Pages:
Author

Topic: Cryptonator taken down - page 2. (Read 251 times)

legendary
Activity: 2800
Merit: 2736
Farewell LEO: o_e_l_e_o
August 03, 2024, 11:45:06 AM
I was not familiar with this company until now. This is a sad news after all
edit: Oh, and everyone who still had coins in this custodial wallet has been rug-pulled by the feds.
There is always this risk. I do have some coins always in some exchanges just to fill some orders when there is an opportunity but for some reason if I lose it then I can afford the loss. It's okay as long as you can afford the loss.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
August 03, 2024, 10:59:41 AM
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/cryptocurrency/cryptonator-seized-for-laundering-ransom-payments-stolen-crypto/

U.S. and German law enforcement seized the domain of the crypto wallet platform Cryptonator, used by ransomware gangs, darknet marketplaces, and other illicit services, and indicted its operator.

The alleged Cryptonator's operator, Roman Boss, has been charged with money laundering and running an unlicensed money service business operation.

Cryptonator is an online cryptocurrency wallet launched in 2014 that allows users to store crypto and exchange between other cryptocurrencies within their personal wallet.

Blockchain investigation firm TRM reports that Cryptonator failed to implement anti-money laundering controls, enabling anonymous or pseudonymous users to use the service, including for illicit activity.

The Cryptonator project's primary domain at "cryptonator.com" has now been seized, displaying the below notice from "seized-domain.s3-us-gov-east-1.amazonaws.com."

The law enforcement action involves the U.S. Department of Justice, the FBI, the IRS:CI, the National Cryptocurrency Enforcement Team, the German Federal Criminal Police Office (BKA), and the Attorney General's Office in Frankfurt am Main.

So long, I guess? Cryptonator was my very first wallet when I cashed out some $6 worth of DOGE to there, however I quickly moved on to more secure, non-custodial BTC wallets.

I guess this is pretty damning for anyone trying to host online wallet software. Anybody creating an online wallet is now treated like an exchange, and thus, a criminal. Something like this happened with Samourai before.

They have been facing a lot of scam accusations before this, I can only think it's because the operator realized that his days were numbered I guess.

edit: Oh, and everyone who still had coins in this custodial wallet has been rug-pulled by the feds.
Pages:
Jump to: