Pages:
Author

Topic: Cryptocurrency and Society - page 2. (Read 332 times)

Activity: 1246
Merit: 529
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
January 17, 2020, 03:47:06 AM
Well it is indeed too strong and it focuses on just one aspect of crypto. It's much more diverse than just to displace fiat and put money in people's control. The scope of crypto and block chain's use can very well be extended to more than the financial system. The people who created bitcoin probably didn't even have that point of view in mind when they started bitcoin.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
January 16, 2020, 05:29:23 PM
Wow, I'm really glad that I've landed with such like-minded individuals. 

Re: financing public works, I think that Bitcoin is going to do great for that, because of its inherent transparency.  Not only does Bitcoin make "total war" (where the state squanders all of society's wealth on pointless carnage) much less likely, it also makes corruption much harder because of its transparency. 

What are some things that you see coming in the next 10 years re: disempowering the state?
Activity: 1148
Merit: 268
January 16, 2020, 05:45:43 AM
My hope for cryptocurrency is that it takes away the state's power to print money and fund warfare. 

Why "it takes away the state's power to print money and fund warfare"?

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that both states and some radical groups can use cryptocurrency in the same way as we do. Even if no one does it now, they will begin to do so in the future.

I agree with you so it seems that if any group knows about the benefits of crypto, they will work on crypto. This is a very powerful step and "while financing for money laundering and warfare has taken away the power of the state crypto will certainly be effective for public works.
Activity: 1274
Merit: 265
January 16, 2020, 02:40:36 AM
My hope for cryptocurrency is that it takes away the state's power to print money and fund warfare. 

This is just one use of government fiat money. Government also launch public welfare projects and run affairs of the country due to this fiat money. As far as warfare is concerned, it will continue to exist even if we move whole global financial system from fiat to cryptocurrency. Its human nature to suppress the weaker one and its there since life started on this earth.
Activity: 17
January 16, 2020, 02:30:35 AM

Why "it takes away the state's power to print money and fund warfare"?

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that both states and some radical groups can use cryptocurrency in the same way as we do. Even if no one does it now, they will begin to do so in the future.
legendary
Activity: 1463
Merit: 1135
January 16, 2020, 01:22:10 AM
I too share similar hopes.  In my opinion, BTC is activism and free speech.  I have yet to see any other form of activism which I'd consider more effective today.  'Exit' is a very powerful action and its available the first time in history,indiscriminately.  I don't think your point of view is too strong at all. All great and notable changes started with an idea.
Hope may be strong now and still, there is a very large battle for fungibility and privacy ahead which needs our attention if we are to be successful.
Nice to see someone doing it for the right reasons  Wink

Activity: 14
January 15, 2020, 05:51:42 PM

This is the only thing that matters in the crypto space:  Can we reduce the size and scope of the state's influence in the lives of everyday people?

If we can do that, we've won.  If we can't do that, then cryptocurrency probably doesn't matter.  Is this too strong of a point of view?
Pages:
Jump to: