Pages:
Author

Topic: Connecting to BCTalk.org - page 2. (Read 5131 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
August 13, 2015, 11:59:31 PM
Now i had one hour 503 and 502 errors and it was completely unreachable. Another DDOS attack going on?

forum maintenance it seems

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/forum-time-is-off-2-hours-1152491

Thank you for posting.  I was checking in here to see if was me or something else from earlier. 

Happy to find it was not just me.  What is best way to know in advance of these?   Was the thread in meta the way others found out in advance?
legendary
Activity: 1120
August 13, 2015, 10:25:57 PM
Now i had one hour 503 and 502 errors and it was completely unreachable. Another DDOS attack going on?

forum maintenance it seems

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/forum-time-is-off-2-hours-1152491
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082
Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile
August 13, 2015, 10:25:14 PM
legendary
Activity: 1722
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
August 13, 2015, 03:03:11 PM
Got a nginx error just now, like this site but sometimes it lags just too much

I'm having these Bad Gateway Ngnix problems now too.

Seams that we all get the same error, and in addition, i wasn't able to use the site at all from ~ 11 PM yesterday, until ~3 AM this morning,
at which point i gave up and went to sleep :/

cheers
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
August 12, 2015, 08:40:13 PM

I'm having these Bad Gateway Ngnix problems now too.
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
August 09, 2015, 04:15:03 AM
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276
August 07, 2015, 01:46:52 PM
Theymos,

It would be nice to know if you see any indication that these ongoing problems could be attributable to issues on your end or not (e.g., obvious DOS or whatever.)  As someone who is chronically paranoid about global scale monitoring and systems such as quantum inserts and such, it would be interesting information to me.

BTW, I know with some certainty that my ISP (Viasat or at least someone upstream) can and occasionally does do deep packet inspection and injections.

Dude what the heck does any of what you just said even mean???

On serious note - yes have been having trouble connecting to the forum for the last week or so. I'd imagine DDOS attacks are the culprit as usual.

I provided a link about 'quantum inserts'.

I have had situations where my ISP supplied false information via http which did not originate from the IP address I had requested.

If I were hired to install gear which were capable of doing such packet manipulations, I would wish to test things out a bit, and perfectly capable of making mistakes upon unusual events, and it is during re-boots and upgrades (so it seems) where I've tended to see first hand effects as a down-stream user.  Furthermore, were I hired to deal with certain societal problems that the Internet may produce for leadership, I would absolutely mandate that more full control would be an option.  This would not be a simplistic 'internet kill switch' as is envisioned by most citizens.  Employing course techniques would cause more harm than good from a management perspective.

Yes, simple and 'innocent' DOS protection solutions have the potential to explain some of the artifacts I've noticed.  Such solutions are typically more associated with situations where they are commissioned by such folks as Theymos for the benefit of the site he runs.  ISP's could be another point where DDOS protections of other types are inserted and almost certainly are.  My goal in addressing Theymos in the note in question was to get him to provide information which could help analyze observations such as I've made.

legendary
August 07, 2015, 06:21:31 AM
I guess you test out another ddos protection service today, theymos?

Since today i have the problem that ALWAYS, when i send a post or a pm i get a blank page. When i reload the page then i get the info that it was sent already.

Only a headsup.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
July 31, 2015, 04:41:37 AM
Theymos,

It would be nice to know if you see any indication that these ongoing problems could be attributable to issues on your end or not (e.g., obvious DOS or whatever.)  As someone who is chronically paranoid about global scale monitoring and systems such as quantum inserts and such, it would be interesting information to me.

BTW, I know with some certainty that my ISP (Viasat or at least someone upstream) can and occasionally does do deep packet inspection and injections.

Dude what the heck does any of what you just said even mean???

On serious note - yes have been having trouble connecting to the forum for the last week or so. I'd imagine DDOS attacks are the culprit as usual.
Activity: 206
Merit: 100
July 28, 2015, 09:02:03 PM
Was just going to post about this very same thing, yes the database seems to be very slow at random times.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
July 28, 2015, 06:58:31 PM
Just a small update from my side; i was having issues with connectivity to forum for about a few weeks on daily basis, but today not a single
timeout or fault. So it's either fixed, or i was just lucky today, but i didn't do any changes to my DNS this time, or used VPN, the issue has
resolved itself if seams. I'm feeling optimistic.

cheers
legendary
Activity: 1022
July 28, 2015, 03:46:07 PM
I have had lots of problems connecting this week, so many that I finally switched over to using TOR and the problems went away.  I guess it's just a sign to be more private.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
July 28, 2015, 06:55:45 AM
No problem here. I use regularly bitcointalk and don't remember to had problems in connecting or posting. The only my problem is to not be able to post very fast or very often because of my rank which allow me to post only one time every 360 seconds.

Maybe the problems were when I was eating or sleeping. Or playing with my daughters.
legendary
July 28, 2015, 05:25:57 AM
Lately i have not seldom the error message "Encrypted connection failed". Might mean the https. Since the error message is new i guess its related to the ddos-protection service theymos is testing?

503 happens often too of course. Didnt change on that front. Smiley
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
July 25, 2015, 08:45:30 PM
I was having a horrible time connecting yesterday, though from here, the forum was working perfectly today.
legendary
Activity: 1022
July 25, 2015, 08:39:59 PM
These issues should be resolved for now.

I don't think this is resolved as I and others are still having connection issues - for example this thread.

I hope you get a good service.
legendary
July 22, 2015, 09:11:18 AM
Thanks theymos for solving this. Maybe you can even get special offers for a big forum like that.

At the very least they achieve that now people have to pay for protection against them.

Though they would pay for the DDOS too and competition wouldnt. And a free market should solve the high price problem.

I dont see why the price is so high. Is it the traffic that has to be paid by them and its lower with easy solutions?
copper member
Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298
July 22, 2015, 09:04:25 AM
- For security, I don't want to give the anti-DDoS service the forum's HTTPS private key unless there are strong legal agreements preventing them from misusing it.
I am no expert in the matter, however I would think that intercepting data sent to/from the forum would be against anti-wiretapping laws unless consented to by one or both parties; I would think that altering any content would be against computer hacking(?) laws. Neither of this is to say that giving Google access to HTTPS keys would not make it easier for an attacker like the NSA to misuse the keys in some way as despite Google's public stance against spying programs, they have apparently given a lot of information to various governments in secret.

I am not familiar enough with how cloudflare works regarding tor users, however I can say that most sites are pretty much inaccessible via tor. I also lack knowledge regarding the need to have user's IP addresses however it is possible some kind of custom agreement could be used with Google that allows these settings to be changed.
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520
No I dont escrow anymore.
July 22, 2015, 08:44:49 AM

The periodic downtime and slowness (including the recent ~30 minute outage) was due to the forum's previous anti-DDoS provider x4b.net. I used them because they're the only company I've found that offers the security of GRE tunnels at a reasonable price, but clearly it's not worthwhile. Finally I decided that the downtime was unacceptable and ditched them. For now I've set up a basic temporary anti-DDoS thing until I find a better alternative.

Top-tier anti-DDoS companies charge several thousand dollars per month for GRE tunneling. The forum can afford this, but it still seems awfully high. If you know how to more affordably protect against DDoS attacks, let me know. I am not an expert in network engineering. (Is there some way to do something similar to anycast without having an AS number, maybe?) Note that the most popular solutions (like Cloudflare) are no good because:
- For security, I don't want to give the anti-DDoS service the forum's HTTPS private key unless there are strong legal agreements preventing them from misusing it.
- To reduce annoyances (especially for users of NoScript or Tor), I don't want the anti-DDoS service to modify forum pages in any way.
- I need user IP addresses. These are integral to the forum's anti-abuse measures.

Thanks for your work during middle of night at least in US.   I was wondering what was going on this explains it very well.

Kinda sad in this day and age people and companies having to spend money to stop stupid DDOS attacks.  I don't get why anyone running one would think they are achieving something.

At the very least they achieve that now people have to pay for protection against them.

Now lets take the tinfoil hat off and thank theymos that he is working on a solution. Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1456
July 22, 2015, 04:51:47 AM

The periodic downtime and slowness (including the recent ~30 minute outage) was due to the forum's previous anti-DDoS provider x4b.net. I used them because they're the only company I've found that offers the security of GRE tunnels at a reasonable price, but clearly it's not worthwhile. Finally I decided that the downtime was unacceptable and ditched them. For now I've set up a basic temporary anti-DDoS thing until I find a better alternative.

Top-tier anti-DDoS companies charge several thousand dollars per month for GRE tunneling. The forum can afford this, but it still seems awfully high. If you know how to more affordably protect against DDoS attacks, let me know. I am not an expert in network engineering. (Is there some way to do something similar to anycast without having an AS number, maybe?) Note that the most popular solutions (like Cloudflare) are no good because:
- To reduce annoyances (especially for users of NoScript or Tor), I don't want the anti-DDoS service to modify forum pages in any way.
- I need user IP addresses. These are integral to the forum's anti-abuse measures.

Thanks for your work during middle of night at least in US.   I was wondering what was going on this explains it very well.

Kinda sad in this day and age people and companies having to spend money to stop stupid DDOS attacks.  I don't get why anyone running one would think they are achieving something.
Pages:
Jump to: