Pages:
Author

Topic: CryptoVest Physical Litecoins - page 6. (Read 15917 times)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500
November 05, 2013, 09:50:14 PM
Is picture 4 an example of the wrong angle as they look like the chocolates that should be inside of the coinz ??

I reckon u should talk to whoever did those holos as that does not look right
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026
In Cryptocoins I Trust
November 05, 2013, 08:24:20 PM
Sorry I haven't posted in a while... I have been pretty busy and going through some personal issues, so I haven't had much time to work on this. Let me bring you guys up to speed and tell you the full story thus far in one post. As always, I am brutally honest on these forums and I will continue that trend in this post. Sorry for the wall of text... I am good at making those!

My inspiration for the project: I do not own any physical cryptocoins and never have, although I always thought they were a really neat idea (good job Casascius!) However, I have come to the conclusion that they are all extremely overpriced. I think they are charging a large mark up. Shocked Either that, or their manufacturers are really ripping them off and they did not shop around... I think this is unlikely. So, I aim to bring much cheaper physical cryptocoins to market that will satisfy the need for cheaper coins. Physical cryptocoins are a great way to spread the word about cryptocoins. My hope is that by making them cheaper, people will be more willing to give them to friends and family and introduce new people to cryptocoins!

Current status of the project: I have received the coins and holograms and I am working on finishing the website to facilitate orders. As soon as the website is done, you will be able to place orders for immediate shipping. I expect this to be done either this week or next week. Please bear with me, I do not have money for a web developer so I am doing it myself in what little free time I have available and it may take longer than stated here.

Design changes: I have decided NOT to sell pre-loaded (funded) coins unlike most other physical cryptocoin companies. I simply do not have the time and also do not want the legal liability. It has recently been shown that physical cryptocoin are not as tamper evident as we all thought (Google Defcon Casascius.) It seems pointless to me sell funded coins because there is no way to tell if someone has tampered with the hologram (or very little evidence.) Along with this, I feel I simply do not have the time to assemble hundreds of coins. I am pretty busy and have several things going on at once. Therefore, all coins will come unfunded and with two holograms, so the customer will assemble them themselves. Each coin comes with two holograms, because it can be easy to disrupt the tamper evident properties of the hologram when placing it on the coin. Transfer tape is a necessity to remove the hologram from its wax paper and putting it onto the coin without disrupting the tamper evident properties. Again, using your finger, finger nail, or anything other than transfer tape to place the hologram will make the tamper evident properties noticeable after hologram placement. I had a friend (shout out to msm595) port the Casascius Bitcoin Utility to Litecoin (thanks again Casascius!) This is what customers are recommended to use to print coin inserts. It is a very straightforward process, and will be explained in detail on our website. The program will be open sourced, so the code can be reviewed by the community to make sure that there are no security issues or back doors in the program.

Bad news: The quality of the holograms is not what I was expecting. At certain angles, they look brilliant. However, at certain angles you can hardly see the hologram design. However, the quality is not what people are used to seeing from other physical cryptocoins. Another reason why my first coins are not as nice to currently available physical cryptocoins is that I did not have enough money to make coins out of more quality materials and by more quality manufacturing techniques. If these coins sell well, I promise to spend more money in the future when making my products and searching for the best quality possible. I am confident in my ability to make higher quality coins for MUCH cheaper than the competitors. Unfortunately, if these cheaper coins do not sell well, I will have already wasted more money than I am comfortable with, and will not be making higher quality coins. I hate to leave it open ended like that, but it is what it is. I am not rich and cannot afford to blow thousands of dollars.

Good news: People have been asking me forever... "What is the price?" Well, today I can finally answer that, since I now have the final numbers of the manufacturing costs. As stated before the point of this project was to make an affordable physical cryptocoin. I have done just that, my coins will retail for $1.49 USD!!! This includes a coin and two holograms. Coins will be assembled by the customer, so no need to trust me.

Pictures: And finally, I apologize for the low res camera photos. But, they serve their purpose to illustrate everything I have talked about in this post and to see what the coins and holograms look like from multiple angles. Again... the holograms look great from some angles, but not so great from other angles. I'll let you be the judge, please tell me your honest opinion. (Please excuse the mess up on the last two images.. I accidentally enabled both cameras and part of my face/hair is in the last two pictures... just noticed that when typing this. Oh well.... http://imgur.com/a/MGjCX
legendary
In Cryptocoins I Trust
September 17, 2013, 11:13:34 AM
Wow.. that was one heck of a football game, glad I got to go. Anyways... I have again delayed the launch of the website. I want more time to work on the website and make it look pretty and informative! Also, I am expecting the Econo Line coins and holograms to possibly be delivered later this week!!! When I actually launch the website, the Econo Line coins and chocolate coins will be available for sale.

Although I will likely receive the Econo Line coins & holograms this week, I expect them to not go on sale until at least sometime next week. There will be a few things I need to do once the coins are received, including getting an assembly process worked out and testing several ideas I have to make them more tamper resistant. I want these to be some of the most secure and tamper resistant coins on the market, so I am not going to rush to make the coins available.

Thanks,

Ch
legendary
In Cryptocoins I Trust
September 14, 2013, 08:59:01 AM
I was just joking with you SaltySpitoon in case you didn't notice... I'm sure you meant put the private key in between the chocolate and the foil, not inside the chocolate. Well.. I thought it was funny at least. Smiley

Anyways, in other news:

The website was supposed to launch later today. However, I received free tickets to the A&M/Alabama football game. There's no way I'm going to miss that, so I'm going to busy most of the day today.

I have delayed the website launch until tomorrow. Although I am almost done with it, I would like to do some more work on it tomorrow before it goes live. Thank you for understanding.
legendary
In Cryptocoins I Trust
September 12, 2013, 01:20:20 AM
yummy!
Indeed... I had to cut myself off. No more chocolate for this guy (for a day or two at least!)

That has to be the coolest thing ever. Too bad the private key isn't on the chocolate itself.

Thanks Salty, I thought it was cool.  Smiley

I'm not sure how many people will be interested in buying them, but I will likely use a lot of them to introduce new people to cryptocurrencies. I must admit shipping chocolate through the mail is more challenging than I imagined (during the summer.. melted chocolate.)

I live in a college town, so I was thinking of going to a computer science building on campus and handing them out to a bunch of students. Meanwhile, introducing them to Litecoins and Bitcoins. Maybe this will introduce a couple new developers (or users) into the community, that wouldn't have otherwise learned about Bitcoin/Litecoin.

A private key in the chocolate would be pretty cool, but what happens when you eat it? I wouldn't want to be the person that has to find it coming out the other end.  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154
Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?
September 11, 2013, 07:15:17 PM

That has to be the coolest thing ever. Too bad the private key isn't on the chocolate itself.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1000
Reality is stranger than fiction
September 11, 2013, 06:09:43 PM
yummy!
legendary
In Cryptocoins I Trust
September 11, 2013, 07:42:55 AM
Ahem, moving along...

I received the first Chocolate Litecoins yesterday, they are milk chocolate silver coins using Zinodaur's design. I'm beginning to think maybe it was a bad idea to order a huge box of chocolate. I have been eating them too much... I'm going to to get fat!  Cheesy

These will come funded, or unfunded so you can generate and print your own coin inserts. Alternatively, you may just stick the hologram on it for decoration and to show off to your friends and family! These are meant for gifts and novelty purposes, I plan on using these for some Litecoin awareness projects to educate strangers about Litecoin and spread the word. These have a 1-2 month shelf life when stored in the proper conditions.

I will get some more professional pictures soon.. these were taken on my phone. Smiley

legendary
In Cryptocoins I Trust
September 10, 2013, 03:34:06 AM
Just a bit of advice, you probably should not assume that there are NO security features in my holograms (as well as mike's).  I'll speak for myself and will say there are several on my holograms that I have not made public for obvious reasons.

It is a bit of an overstatement in the bold above to claim that as true without consulting said parties prior to making a statement as such. The part about "most counterfeit deterrent holograms" is pretty bold too.

Just keep this in mind. Thanks.

Smiley

1. I did not assume that you do not have any security features on your hologram, in fact I assume the opposite. Nor did I say that you do not have any security features on your hologram (or mike's for that matter.)

2. I am going above and beyond and spending a pretty penny on the nicer holograms. I know that saying "my hologram will be the most counterfeit deterrent" is a bold statement. It is for that reason, that I would not say it unless I really believed it to be true. I have a hard time believing you went through the same trouble and expense as I have to add almost every holographic security feature possible to your holograms. Feel free to prove me wrong.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
September 10, 2013, 02:25:47 AM
This is worth cross posting given it was posted in a thread on a different topic:

Well it mentioned something about being the most secure coins made. Could you elaborate?
Oh yes, it doesn't have to do with engraving though.

I am spending the extra money to add more security features to the hologram that other coin's don't have. So, these will be the most counterfeit deterrent holograms for physical cryptocoins currently available. These features will make it easy to confirm for anyone that the holograms on the coins are genuine and not fakes. Notice I say "counterfeit deterrent" and not "counterfeit proof". It is technically impossible to make something that is counterfeit proof, however with added security features you can make it very hard for someone to do.

There will also be cheaper holograms with less security features if you prefer price over security.

Just a bit of advice, you probably should not assume that there are NO security features in my holograms (as well as mike's).  I'll speak for myself and will say there are several on my holograms that I have not made public for obvious reasons.

It is a bit of an overstatement in the bold above to claim that as true without consulting said parties prior to making a statement as such. The part about "most counterfeit deterrent holograms" is pretty bold too.

Just keep this in mind. Thanks.

Smiley
legendary
In Cryptocoins I Trust
September 10, 2013, 01:11:28 AM
The holograms are being made!

Here is the hologram nickel shim (used to make the hologram):
legendary
In Cryptocoins I Trust
September 10, 2013, 12:37:24 AM
The first products are already manufactured and being sent to CryptoVest!! I am expecting the chocolate coins to arrive tomorrow, and the econo line coins & holograms this week or next week~~!

I've been working really hard on the website since last week. I am confident I will have it up this weekend. It will have more details about us and our products, along with prices.

Please signup for our newsletter so I'm not the only person on it! I promise to only send emails when new products or services are available for sale. Cheesy
cryptovest.com

I am working on the FAQ part of the webpage. Feel free to post questions on here.. I need more ideas for what to put on the FAQ. Smiley
legendary
In Cryptocoins I Trust
September 08, 2013, 06:49:12 PM
I added a sign up box on our coming soon page to register for our newsletter. I will send out an email notifying everyone when products are available for sale and give more details about them. Go sign up here: Cryptovest.com

I promise not to spam you, I will only send an email when new products or services are available. Smiley

Do you have an estimate of the costs?

Soon I will.  Smiley
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
September 08, 2013, 07:31:31 AM
Do you have an estimate of the costs?
legendary
In Cryptocoins I Trust
September 08, 2013, 05:16:50 AM
I'm also holding a competition for the design of our next coin with a 5 BTC bounty + other cool stuff.  Grin

If you're a graphic designer, see this thread: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/closed-design-a-physical-bitcoin-contest-is-closed-289668
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
September 07, 2013, 11:24:12 AM
Cool stuff OP. I really wanted a Lialana but the price of them (plus postage) stopped me dead in my tracks.
I'd rather a full silver coin, but I'm definitely interested in them if the price is right. It'd be nice to have them at a price where I can actually afford to make a nice shiny pile of them Smiley
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
September 07, 2013, 08:24:22 AM
Look nice Smiley
Activity: 469
Merit: 250
English Motherfucker do you speak it ?
September 07, 2013, 07:32:50 AM
legendary
In Cryptocoins I Trust
September 07, 2013, 07:24:29 AM
Holeyyyyy sh*t O-O that looks amazing~!

Thank you, keep in mind this is the lesser quality version from the "Econo Line." Just wait till you see the Executive version. Wink

Although, I do admit there will be a large price difference inbetween the Econo and Executive versions. You have to pay for quality... still, I am trying my best to shop around and get a good deal from a reputable manufacturer. The Econo version will be quite affordable for even the tightest of the tightwads.  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005
PGP ID: 78B7B84D
Pages:
Jump to: