Pages:
Author

Topic: Could invested assets be nullified by progressive gas fee after halving? - page 2. (Read 198 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 354
I stand with Ukraine!
To put it simple: with increase in bitcoin price the value of gas fee rises.
It is only true if fee size is the same. If technically Bitcoin developers can reduce size of transaction, with a same fee rate, transaction fee will become lower or the same even if Bitcoin price is higher.

Could it decline the profit in bitcoin investment to the extent when we are not able to pay the gas anymore?
It is always a problem if you have too small bitcoin capital. If you have a big capital enough, transaction fee will not be what you care. Like if you have $1000 in bitcoin, $1 or $5 will be transaction fee you can afford to spend. It is not a good transaction fee with many people, I know.

If you care about transaction fee, want to save it as most as possible. Use Segwit address (Bech32m, bc1q). Consolidate inputs when fee is cheap because later with less inputs as 1 input, your transaction will have smaller size that is helpful to save transaction fee [1]. Make your transactions in weekends when fees are cheapest compare to other days each week.

[1] Transaction size calculators
https://jlopp.github.io/bitcoin-transaction-size-calculator/
https://bitcoinops.org/en/tools/calc-size/
Activity: 952
Merit: 642
Magic
More is the price - more fee you have to pay?

I think you make a mistake here. If bitcoin prices do rise, then the fee in USD will also rise, because the fee is not calculated in USD but it is calculated in Bitcoin. Since the value of your bitcoin holdings will also rise this will not affect you at all.

What you can also check is the transaction prices and how they changed in the past. There were already several halvings and still the transaction price is pretty low. This is also because the bitcoin payment system is constantly improved. So in my opinion you should not worry about that.
Activity: 518
Merit: 344
To put it simple: with increase in bitcoin price the value of gas fee rises. Could it decline the profit in bitcoin investment to the extent when we are not able to pay the

The Bitcoin network is not the same as Ethereum or other networks that charge a gas fee for their transactions. Bitcoin charges are by SATs, which are called transaction fees and not gas fees. When fees are high, I think sometimes it's just a benefit to the miners, which makes them a little richer, but that doesn't in any way reduce investment profit. Although there might be a price decline because of the high fee to execute transactions, most people might not want to transact, and a few might want to sell out of panic.
Activity: 89
Merit: 1
Good day my fellow-bitcoiners! Took some time to study this topic about good advices given to novice investor into bitcoin field I came to conclusion that everyone gives advice to each and everyone to follow DCA strategy. Being not so advanced investor with less than 2 years term in the field I came to one strange experience that bothers me nevertheless. Whenever one is trying to follow DCA path it could affect potential investor into collision course with necessity to pay fee which is regulated by increased demand. To put it simple: with increase in bitcoin price the value of gas fee rises. Could it decline the profit in bitcoin investment to the extent when we are not able to pay the gas anymore? Let me explain it by my own experience on latest attempt to have business with CEX (I don't want to give it an add or spoil the impression so I will avoid to give the exact name for them). From the very beginning I knew absolutely nothing about how and what is bitcoin. So to give it a try I've put not more than 20USD into CEX and made several transactions with newly created account. That was the case when I saw the fee going up to 8-10$ to complete transactions by moving out assets or transferring them. So I had an idea that moving huge amount of assets on the blockchain could potentially solve the issue. As anyone could see there were quite big transactions made by US authorities recently. It even affected bitcoin rate for a short period and everyone has seen it at the market. Suppose I accumulate enough assets in bitcoin so that a need will occur to spend or transfer it for some reason will it be independent on the fee amount to save the earned or we have to feed miners with fee that will rise along with bitcoin value? More is the price - more fee you have to pay?
Pages:
Jump to: