Pages:
Author

Topic: Data Harvesting Inside Ledger Live App - Is this really part of Non-custodial? - page 2. (Read 280 times)

Activity: 210
Merit: 0
I think that collecting information looks like an anonymous cryptocurrency wallet is bad. Unfortunately, this is how every product works these days((
Activity: 99
Merit: 153
However, even if the user turns off that option, can we say with certainty that the app still does not (secretly) collect data and send it to someone for analysis?

Uhm...  what about the key extraction code that's not built into the firmware?

I seriously do not understand why anyone is trusting Ledger at this point.  What ever happened to the days of Bitcoiners saying "Don't trust.  Verify."  Now, it seems to be "Don't trust, unless the company's CEO wears at least nine rings while defending key extraction firmware.  Nine rings or more makes it okay."

There are only three safe uses for a Ledger:

Door stop.
Target practice.
Decoy wallet.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 5622
Non-custodial BTC Wallet
Someone already shared that news here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.63308706

It's nothing strange to me, considering that various apps have an "analytics" option that collects data about how the user uses the app and a lot more that the company wants to know. The real problem is that this option is turned on by default, and those who are not aware that it exists at all are not aware that they can turn it off.

However, even if the user turns off that option, can we say with certainty that the app still does not (secretly) collect data and send it to someone for analysis?

The best option for those who have a Ledger wallet and are worried about data harvesting, is just to use another software.

For example, you don't need Ledger live to use bitcoin, you can use electrum + ledger.
https://support.ledger.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005161925-Set-up-and-use-Electrum

You can also use Metamask + Ledger for ethereum.
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 5630
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
Someone already shared that news here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.63308706

It's nothing strange to me, considering that various apps have an "analytics" option that collects data about how the user uses the app and a lot more that the company wants to know. The real problem is that this option is turned on by default, and those who are not aware that it exists at all are not aware that they can turn it off.

Activity: 8
Merit: 8
Hi guys,
I do not know if this same topic have been brought up here recently, I've search and found none, but if actually there is, please point me to it and I will lock this one.

There have been a lot of controversies surrounding the mode of operations of ledger - one of the top hardware wallet manufacturers, meant to be complete non-custodial, but recently, researchers have discovered data Harvesting Inside the ledger live app.

For whatever reason best known to ledger, and hard to comprehend for users, ledger live app is transmitting information about..
- Clicks
- Page visits
- Redirects
- Crypto transactions
- Page scrolls
- Number of accounts
- Crypto asset names
- Session duration
- Hardware device type
- Firmware version

To ledger's analytics provider known as segment.io.

For those who do not know what ledger live is, like explained HERE[1]- Ledger Live is the official software for interfacing with any Ledger hardware wallet. The vast majority of PC users download this software in order to set up their hardware wallet and sign transactions.

It was while inspecting the ledger live software code that a Twitter user by the handle Rektbuildr[2] discovered that user tracking is built into the entire software.
Use the [1] or [2] links shared above to read more about this.

How exactly are crypto holders who believe in decentralization and privacy still buying ledger?
If this is because most don't know this things, aren't we being robbed by this companies, due to our ignorance?

Pages:
Jump to: