Pages:
Author

Topic: Could WalMart go for a cryptocurrency. - page 2. (Read 2093 times)

legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
March 29, 2014, 09:18:22 PM
You can buy a wal-mart gift card through gyft using bitcoin.  Basically, you can use bitcoin at walk mart via proxy.

This.

No need to carry cash if you want to shop at Walmart and many many other major chains.
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
March 29, 2014, 01:45:01 PM
Yesterday I commented that the next wave of Altcoins could be company-sponsored coins. (Just imagine Amazoncoin, Walmartcoin - or maybe just Samscoin, etc.) Naturally the sponsoring company would accept it.

I have no idea if anything like this is in the works or if I'm the first person to think of it. Nor have I thought it through as to whether it is a bright idea or not. Just a thought that spurted out of my cranium...
Amazoncoin already exists. It's another name for gift-vouchers. If it was a genuine distributed crypto-currency, Amazon wouldn't have any special control over it and it wouldn't be better for them than Bitcoin. I think they might condone a crypto-currency one day, but it'll probably be an existing one rather than an invented one. Inventing a new crypto-currency is pointless unless you either have some novel technical contribution to make, or else are running a Ponzi scheme.

Could Bitcoin today handle the volume in terms of trades that amazon does? Perhaps the best techs at Amazon would be able to add features to a crypto-coin that would be beneficial for high volume trade? Or perhaps they could contribute resources to the bitcoin team.
Activity: 622
March 29, 2014, 09:01:15 AM
You can buy a wal-mart gift card through gyft using bitcoin.  Basically, you can use bitcoin at walk mart via proxy.
Activity: 365
Merit: 251
March 29, 2014, 06:41:57 AM
Yesterday I commented that the next wave of Altcoins could be company-sponsored coins. (Just imagine Amazoncoin, Walmartcoin - or maybe just Samscoin, etc.) Naturally the sponsoring company would accept it.

I have no idea if anything like this is in the works or if I'm the first person to think of it. Nor have I thought it through as to whether it is a bright idea or not. Just a thought that spurted out of my cranium...
Amazoncoin already exists. It's another name for gift-vouchers. If it was a genuine distributed crypto-currency, Amazon wouldn't have any special control over it and it wouldn't be better for them than Bitcoin. I think they might condone a crypto-currency one day, but it'll probably be an existing one rather than an invented one. Inventing a new crypto-currency is pointless unless you either have some novel technical contribution to make, or else are running a Ponzi scheme.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
March 29, 2014, 05:34:42 AM
Interesting article. I suspect they will not, and they surprise me.
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
March 29, 2014, 04:02:10 AM
You can already use bitcoins to shop at Walmart.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
March 29, 2014, 03:50:04 AM
walmart is controlled by the bankers/new world order

i doubt they will go crypto, when they are in bed with the controllers of fiat
Activity: 112
Merit: 0
March 28, 2014, 09:54:17 PM
Sure they will. Rumor has it, the Waltons are done collecting USD and now want to collect something else. They are going to be the first Bitcoin billionaire family.   Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035
March 28, 2014, 09:52:30 PM
I'd imagine the intersection of wal-mart customers and bitcoin users is close to zero.

Furthermore, wal-mart is too conservative for something like that. Who knows what percentage of their transactions are Visa or MasterCard.... I'd wager 90% or more.

You'd be surprised. For one thing, I live in the country near a small town and it is practically impossible to avoid Walmart. They almost have a monopoly here.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035
March 28, 2014, 09:51:07 PM

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
March 28, 2014, 09:38:14 PM
I'd imagine the intersection of wal-mart customers and bitcoin users is close to zero.

Furthermore, wal-mart is too conservative for something like that. Who knows what percentage of their transactions are Visa or MasterCard.... I'd wager 90% or more.
Activity: 190
Merit: 100
March 28, 2014, 07:46:29 PM
I also doubt it that walmart will use bitcoin with the current down trending market of bitcoin atm. And if ever cryptocurrency become so successful as online payment solution with worldwide acceptance there's a big possibility of large corporations adopting and creating their own in the near future.
Activity: 798
Time is on our side, yes it is!
March 28, 2014, 06:30:06 PM
interesting question and thanks for the article.  I for one suspect they won't but it wouln't surprise me if they did in some mediocre type fashion.
Activity: 86
Merit: 10
March 28, 2014, 03:58:30 PM
Most of you probably got the news that WalMart is suing Visa over excessive fees:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/27/walmart-suing-visa-credit-card-swipe_n_5045295.html

So my thoughts are:

Could WalMart start using bitcoin, and would bitcoin be able to scale up to that task currently?

If not, what would be needed for it to happen? Imagine execs at a large company really got pissed and decided to make a stand and cut VISA altogether and only accept crypto.

I'm not even foreign to the idea that in the future, various big corporations will have their own cryptocoins. Amazon-coin, WalMart-coin etc.

They are suing Visa and will continue using Visa. And sue them again and continue using Visa again. And average Joe will be paying for this thru his shoppings at walmart.
Activity: 490
March 28, 2014, 03:50:54 PM
Most of you probably got the news that WalMart is suing Visa over excessive fees:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/27/walmart-suing-visa-credit-card-swipe_n_5045295.html

So my thoughts are:

Could WalMart start using bitcoin, and would bitcoin be able to scale up to that task currently?

If not, what would be needed for it to happen? Imagine execs at a large company really got pissed and decided to make a stand and cut VISA altogether and only accept crypto.

I'm not even foreign to the idea that in the future, various big corporations will have their own cryptocoins. Amazon-coin, WalMart-coin etc.
Pages:
Jump to: