Pages:
Author

Topic: Create Taproot address for your Bitcoin - page 3. (Read 1265 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange
July 13, 2022, 05:31:23 AM
I made a "short post [regarding their Android app]" in the past when "Nunchuk" introduced it, but here's a detailed version for their desktop app:

• Add new wallet > Click the dropdown menu for "Advanced: Address Type" and choose Taproot > Key Setup

• Add a New Key > HW key/SW key > Write down your seed phrases > Confirm your Seed > Name your key > Set a passphrase > Run health check > Confirm & close

• While your key is selected, click "Assign to wallet", then increase the number for "Required signers" > Click "Next: Review Wallet"

• Review everything, then click "Create Wallet" > Save "wallet configuration file [BSMS file]"

Btw, it's worth noting that the steps you've posted for Bitcoin Core, also apply to "Bitcoin Knots [a modified version of Bitcoin Core]".
legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 5531
Self-proclaimed Genius
July 13, 2022, 05:08:43 AM
-snip-
Although not all wallets can create a taproot address, it is still possible to transact between wallets even though they use a different type of bitcoin address.
I've tried it using testnet. E.g. (see address type on Details):
It still depends on the client,
although such transactions are already valid in the network, the client that will create the transaction should support bech32m for it to be able to send to a taproot address.

For example, Electrum only supported bech32m since v4.1.0 (release notes) so let's try v4.0.9:

Taproot to other address types shouldn't have any issue since a wallet that can generate a taproot address should be able to spend from it.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 2892
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
July 13, 2022, 04:18:54 AM
Yes, small detail but yes. People got what I meant, I'm sure! However, not all wallets already support P2TR addresses, I guess, so we must take that into account when trying to transfer funds from wallets to wallets.
Personally I still haven't performed any transaction from any address to a P2TR one, but I might try real soon, just for the fun of it!
Although not all wallets can create a taproot address, it is still possible to transact between wallets even though they use a different type of bitcoin address.
I've tried it using testnet. E.g. (see address type on Details):

- Taproot address to Legacy address:
https://blockstream.info/testnet/tx/7fc8c0b311d03e6389361b8fead249ec5ee3b74445d673d72e1f02557162c562?expand

- Taproot address to Bech32 address:
https://blockstream.info/testnet/tx/6040b88697d38d6a2fb29dc5c30d7379a9a845ac81834ea483fd8a601edfe85c?expand

- Bech32 address to Taproot address
https://blockstream.info/testnet/tx/6368a08697c159db4391499f22d433b7e27587fb63e64eb026486d4d722776c9?expand
Activity: 1232
Merit: 666
I rather die on my feet than to live on my knees
July 13, 2022, 03:32:54 AM

Maybe you mean Bitcoin Core v23.0 because the 0 in front of the Bitcoin Core version number since Bitcoin Core v22.0 has been removed.

Yes, small detail but yes. People got what I meant, I'm sure! However, not all wallets already support P2TR addresses, I guess, so we must take that into account when trying to transfer funds from wallets to wallets.
Personally I still haven't performed any transaction from any address to a P2TR one, but I might try real soon, just for the fun of it!
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 2892
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
July 12, 2022, 10:19:04 PM
You are censoring Bitcoin addresses on the barcode and URI but not censoring the Address field.

So much easier from the command line. It's one simple line, assuming we are talking about v0.23, of course. -snip-
Maybe you mean Bitcoin Core v23.0 because the 0 in front of the Bitcoin Core version number since Bitcoin Core v22.0 has been removed.

https://bitcoincore.org/ ;
build: Drop the leading 0 from the version number #20223

Removes the leading 0 from the version number. The minor version, which we had been using as the major version, is now the major version. The revision, which we had been using as the minor version, is now the minor version. The revision number is dropped. The build number is promoted to being part of the version number. This also avoids issues where it was accidentally not included in the version number.

The CLIENT_VERSION remains the same format as previous as previously, as the Major version was 0 so it never actually got included in it.

The user agent string formatter is updated to follow this new versioning.

Taproot address on Trezor Suite:
v21.12.2 and above.

- In "Accounts", click the "+" sign on "My accounts" to create a "New account".

- In the "Select coin" option, select Bitcoin and at the "Account type", select "Taproot BIP86, P2TR, Bech32m", then click "+ Add account".

- In "Taproot accounts", click the "Receive".

- The following is an example of the generated Taproot address.

Activity: 1344
Merit: 742
July 12, 2022, 08:39:21 PM
So much easier from the command line. It's one simple line, assuming we are talking about v0.23, of course. This is why I like the command line so much. It can't get too much simpler!
Thank you for it!

I learned a simple thing that I did not know. Using command line is not what people like so even the code line is simple, not all of Bitcoin Core users will use it. They like to click on button and use UI functions than command line and code.
Activity: 1232
Merit: 666
I rather die on my feet than to live on my knees
July 12, 2022, 04:27:15 PM
So much easier from the command line. It's one simple line, assuming we are talking about v0.23, of course. This is why I like the command line so much. It can't get too much simpler!

Code:
bitcoin-cli -named getnewaddress label=generic-p2tr address_type=bech32m
Activity: 1344
Merit: 742
July 11, 2022, 09:20:17 PM
INDEX

Bitcoin Core
Bitcoin Core: https://bitcoincore.org/en/download/

Download, verify the wallet, install it.
Create a new wallet
Default, the wallet will give you Bech32 receiving address.
If you want to create your Taproot receiving address (Bech32m), you must click on Receive tab.
In the third box for address type in Amount row, click on it to get a drop-down list, including the Bech32m (Taproot).
Choose this option, and click on "Create a new receiving address"
Congratulations, you have a Bech32m (Taproot receiving address).

Command line
Credit to darkv0rt3x
Code:
bitcoin-cli -named getnewaddress label=generic-p2tr address_type=bech32m

Bitcoin Knots
It is a combined Bitcoin node and wallet and a modified version of Bitcoin Core.
Credit to SFR10 with his information
Download: https://bitcoinknots.org/#download
Verify it (you should)
Click on Receive tab, choose Taproot (Bech32m), Request payment
You will get a Taproot wallet starts with bc1p

Sparrow wallet
Sparrow wallet: https://sparrowwallet.com/download/
Download, install it
Choose server type to connect your wallet to.
Create your wallet. You can choose Single Signature or Multi Signature in Policy Type.
In Script Type, click on a drop-down list and choose Taproot (P2TR)
Then choose (at bottom), one of options: Connected Hardware Wallet; Airgapped Hardware Wallet; New or Imported Software Wallet; xPub/ Watch only Wallet.
I choose New or Imported Software Wallet.
Continue with one of three options: Mnemonic Words (BIP39); Electrum; Master Private Key (BIP32). I choose Mnemonic Words and choose Use 12 words (You can choose 12, 15, 18, 21 or 24 words).
Continue to set up your wallet. Make sure you back up mnemonic words, password, derivation path.
In the end, you will get a Taproot receiving address that starts with bc1

Nunchuk wallet Desktop and Android
Credit to SFR10 with this post and that post

Download: https://nunchuk.io/

Desktop
  • Add new wallet > Click the dropdown menu for "Advanced: Address Type" and choose Taproot > Key Setup

• Add a New Key > HW key/SW key > Write down your seed phrases > Confirm your Seed > Name your key > Set a passphrase > Run health check > Confirm & close

• While your key is selected, click "Assign to wallet", then increase the number for "Required signers" > Click "Next: Review Wallet"

• Review everything, then click "Create Wallet" > Save "wallet configuration file [BSMS file]"

Android

Trezor Suite:
Credit to Husna QA with this post
v21.12.2 and above.

- In "Accounts", click the "+" sign on "My accounts" to create a "New account".

- In the "Select coin" option, select Bitcoin and at the "Account type", select "Taproot BIP86, P2TR, Bech32m", then click "+ Add account".

- In "Taproot accounts", click the "Receive".

- The following is an example of the generated Taproot address.

Ledger Live
Credit to Pmalek with that post
Since no one has explained how to create a Taproot address on Ledger Live yet, I will briefly describe the process.
After opening and logging in to your Ledger Live account, connect and unlock your hardware wallet with your PIN.

Now click on the "Accounts" tab on the left. On the dropdown list select Bitcoin and click on "Continue".

Ledger Live will then scan all existing Bitcoin accounts that are or aren't part of your portfolio. Give it a minute to finish or stop the scanning process by clicking on the "Stop" button.
To add a Taproot account, you need to switch on the "show all address types" under "Add new account". Give your Taproot account a name and click on the "Add account" button at the bottom.

If done successfully, a confirmation screen will inform you that your new account has been added to your portfolio. You can see it at the bottom of your "Accounts" tab because it's addresses are still unfunded.

To generate a Taproot address, you now need to click on the "Receive" tab on the left, select your new Taproot account on the list, and click "Continue".

A new address will be generated for you. Compare and confirm that the address on Ledger Live matches the one on your hardware wallet and approve it by clicking on both buttons on the device.

You have now successfully created a Taproot address in Ledger Live.

Ledger Live (Android)
Credit to Husna QA with that post

Software and Hardware wallet that Husna QA used in this test:
- Ledger Live Android v3.3.2
- Ledger Nano X

Logging in to Ledger Live; On the "Wallet" icon, select "Add asset" or the "+" sign in the upper right corner.

In the "Add Asset" option, I select "With your Ledger".

In the "Crypto asset" option, select "Bitcoin (BTC)".

In the "Device" option, select the hardware wallet that is connected to Ledger Live.
If the hardware wallet name doesn't appear, tap "Pair with Bluetooth" (Nano X) or connect it via a USB cable (Nano S, Nano S Plus, Nano X).

"Open the Bitcoin app on your device".

Ledger Live will scan all Bitcoin accounts.

Select "More address types" to display other Bitcoin accounts.

Select "Bitcoin (Taproot)" and tap "Continue".

Here is the newly created Bitcoin (Taproot) account:

To generate a Taproot address, tap Bitcoin Account (Taproot), Select "Receive".

Make sure the hardware wallet is still connected to Ledger Live for the process of creating a Taproot address.

Verify address on Device.

Select "Copy address" or "Share address" to copy or share the Taproot address.

OneKey
Credit to SFR10 with that post
OneKey recently added support for Taproot, so here are the steps for creating Taproot addresses in their Android app [it seems to be "open-source"]:

• When you first open the app, it creates an Ethereum account by default, so you have to change it from the top of the page and select Bitcoin.
    • Then click the "create account" button:

• Choose Taproot

• Click "receive" button

Reference
Pages:
Jump to: