Pages:
Author

Topic: Critique my altcoin portfolio plan - page 2. (Read 829 times)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10
July 18, 2017, 08:27:10 AM
Considering you are "brand new" to this, you have chosen some decent coins. However in my personal opinion, I would avoid XRP and DASH and instead go for something that has more upcoming potential like WAVES and ZEN.

I've really struggled about Dash due to its past, but thought I'll include it given the active development - certainly fueled by the exorbitant block rewards.

XRP is a long-term play: if I understand correctly, when the final XRP is created and given away within a few years there may be an appreciation of it vs fiat currencies. That is only if XRP is in wide use and Ripple is functioning. Not a fan of the centralized nature of Ripple, either.

Neither WAVES or ZEN is available on Kraken. Any other recommendations to replace XRP or DASH?
Activity: 574
Merit: 502
waiting to explode
July 18, 2017, 08:04:14 AM
Considering you are "brand new" to this, you have chosen some decent coins. However in my personal opinion, I would avoid XRP and DASH and instead go for something that has more upcoming potential like WAVES and ZEN.

My reasoning to NOT go for XRP or Dash:

XRP

http://www.coindesk.com/ripples-xrp-giving-third-largest-cryptocurrency-second-look/

A quote from the linked article:
In short, it's hard to come up with any rational reason why XRP exists in the Ripple protocol, other than as a means for Ripple to make money. Lots of money. When Ripple launched, Ripple created 100 billion XRP tokens. To achieve some resemblance of fair initial distribution, they donated billions of XRP in various giveaway schemes.

DASH

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.20111613
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
July 18, 2017, 07:58:37 AM
I'm late in the game to actually invest in crypto, just been keeping a casual eye on Bitcoin for years. I've done some research, but would like the help of more experienced investors.

I'm putting in only money I can lose. Plan is to do a lump sum investment this month, hold for years, and buy more positions monthly using Dollar Cost Averaging. I will not be trading, except potentially taking out a fraction in fiat whenever I realize doubling of value of a coin, or perhaps annual rebalancing.

Below the six coins I'm considering, and their share of total (crypto) portfolio. First three I see as growth plays, and the last three as more speculative. I've tried to pick coins which have strong fundamentals with good potential for long-term value appreciation vs Euro, and are available on Kraken.

Code:
Name         Ticker	Share	Notes
Ethereum ETH 25% True platform with active development, partnerships, and variety of potential uses
Litecoin LTC 20% Mainly a diversification play
Bitcoin   BTC 15% Low portfolio share due to limited growth potential (high price and strong competitive pressure)
Ripple   XRP 15% Huge growth potential if it becomes widely adopted
Dash     Dash 15% Despite suspicious launch and outrageous block rewards, strong on-going development
Monero       XMR 10% Privacy and anonymity will be in increasing demand

Any critique is welcome. Keep in mind I'm brand new to this!
Pages:
Jump to: