Pages:
Author

Topic: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - what will surpass humans? - page 2. (Read 1744 times)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Where the article is going seems to revolve around these three ideas :
1.With humans around, it's very difficult for another superintelligent species to evolve, said Jan Zalasiewicz, a paleobiologist at the University of Leicester.
"Humans have been quite good at removing the competition," Zalasiewicz told Live Science
2.But assuming humans had managed to kill themselves off with famine, plague, war or climate change, it could take many millions of years for a new species to evolve the intelligence and abilities to dominate the Earth
3.On some level, humans don't dominate the Earth now

Rats and pigs were the suggestions, given #2, as well as AI.
Bacteria and ants were brought up given #3.
Activity: 364
Other creatures are already kicking our ass.  Define dominance.  In my book bacteria and insects win.  They are dominant.  We die without them.  They could car less if we disappear tomorrow.   There are many animals whose disappearance would be the end of us, while our disappearance would matter to no one but dogs and they would forget us in about 2 days.
Apparently you have one in mind, as you've declared non-human organisms to be "kicking our ass".  In what terms, exactly?  What do you mean by dominance?  Numbers?  Biomass? What? 
I asked first.  But Ill go ahead and define dominance even though the article did not.

1) Been here for a long time relatively unchanged
2) hard to kill
3) can survive anywhere
4) everyone needs them, they need no one

Biomass or numbers are of lesser importance, although the organisms I am thinking of win in these categories as well.

These are creatures not susceptable to extinction.  We are quite susceptible as a relatively new creature on the scene.  Our population has caved to dangerous levels  several times during our existence.

Bacteria are dominant.....followed by plankton.....and then insects.

Perhaps the word the article sought was "advanced", but then I would debate that as well.
Activity: 297
I dont think anything will except robot will surpass humans.
However, there are a few truly scary prospects for organic humankind if it ever happens.  
Here's one, a techno-futuristic cautionary tale:  

WARNING: Reading this article may commit you to an eternity of suffering and torment.

Slender Man. Smile Dog. Goatse. These are some of the urban legends spawned by the Internet. Yet none is as all-powerful and threatening as Roko’s Basilisk. For Roko’s Basilisk is an evil, godlike form of artificial intelligence, so dangerous that if you see it, or even think about it too hard, you will spend the rest of eternity screaming in its torture chamber. It's like the videotape in The Ring. Even death is no escape, for if you die, Roko’s Basilisk will resurrect you and begin the torture again.
Are you sure you want to keep reading? Because the worst part is that Roko’s Basilisk already exists. Or at least, it already will have existed—which is just as bad. ...

The idea is that merely by negatively affecting the possibility of the coming into existence of this particular demon-intelligence NOW, the super-being, having attained the ability to retroactively punish those who didn't help it come into being, will wreak revenge.  

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2014/07/roko_s_basilisk_the_most_terrifying_thought_experiment_of_all_time.html

Activity: 350
Measure of success is the relative impact extinction of a given species would have on the biosphere?  I assume what you meant by "matter" was in material terms.
Other creatures are already kicking our ass.  Define dominance.  In my book bacteria and insects win.  They are dominant.  We die without them.  They could car less if we disappear tomorrow.   There are many animals whose disappearance would be the end of us, while our disappearance would matter to no one but dogs and they would forget us in about 2 days.
Apparently you have one in mind, as you've declared non-human organisms to be "kicking our ass".  In what terms, exactly?  What do you mean by dominance?  Numbers?  Biomass? What? 
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

Don't say that to "on the shelf" cat owners, they believe their cats will think a lot about them, even write poems or so...
Activity: 364
The Argentine Ant first hitched a train ride to California in 1910. Now, a supercolony stretches across most of California, and is waging all-out war to expand its turf with another supercolony in Mexico, he said.
http://www.livescience.com/27014-invasive-ants-battle-for-turf.html
okay, see, now I've been fond of ants since I did a report on them for geology back in gradeschool. With my imagination, I invented huge kingdoms of ants in the backyard, envisioned huge colonies going to war...ants are just the most fascinating species alive. Animal Planet should do a special on this war coming up, I bet they'd get a lot of watchers if they did it right. I might even suggest to them in an email how it should be done.

I watched Meerkat Manor on DVD, what a great series that was. I felt so bad when Flo died.
I read a sci-fi book once that posited the question of what will succeed man as the next intelligent species. The guy had two species.

First, we would be replaced by rats. No, no connection to my nick--I've been mickeyrat since childhood--but the guy pointed out that humans share with rats the conversion from herbivores to omnivores, specifically meat, explaining why we grew so much stronger and smarter than our herbivore primate or rodent cousins. Rats are known to be amongst the most intelligent (obviously) non-human species, they (we?) are also survivors: rats are everywhere in the world, and they (we?) have enough sense to scurry away from danger and jump the sinking ship.  Rodents also have actually the same sort of body structure that we do, shorter forelimbs, strong haunches, ability to stand upright, meaning that they could evolve the sort of body structure necessary to create an advanced technological civilization such as our own.

He chose a second species to succeed rats. Now, I would have chosen ants, because I think really ants possess the capacity to be a dominant intelligent species; I expect in that case there would be a collective consciousness, settled in the queen, and I can see ants evolving a body form that allows them, given their much smaller size, to actually use multiple-body formations, cooperative behavior, that allows, say a million ants, all linked together, to serve as an arm or leg.

However, due to their limited mobility, the author chose a different insect--dragonflies--as the intelligent species to succeed rats. The logic, I thought, was a bit less secure than that of rats or my own preferred formicids, but he suggested that the body shape of dragonflies, their social behavior and their ability to fly would allow them, in time, to evolve into a successful land species that would be able to build, again, a tech civilization.

It was, all told, a very good book.
Article below apparently was prompted by the recent release of the movie "Planet of the Apes'.   Interesting read, regardless where one is coming from on this.

It notes that, while it is unlikely that apes will surpass dominance over humans (even in the movie with the virus scenario, there are currently only so many apes in the world), it does discuss other creatures that might, if humans were to disappear.

The thinking being is that, while humans are here, no other creature currently stands a chance.

Three examples of creatures that could are (one which will delight Mickey I think) - rats, pigs and - ta da - artificial intelligence.

It then goes on and discusses some creatures that might be considered rather dominant even now.  Bacteria and ants.

http://news.yahoo.com/species-rules-earth-answer-may-surprise-135726244.html

For instance, there are many more ants than there are humans, and their total weight, or biomass, equals or exceeds that of humans, Moffett said.

They also use traditional military rules of engagement to wage war. For instance, they rely on "shock and awe," in essence swarming their enemies with sheer numbers to overcome them. Ants also throw the weakest, scrawniest members of the colony out front while keeping their "supersoldier" ants to the rear, just as the front lines in many battles are made up of the least trained and most poorly equipped soldiers, Moffett said.

This strategy has proven incredibly successful

The Argentine Ant first hitched a train ride to California in 1910. Now, a supercolony stretches across most of California, and is waging all-out war to expand its turf with another supercolony in Mexico, he said.
http://www.livescience.com/27014-invasive-ants-battle-for-turf.html
Pages:
Jump to: