Pages:
Author

Topic: Data rot: how does bitcoin handle it? - page 2. (Read 2271 times)

Activity: 75
Merit: 10
October 21, 2014, 03:57:38 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_degradation ("Data degradation in memory can occur when the small electric charge of a bit in RAM disperses, possibly altering program code or stored data. The hypothesis that semiconductor RAM may occasionally be altered by cosmic rays[2] is also known as soft error.")

Private keys can be subject to bit flip errors, so individual wallet can lose coins if there is no backup to restore the wallet from. In that case it is usually also possible to recover the key by trying to undo the bitrot in bruteforce manner, usually the search space is rather small.

As for the rest, the network is embarrassingly resilient (faulty node is no different from evil node).
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015
October 21, 2014, 03:22:50 PM
The network is distributed across thousands of machines. An error in one wouldn't effect the remaining nodes.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
October 21, 2014, 12:55:06 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_degradation ("Data degradation in memory can occur when the small electric charge of a bit in RAM disperses, possibly altering program code or stored data. The hypothesis that semiconductor RAM may occasionally be altered by cosmic rays[2] is also known as soft error.")

A while ago --within the last two years I think-- Google claimed that one bit in a server farm rotted (I vaguely recall this is a 1 in a 10^12 event, but if you have enough bits it's possible), and this error somehow propagated and crashed their entire network.  Given this was Google who hires the best talent money can bribe, I wonder what would happen if somehow the BTC blockchain, if there is a canonical or gold standard version somewhere, suffered data rot, let's say a solar flare produced lots of cosmic particles that caused an error?  Would the entire BTC ecosystem come to a screeching halt?  If it happened to Google, it can happen here? 
Pages:
Jump to: