Pages:
Author

Topic: Cryptocurrencies as a Legal Tender - page 2. (Read 230 times)

Activity: 1554
Merit: 413
March 08, 2020, 09:06:50 AM
https://dailyhodl.com/2020/03/06/french-court-issues-historic-bitcoin-btc-ruling-says-worlds-leading-cryptocurrency-is-a-fungible-intangible-asset-just-like-money/

The above article is about a French court ruling about Bitcoin loans qualifying as commercial loans and that makes it a legal tender just like fiat money.

In that same article, a counsel from a certain law firm also shared his opinion on the subject

“When we lend Bitcoin or when we borrow it, it is a consumer loan which obliges us to return the same quality and quantity, and therefore makes the borrower bear the risks or benefit from the fruits. This also applies to Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum or other cryptocurrencies.”

I was wondering about that last sentence. If the same case happens and they use BCH, ETH, and other cryptocurrencies for the loan, will the French government also rule that they are also legal tender?

That leads me into another question, if the government allows other cryptocurrencies as legal tender, should they limit them to two, five, or ten? We know there are already thousands of coins in existence and there will be more in the future. I am thinking that many coin developers will only abuse if governments will not limit the number of accepted cryptocurrencies.
Pages:
Jump to: