used.  You can look at your Vidalia network map and you should see some connections to port 8333.  If these connections do exist then congrats you are using TOR.
Activity: 76
Merit: 10
November 27, 2011, 10:33:44 AM
hi, I am interested how to make bitcoin cleint using Tor software/network?
I see option "connect through socks4proxy" but I don't know how to use it.

I tried even with freecap and proximotron and tor vidalia, but I didn't succeed, bitcoin shutdown itself. now second time it is not shutdown but how can I check if Bitcoin use Tor or not?
freecap default proxy is 127.0.0.1 and port 9050, socks version 4.
I run bitcoin from freecap.

screenshot: http://i43.tinypic.com/2882fdt.jpg

Pages:
Jump to: