Pages:
Author

Topic: Creating an iOS wallet for jailbroken devices using BitcoinJ - page 2. (Read 3415 times)

legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
The problem with relying on jailbreaking is that Apple is rather good at fixing jailbreaks, and as device security improves they seem to be getting rarer and more complicated over time.

However, if you want to do it anyway then that's great - it would give us a nice wallet ready to go if Apple should ever change their mind, even if the jailbreaker community is rather small!

You could check out this project:

http://www.robovm.org/

It says it can compile Java down to native iOS ARM code. We don't use any fancy tricks like reflection or runtime code synthesis in bitcoinj, partly to help ensure techniques like this can work. Apparently there's a bunch of apps in the app store that use it. Bitcoinj has become quite a large codebase over time, so I'd suggest exploring a bunch of options to make it work on iOS before trying to do a rewrite or anything like that.

The C++ transpiler I was playing with is called j2c. It's quite impressive but needs the native runtime stubs filled out, as it obviously can't compile non-java code to C++. Also it's really just the hobby/prototype project of a (very smart) guy, so don't expect anything in the way of documentation and it required quite a lot of messing around and some bugfixes to get things compiling for me. I never finished the work needed to make a fully native C++ transpile of bitcoinj, but perhaps in future I will revisit this project.
Activity: 216
Merit: 100
I've found the hivewallet BitcoinKit but it depends on JRE which is a no-go for iOS dev :/
https://github.com/hivewallet/BitcoinKit

What are my options if I want to try to port BitcoinJ a bit more natively?
Activity: 216
Merit: 100
Let's start off with a quote:
Bluntly, I think iOS is a non starter and you should forget about it. Apple's legal team have decided that they don't want an app that can send money without a third party on their devices. Anything that seems to fall in that general area will get banned.

Just get an Android device already Wink

And here's why I strongly disagree:
Apple can only ban what Apple controls. Even though the amount of jailbroken iOS devices is a fraction it is still in the millions... Many millions. And even better: It is the most nerdy fraction of the iOS bunch that are most likely to adopt Bitcoin. It's a huge market, a huge opportunity and a win/win for both the Bitcoin community and the jailbreak community.

I read somewhere that Mike got a library working with OSX/Cocoa.. Has this been abandoned? Can we use it to get started with a working iOS library?
I have a hard time believing that the whole Bitcoin-community is so droidcentric that we will just throw a market in the millions in the trash - it could be huge for Bitcoin if we could get just a small percentage of the jailbreakers to adopt Bitcoin.
Pages:
Jump to: