Pages:
Author

Topic: DASH Masternode legality - page 2. (Read 2675 times)

Activity: 335
Merit: 250
February 10, 2017, 03:12:09 PM
...paying guaranteed 8% returns....

....lose their money....

Do I still have to tell you you're fucking retarded or did you notice yourself after you read your own quote?

Ponzi schemes "guarantee" profit all the time... until it doesnt happen and the scheme falls apart like Dash will.  It is purely paid pumpers selling to greater fools. It's a scheme you fools.
Activity: 465
February 10, 2017, 03:07:13 PM
...paying guaranteed 8% returns....

....lose their money....

Do I still have to tell you you're fucking retarded or did you notice yourself after you read your own quote?
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
February 10, 2017, 02:29:12 PM
Dash is a ponzi paying guaranteed 8% returns. I encourage all idiots to invest and lose their money. Evan deserves the money of idiots.
legendary
Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245
February 10, 2017, 12:52:58 PM
with regards to The Netherlands law / Possibly EU law :

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/dutch-tax-authority-clarifies-bitcoin-mixing-will-not-be-banned-will-raise-suspicion/

Bitcoin Magazine recently reported that the investigative arm of the Dutch tax authority — the FIOD — wants to lower the bar for prosecution of unlicensed bitcoin traders. As part of that effort, the FIOD aims to have mixing services recognized as money-laundering indicators. Users of mixing services would be assumed guilty, Dutch financial newspaper Financieele Dagblad (FD) wrote, unless they could prove otherwise.

The FIOD has now nuanced these reports. Speaking to Bitcoin Magazine, the press officer for the tax authority explained that recognizing something as a money laundering indicator does not mean it will be illegal in and of itself.
“But it does mean it indicates money laundering,” he added.

When asked by Bitcoin Magazine, the FIOD spokesperson did acknowledge that bitcoin mixing can also be done for perfectly valid, privacy-related reasons.

And that is just about Bitcoin mixing / centralized Bitcoin mixers, nothing about Dash and its masternode network which provide full nodes, forms an integral decentralized system
and also provide other services then just mixing (for example it provides InstantSend, it validate blockchain blocks, it validate blockchain transactions and it enables a functioning peer-to-peer system).

legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
February 10, 2017, 12:15:16 PM
Community,

I’ve recently been sent a link by a guy who was considering setting up a tumbler service for BTC but wanted my opinion on the validity of the information that he saw in the link, which could impact his business model.  I didn’t do much to help the guys confidence as I’ve already heard similar information coming down the pipe elsewhere – Norway and Sweden are already pushing legislation to consider services and nodes that facilitate coin-mixing to be treated as a form of money laundering.  This seems to be potentially influenced from the Quatar conference on money laundering (listed relevant key points below).

My question is this.  If this legislation is coming down the pipe, potentially in many nations, could this mean that a Dash Masternode which facilitates coin mixing also becomes illegal (in any nation using the Quatar conference recommendations as a template for AML legislation)?

If the majority of nations determine Dash Masternodes to be illegal (“should not continue to be tolerated”) then Dash would either have to:

a)  Follow extensive KYL/AML proceedures at each point in the process of transaction, giving the appearance (if not the substance) of privacy or,
b)  Dispose of the ability to conduct coinjoin mixing operations altogether and drop the “privacy focussed” moniker,
c)  Move Masternodes to those nations that do not consider Masternodes as facilitating laundering, leading to centralisation (and a greater point of weakness

I’ve seen that Amanda B has been asked on YouTube what the answer might be regarding the legality of Masternodes and private transactions, but so far they are only at the stage of liaising with legal representation to investigate the issue under current US law.

My concern is genuine because I have a modest investment in Dash and I feel that given potential new AML laws coming over the horizon, the Masternode structure could be a point of potential weakness (to legal attack).  If DASH drops privacy from their transactions and follows AML/KYC more strongly in the future then I feel that a large advantage of DASH over other forms of electronic payment will have been removed.

Investigate for yourselves, any genuine, knowledgeable or well though-out responses would be appreciated.

Thanks.

---

Global conference on countering money laundering and digital currencies in Doha, Qatar. The event was organised by the Working Group on Virtual Currencies, a joint initiative of the Basel Institute on Governance, Europol and Interpol, and funded by the authorities of Qatar.

At the end of the Conference, the following recommendations were agreed:

“All countries are advised to regulate Digital Currencies Exchangers and Wallet Providers under their current Anti Money Laundering and Counter Terrorism Financing Legislation in line with the obligations already pending on the Financial Sector”

“All countries are advised to take action against Digital Currencies Mixers/Tumblers. Such services are designed exclusively to anonymize transactions and to make it impossible for Law Enforcement Agencies to detect and trace suspicious transactions. The existence of such companies should not continue to be tolerated”

https://www.baselgovernance.org/news/global-conference-countering-money-laundering-and-digital-currencies

Moving ahead of issues like this Dash requested a full legal analysis by Marco Santori from Cooley LLP, one of the leading attorneys on the space.

This research has been completed and a new legal section will be added to our website soon with information. What i can advance is masternode operators are not liable for the transactions they relay or the PrivateSend feature under US law.

Edit: You can follow updates to this here https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/legal-research-marco-santori-cooley-llp.12691/
Activity: 335
February 10, 2017, 12:00:53 PM
legendary
Activity: 1779
Merit: 1100
February 10, 2017, 11:43:22 AM
Hi,

This is an interesting issue indeed. I suggest you to post in the DASH main forum, because bitcointalk (and even more the announcement section) can be messy sometimes and your post can remain unnoticed.

https://www.dash.org/forum/topic/general-discussion.2

best,

edit.- a mod moved the thread from "Announcements (Altcoins)" to "Discussion".
Activity: 66
Merit: 10
January 30, 2017, 12:12:29 PM
Community,

I’ve recently been sent a link by a guy who was considering setting up a tumbler service for BTC but wanted my opinion on the validity of the information that he saw in the link, which could impact his business model.  I didn’t do much to help the guys confidence as I’ve already heard similar information coming down the pipe elsewhere – Norway and Sweden are already pushing legislation to consider services and nodes that facilitate coin-mixing to be treated as a form of money laundering.  This seems to be potentially influenced from the Quatar conference on money laundering (listed relevant key points below).

My question is this.  If this legislation is coming down the pipe, potentially in many nations, could this mean that a Dash Masternode which facilitates coin mixing also becomes illegal (in any nation using the Quatar conference recommendations as a template for AML legislation)?

If the majority of nations determine Dash Masternodes to be illegal (“should not continue to be tolerated”) then Dash would either have to:

a)  Follow extensive KYL/AML proceedures at each point in the process of transaction, giving the appearance (if not the substance) of privacy or,
b)  Dispose of the ability to conduct coinjoin mixing operations altogether and drop the “privacy focussed” moniker,
c)  Move Masternodes to those nations that do not consider Masternodes as facilitating laundering, leading to centralisation (and a greater point of weakness

I’ve seen that Amanda B has been asked on YouTube what the answer might be regarding the legality of Masternodes and private transactions, but so far they are only at the stage of liaising with legal representation to investigate the issue under current US law.

My concern is genuine because I have a modest investment in Dash and I feel that given potential new AML laws coming over the horizon, the Masternode structure could be a point of potential weakness (to legal attack).  If DASH drops privacy from their transactions and follows AML/KYC more strongly in the future then I feel that a large advantage of DASH over other forms of electronic payment will have been removed.

Investigate for yourselves, any genuine, knowledgeable or well though-out responses would be appreciated.

Thanks.

---

Global conference on countering money laundering and digital currencies in Doha, Qatar. The event was organised by the Working Group on Virtual Currencies, a joint initiative of the Basel Institute on Governance, Europol and Interpol, and funded by the authorities of Qatar.

At the end of the Conference, the following recommendations were agreed:

“All countries are advised to regulate Digital Currencies Exchangers and Wallet Providers under their current Anti Money Laundering and Counter Terrorism Financing Legislation in line with the obligations already pending on the Financial Sector”

“All countries are advised to take action against Digital Currencies Mixers/Tumblers. Such services are designed exclusively to anonymize transactions and to make it impossible for Law Enforcement Agencies to detect and trace suspicious transactions. The existence of such companies should not continue to be tolerated”

https://www.baselgovernance.org/news/global-conference-countering-money-laundering-and-digital-currencies
Pages:
Jump to: