Pages:
Author

Topic: crypsty hacked over 1.5 yrs ago. 13000 BTCs and 300,000 ltc - page 3. (Read 6166 times)

legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
The claimed way the attack was supposedly done makes no sense, even without using virtual machines no coin daemon running as one user would be able to access another running as another user unless someone deliberately forced passwords into the ps or top type readouts by putting them on commandlines, so even incompetents could hardly be expected to make the proposed attack method workable unless they really went out of their way to ensure such an attack would work, such as by running untrustable shitcoins as the same user as a real valuable coin, and on the same machine, or by deliberately passing passwords on the commandline so other users could see them on top and ps and such.

Basically you'd have to deliberately go out of your way to circumvent all the usual procedures everyone is always instructed to use even for just small personal wallets.

Such deliberate setting up of a situation intended to enable some pathetic excuse like "oh one daemon had a trojan in it" is surely at best criminal negligence and far more likely conspiracy to defraud and steal?

It is a pity really that there are so many regulations around this kind of app because all the perceived/expected additional expense imposed by red tape kind of makes the whole idea of running an exchange at all look way too expensive to the kinds of folks who might be competent to run one, whereas script-kiddies just wanting to set up a nice hackable environment so they can claim they were hacked can do so much cheaper / easier...

...Also come to think of it an IRC command-and-control on a cold-wallet machine would never be able to be commanded and controlled because cold means not on the net, right? Hmm...

-MarkM-

Activity: 195
Merit: 10
Guys, just let's be honest.
If Cryptsy was your exchange and you got hacked and lost a lot of coins.
If you were struggling to keep the exchange open and notice a lot of traders are leaving the exchange.
Would you start a Prepaid Debit Card Program?
Personally I can't believe this. Even if you know it's a sinking ship, keeping the exchange open isn't a criminal offense. It could be seen as damage control.
But actually selling a product of which you know you can't deliver... IMO that's a crime. Why would they risk this?
Hence, I personally doubt about their explaination (and ofcourse added the fact they say they didn't inform the authorities).
Let's see where it ends.  
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1007
It really feels as if there was really no hack and vern just pocketed the coins. If they really had happened then the steps that were taken after it really make no sense. Delaying withdrawals, closing the office and moving out months before they announced what happened.
Was Mintsy a try to make back the money they "lost" or a way to make more before they got out ?
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
Surely the limited liability shield is void in the face of so much totally criminal activity, lying etc?

This talk of a company going bankrupt seems off the mark, since a company is just a fiction that counts for nothing against criminal negligence malfeasance fraud theft and so on?

-MarkM-
Activity: 36
Merit: 5
CEO - Krater.io
This is a poor move by cryptsy. For over 1.5 years, they have kept it secretly. They would have suspended their operations immediately once they realize the missing coins from their wallets. They wouldn't have lost when they did it like that. Silence is the killing factor for cryptsy for now. If they did suspended their operations earlier, many people would have got the original value of the coins back. For the past months, people tried to convert btc to other altcoins for much loss to withdraw. This is isn't acceptable.

Me I got NMC out but put it back because the loss was too big, 10-15% of value or more can't remember. Anyway, that was my decision and it was stupid.

I hope now, that if Vern or the employees didn't steal the coins, the hacker will put the BTC back into the accounts and take up on the promise that he will get 1000BTC and will walk away. Otherwise, in his feet I would take those 1000BTC, hire hackers to find her/him/them and hire some nice guys to pay him/her/them a last visit. But that's all wishful thinking since I lost 3.5BTC in that shithole.
Activity: 47
Merit: 0
This is a poor move by cryptsy. For over 1.5 years, they have kept it secretly. They would have suspended their operations immediately once they realize the missing coins from their wallets. They wouldn't have lost when they did it like that. Silence is the killing factor for cryptsy for now. If they did suspended their operations earlier, many people would have got the original value of the coins back. For the past months, people tried to convert btc to other altcoins for much loss to withdraw. This is isn't acceptable.
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000
www.cryptodesign.cc
cryptsy hacked themselfs over 1.5 yrs ago,  ••• missing 10M $

Activity: 835
There is NO Freedom without Privacy
Cryptsy has failed to explain why they aren't returning the millions of alts still stored in its cold-storage coffers.

Why not return those coins to the rightful owners?
Because they are funding paycoin super stakers 2.0 with Josh Garza.
Activity: 835
There is NO Freedom without Privacy
So the paycoin scam with Mr. Garza wasn't enough to recover funds stolen LONG before your hack? You ran on fractional reserve and allowed people to entrust their money to you without informing them. Then joined Garza with his scam, then milked what you could for a few months and finally walk away with your coins and tell the community to eat shit and die...that sounds perfectly legal and a reasonable excuse for stealing from your customers.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
Cryptsy has failed to explain why they aren't returning the millions of alts still stored in its cold-storage coffers.

The alts were drained by customers using them to tunnel out of Cryptsy.

Didn't you notice all the recent 'you can still buy and withdraw AltcoinX from Cryptsy' 'yah but I'll lose Y% BOO HOO' posts?

The well is now dry, hence BigFraud's sudden, yet late, admission they got spear phished by one of their beloved shitcoins.

Even if Cryptsy still had alts, they are the property of the bankruptcy trustee, and thus cannot be distributed to creditors until the process advances to its final phase.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
Doesn't look too good for Cryptsy. I remember the good old days when Cryptsy was the biggest altcoin exchange now they are just a shadow of the past.

when was that?

BTC-e is pretty big and has been around before shitsy.
legendary
Activity: 924
TokenHouse decentralized cryptocurrency exchange
Doesn't look too good for Cryptsy. I remember the good old days when Cryptsy was the biggest altcoin exchange now they are just a shadow of the past.
legendary
Activity: 3976
Merit: 1421
Life, Love and Laughter...
legendary
Activity: 3976
Merit: 1421
Life, Love and Laughter...
..and another one bites the dust.

Decentralized exchanges need to happen.  Instantdex or Etherex, whoever, hurry up

Yup.  And that PPC/NU thing too...

legendary

Because either:

1. They want to see if they can get away with keeping it.

2. They don't think they are at fault for the hack and so their users need to bear the burden of their losses.

3.  Huh
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030
Twitter @realmicroguy

Activity: 637
Merit: 500
Also there is an issue reporting the backdoor in Lucky7 in March.

https://github.com/alerj78/lucky7coin/issues/1

And no mention of it anywhere else I can see.
That's simply getting ridiculous.

Anybody can tell if there are currently running nodes ?
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
legendary
Some may ask why we didn’t report this to the authorities when this occurred, and the answer is that we just didn’t know what happened, didn’t want to cause panic, and were unsure who exactly we should be contacting.   At one time we had a open communication with Secret Service Agent Shaun Bridges on an unrelated matter, but I think we all know what happened with him – so he was no longer somebody we could report this to.    Recently I attempted to contact the Miami FBI office to report this, but they instead directed me to report it on the I3C website.  I’ve not heard anything from them.

This is a load of bullshit ^

"were unsure who exactly we should be contacting"

"did not want to cause panic "

The problem with their shitty excuses is that as an exchange they had a RESPONSIBILITY to inform their customers/users the moment money got stolen.

But of course I don't believe they actually lost any money. I believe this is a whole charade to misdirect blame to the PHANTOM HACKER.

The new phrase to be coined is "You got VERNED!"
Pages:
Jump to: