Pages:
Author

Topic: Cryptocurrency Theft - page 4. (Read 404 times)

Activity: 109
Merit: 0
August 17, 2018, 01:58:53 AM
The most probable caused is you visit a phishing site. Without your private key its not possible for anyone to hack your wallet, its either someone knew your private key or you visited a phishing site.
Activity: 476
Merit: 100
August 17, 2018, 01:53:54 AM
Do not click on any sort of fishing links in email. It is the most spread way of hacking crypto wallets. Also be super attentive while doing with crypto.
Activity: 2408
Merit: 564
August 17, 2018, 01:48:02 AM
My ETH funds were stolen and I am sure I didn't give out or handled carelessly the Mnemonic phrase, JSON file, private key nor the key store. Please I want to know ways by which a cryptocurrency wallet could be hacked.
What are the websites that you visited recently? My suspect is you just became careless and you logged in to a phishing link though you said that you are careful of not giving out your keys, you are still vulnerable to log in to a fake site / phishing site that you aren't aware if you are in a hurry or you just really don't care of that site you are logging in. Like what has been said, you probably downloaded something that contains malware that affected your computer that allowed the intruders to touch your files on your pc.
Activity: 184
August 17, 2018, 01:21:30 AM
My ETH funds were stolen and I am sure I didn't give out or handled carelessly the Mnemonic phrase, JSON file, private key nor the key store. Please I want to know ways by which a cryptocurrency wallet could be hacked.
Getting hacked can only happen when you login to a phishing websites, some don't verify the sites can they login to and the way to prevent login to phishing sites is by not clicking directly, better bookmark all the sites you're using and secondly never ever share your private keys with anyone and crosscheck before imputing your private keys to see if the site is certified when you're using myetherwallet or better bookmark it too to prevent getting hacked
Activity: 686
Merit: 10
August 17, 2018, 01:04:49 AM
if you used a phishing link to access mew or anyother ETH related site then it can be the reason. also dont install unknown extensions for chrome and even for mobile use avast antivirus
Activity: 406
Merit: 109
August 17, 2018, 01:04:24 AM
A lot many answers are given up already, I have earlier written a well guide for newbies in an another topic, this may help
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.43746101
Activity: 55
Merit: 1
August 17, 2018, 12:30:52 AM
There are many ways to lose your money.

1. You could have downloaded your wallet from the wrong site.
2. You downloaded the wallet from the correct site but during that time the site was hacked and you did not verified the wallet.
3. You clicked in a phishing link or entered your sensitive data in a phishing website.
4. Your computer was compromised and a keylogger was installed.
5. Someone close to you stole your coins.

And that is only out of the top of my head.

Other than all above, there are many scam airdrops are going on and they ask you to sign your wallet before you can claim your coins but the link they provide is not of myetherwallet. There is just small change in spelling or any special character is there. If you did do any airdrop like that and signed your wallet, that can also be the reason for which your private key was compromied.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1018
August 17, 2018, 12:24:22 AM

Among is that signing in into phishing site is common which  why  its advised not to sign indirectly  when a link is received from an email. You should just visit the bookmarked pages which I  believe we always do when we keep visiting the site. If you keep  visiting  bitcointalk.org then bookmark this  forum , its easier to access and you won't commit mistake by using your login details when login into a phishing site. If you are using myetherwallet then bookmark  it.
Activity: 840
Merit: 502
August 17, 2018, 12:03:12 AM
There are many ways to lose your money.

1. You could have downloaded your wallet from the wrong site.
2. You downloaded the wallet from the correct site but during that time the site was hacked and you did not verified the wallet.
3. You clicked in a phishing link or entered your sensitive data in a phishing website.
4. Your computer was compromised and a keylogger was installed.
5. Someone close to you stole your coins.

And that is only out of the top of my head.
Activity: 2632
Merit: 833
August 16, 2018, 07:58:32 PM

Phishing. Perhaps you click something around the web or on your email (malicious links). Or a MEW phishing link. Or you download some malware on your pc. Do a full scan of your pc and remove that trojan/malware that stole your password. Just be careful next time and think before you click. Hard and very expensive lessons to learn.
Activity: 798
Merit: 250
homt.net
August 16, 2018, 07:29:07 PM

Cryptocurrency wallets can only be hacked when the private keys are compromised, so the best thing to do to make sure you keep your private key information well secured.
Activity: 31
August 16, 2018, 07:11:12 PM
Pages:
Jump to: