Pages:
Author

Topic: Custom FPGA Board for Sale! - page 9. (Read 91606 times)

Activity: 720
Merit: 525
August 23, 2011, 10:01:28 PM
newMeat1, that's the mining software for the old board, and the new board is expected to be very different. Also, I'm not sure where you got that driver list... drivers are available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. The software is still in development, so the actual requirements to run it are still to be determined. fpgaminer is in charge of developing this software, so any questions about it should be directed towards him.

If the lack of details available at this point make you uncomfortable, please don't pre-order yet! More specifics will be ironed out soon.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
August 23, 2011, 09:50:44 PM
How does mining actually work with these? I see you need Windows for the driver, that's fine, but will it work with existing windows mining software?? Have you been able to mine with the prototypes?

fpgaminer wrote some scripts to do the mining. This is a picture of it in action, mining from Eligius-

So, it's not going to work with your GUIminer or whatever mining software you use with GPUs. It has its own software. If you want a more detailed answer, feel free to PM fpgaminer. We still need to get a user guide written and hosted somewhere- I realize this.

Li has been mining non-stop for 5 days with our first prototype

Will the firmware become any more optimised do you think, or is the current quoted hash rate the most we are ever likely to get out of the devices? Can they be overclocked at all to give faster rates?

Well, I hear that artForz has gotten up to 113 Mhash/s with this exact same chip. That probably gives you something close to an upper limit. So you will probably see some small increases in the future. That leads directly into your next question...

Is the FPGA reprogrammable? Do I need special cables or software to do so or can it all be done via USB?

Yes it is. All you need is the USB cable.

What kind of warranty are you going to offer? This is experimental equipment so I would expect a few failures here and there...

Well, would it cause a mutiny if I said I don't think we can afford any type of warranty? Our profit margin just isn't high enough, and we know how people abuse mining hardware. But, keep in mind, we'll test everything before we ship it. I really don't expect "a few failures here and there".

Maybe we could look into doing something where the customer pays to ship it back to Li, and he tries to fix it. He already fixes Xboxes and PS3's so I think there's a good possibility of this... Check his blog out to see him repair a cellphone. It's pretty cool.
Activity: 1008
Merit: 250
August 23, 2011, 09:16:02 PM
About to pre-order but have a few questions...

How does mining actually work with these? I see you need Windows for the driver, that's fine, but will it work with existing windows mining software?? Have you been able to mine with the prototypes?

Will the frimware become any more optimised do you think, or is the current quoted hash rate the most we are ever likely to get out of the devices? Can they be overclocked at all to give faster rates?

Is the FPGA reprogrammable? Do I need special cables or software to do so or can it all be done via USB?

What kind of warranty are you going to offer? This is experimental equipment so I would expect a few failures here and there...
legendary
Activity: 968
Merit: 1000
einc.io
August 23, 2011, 06:46:35 PM
I want to support this,  but I am not in a position to place an order at this time.  PM me if there is anything I can do!

Activity: 519
Merit: 252
August 23, 2011, 06:23:26 PM
And we are switching to a USB==> serial communication interface. I assume that's pretty safe, since USB won't be going anywhere for a long time to come. The hardware that we use to implement this interface is extremely common.

Thanks, this is nice to know Smiley
August 23, 2011, 06:08:43 PM
teknohog- you realize that the user "fpgaminer" has been helping us quite a bit? He developed the original open-source FPGA software. So don't worry about someday buying a new computer that doesn't work on your old FPGA board. We'll make sure you get current software and a bitstream. And we are switching to a USB==> serial communication interface. I assume that's pretty safe, since USB won't be going anywhere for a long time to come. The hardware that we use to implement this interface is extremely common.

He is right, though-- you do need a Xilinx license if you want to synthesize your own firmware for the FPGA. (Think of this as compiling your own custom code. All the vocab is different with FPGAs).

Most people who would want to do that probably have access to the software through school or work, I would bet.

EDIT- Here's the list of drivers for our interface chip.
Activity: 519
Merit: 252
August 23, 2011, 06:00:32 PM
They plan on using a legitimate usb interface for the next gen chips as for the xilinix software, that it entirely independent once programmed a fpga can be anything, this is kind of the point of fpgas.

I am concerned about communicating with the miner, because the original open source FPGA miner uses Altera's closed x86 software to talk over USB. Of course, there are ways to communicate via USB with open source software, but even then there can be driver issues. Serial port is safer in this sense, which is why I'm not the only one to choose it for FPGA mining.

Of course, the FPGA can be programmed with a different computer from the one that is using the miner. However, things are often much more convenient if it is the same machine.

Since I'm already starting to sound trollish, I may as well generalize that it's a bad idea to rely on closed software. For example, a friend of mine is worried about having an FPGA board that is only programmable from 32-bit Windows, as the support for XP is nearing its end. It's entirely possible to program and mine with Altera and Xilinx boards using open source on ARM, if you do your homework.

Synthesizing the FPGA code still needs closed software, but at least it is free as in beer for some chips. This LX150 needs an expensive license that must be renewed annually. I guess this board is worth its price if you only consider it as bitcoin-only hardware, and don't plan on developing anything else.
August 23, 2011, 05:58:30 PM
We'll make Sep. 12th be the preorder cutoff. We should have or be very close to having a first prototype by then.

Any way to keep a running tally of what the final cost will get down to? Or is that impossible to know until production starts?
Not impossible, but- it would take a lot of work to keep such a running tally. Maybe we can organize ourselves and give some periodic updates
Activity: 126
August 23, 2011, 05:12:11 PM
I might considered getting one or two. When is the pre-order cutoff date? Any way to keep a running tally of what the final cost will get down to? Or is that impossible to know until production starts?
Activity: 154
Merit: 10
August 23, 2011, 04:50:00 PM
got 10 Dual FPGA X6500

Wow! Thanks. We will make it happen.

You guys take a risk I am with Ya Grin
August 23, 2011, 04:35:51 PM
got 10 Dual FPGA X6500

Wow! Thanks. We will make it happen.
Activity: 445
August 23, 2011, 04:34:10 PM
So I'm putting in my pre-order, & being charged $30 for shipping.  Huh

If it costs $30 to ship a promise, how much is it to ship a board?  Grin
Activity: 154
Merit: 10
August 23, 2011, 04:33:35 PM
got 10 Dual FPGA X6500

do ur best guys can't wait see what happen next Smiley
August 23, 2011, 04:11:54 PM
Paying in BTC today will count as $50. Max prices are $420 for single FPGA and $620 for dual FPGA

Unfortunately Digikey doesn't take BTC yet, so we will be converting to USD to pay for hardware. You have a couple weeks before the final paymet is due, so... if you feel like BTC value is going up, it would be smart to wait on your preorder. It won't hurt us
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001
August 23, 2011, 04:10:15 PM
I apologize if this has been answered before, I can only read back so much Smiley

What is the expected final price for the 1 and 2 fpga boards when they hit the market? (I assume this will be a max price and the price will be based in $ not BTC).

Also, paying the pre-order in BTC today, will that count as BTC when the final payment is due or as $50?
donator
Activity: 1654
Merit: 1287
Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.
August 23, 2011, 04:00:12 PM
I just ordered 2 of the dual ones. Looking forward to them!
Activity: 404
August 23, 2011, 03:57:30 PM
Just to be clear, are the 2 chip and 1 chip boards the same?

Yes. Whichever one you choose, it will help us get a volume discount on the PCB's. My team is going to buy 10 to start us off!   -- to sell later on eBay or for people who miss preorders

I am strongly considering preordering 10 as well.
August 23, 2011, 03:53:25 PM

Yes. Whichever one you choose, it will help us get a volume discount on the PCB's. My team is going to buy 10 to start us off!   -- to sell later on eBay or for people who miss preorders
Activity: 404
August 23, 2011, 03:51:31 PM
Sirky-
I wonder what the best way to mount a bunch of these would be. Surely just laying them somewhere cannot be most efficient.

What are the physical dimensions with the heat sink on?

For the next batch, we are looking at a 3.4in x 4.1in rectangle. I don't know exactly what the height will be~ probably about 1.5in with the heatsink. We're definitely gonna put some mounting holes and standoffs in, so you can stack them vertically.

Here's the kind of standoff I'm talking about:
http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/Daburn%20PDFs/10-40_1.pdf

donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
August 23, 2011, 03:23:45 PM
Another question: Could this be cooled by submerging it into a small aquarium filled with mineral oil? Would one still use a heatsink in such a situation or is that unnecessary, with a liquid cooling solution?

It seems to me you're trying to solve a problem that doesn't really exist. Think "pentium 90" in terms of cooling here.
Pages:
Jump to: