Pages:
Author

Topic: Deadlines and moving forward (BIP 16/17 support) - page 2. (Read 8870 times)

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216
Chief Scientist
OK, it has been a couple of days and the general consensus seems to be a 'rolling' two-week window, with no "below 20%" rule.

I don't think there is any need for a two-week email discussion period among those familiar with the guts of Bitcoin, we've already spent months discussing the options and the consensus for BIP 16 is clear (see the tally here).

It is time to call it settled and move on to bigger and better things, like what protocol to use when a client needs to gather signatures (REST? JSON? http? https? something else?).
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002
No need to suspend chains.  Just create a new transaction type that renders coins "unspendable" and includes a public key.  Have the new chain's rules include a clause allowing the holder of the corresponding private key to create an equal amount of coins on the new chain.

With merged mining the fork won't even sacrifice hashpower.

This avoids the need for any sort of agreement/voting/cabal.  Each user decides which chain they want their coins to be on.  It isn't even "one coin, one vote" -- it's simply letting people move their coins to whichever system they feel best meets their needs.

Maybe that should be here for later forks, but as far as I know neither BIP 16 nor 17 need a fork like that. Old clients will remain compatible.

Quote from: Gregory Maxwell
If the change is going to be a big one anyway and will require a client upgrade why not...

It does not, in fact— Yes, it requires a client update to make use of the new functionality, but old nodes will happily continue to validate things.  It's hard to express how critical this is distinctly. Bitcoin is, predominantly, a zero-trust system. Nodes don't trust that things were done right, the validate them for themselves.
Activity: 203
Merit: 100
No need to suspend chains.  Just create a new transaction type that renders coins "unspendable" and includes a public key.  Have the new chain's rules include a clause allowing the holder of the corresponding private key to create an equal amount of coins on the new chain.

This avoids the need for any sort of agreement/voting/cabal.  Each user decides which chain they want their coins to be on.  It isn't even "one coin, one vote" -- it's simply letting people move their coins to whichever system they feel best meets their needs.

Seems like even a possible solution to the everbloating blockchain problem.
Activity: 686
Merit: 564
Do you have a magic solution to recipients losing the freedom to have complicated rules because the sender doesn't want to handle the TXN fees or risk of slow processing?  The concentration of more data in unprunable unspent outputs? etc. Smiley  Thats it— it's just not simply "big addresses", there are other issues even if they aren't super major.
Nope, no magic solutions to either of those sadly - there's a reason that I supported the idea of P2SH back in the OP_EVAL era before the whole thing turned into a circus, and in fact Coiledcoin started off as my personal testbed for playing with it with all the mainnet checks still in operation. Something that works is better than something that might work eventually though.
donator
Activity: 980
Merit: 1004
felonious vagrancy, personified
can we see theymos idea + non-backwards compatible new standard?

a blockchain fork will have to happen in the future.

see this as a good testbed, practice run or training level.

if we cannot get it right then bitcoin is doomed.

They suspended 1.0 chain and somehow transferred all wealth into 2.0 chain which had new rules and its own genesis block.

No need to suspend chains.  Just create a new transaction type that renders coins "unspendable" and includes a public key.  Have the new chain's rules include a clause allowing the holder of the corresponding private key to create an equal amount of coins on the new chain.

This avoids the need for any sort of agreement/voting/cabal.  Each user decides which chain they want their coins to be on.  It isn't even "one coin, one vote" -- it's simply letting people move their coins to whichever system they feel best meets their needs.
staff
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8419
Some of them may be less important than you think.

I don't think any particular issue is the end of the world— but the representation that we can just use big addresses and it's no big deal is ignoring that there are other issues. I know you know about some of them. But I don't believe most people saying "oh, big addresses are no big deal" do.

For example, I seem to recall you were worried that someone malicious could easily create their own pay-to-script address that only differed from the genuine address by a few characters but could be redeemed by them instead. There's an obvious solution to that if you don't care about address length: append the 160-bit hash of the script to the start of the address. That way, the more characters at the start someone compares, the harder it is to trick them.

Interesting thought, I hadn't considered that possibility. But "We can handle longer ones" isn't the same as "don't care" by doing that the minimum length for a 2of2 simple secured wallet, pretty much the simplest case, probably won't fit in a tweet anymore (for example), they won't fit in the small QR codes anymore, etc.

Do you have a magic solution to recipients losing the freedom to have complicated rules because the sender doesn't want to handle the TXN fees or risk of slow processing?  The concentration of more data in unprunable unspent outputs? etc. Smiley  Thats it— it's just not simply "big addresses", there are other issues even if they aren't super major.

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000
Miners (as a group) should not be given any say over issues like this. They do not necessarily know what the best option is. The issue should be decided by people very familiar with the protocol and the proposals.

I suggest that we compile a list of everyone who knows a lot about the Bitcoin protocol, invite them to a two-week discussion via email, and have those who participate in the discussion vote on the issue at the end of the two weeks. If one proposal gets enough votes (two-thirds, say), then Bitcoin clients will be programmed to apply the new restrictions ~3 months in the future. Miners will have to upgrade by then or their blocks will not be recognized by most clients. If there aren't enough votes for any proposal to pass, the issue will be shelved for a while.

+1
Yes. Some of us are perfectly fine with complex transactions having addresses a hundred characters long and that is just as legitimate an option as BIP-16, 17, or anything else that could possibly replace them.

I challenge you to demonstrate how well informed you are on this sub-subject by linking to posts giving at least three total distinct arguments against that position. Smiley

Some of them may be less important than you think. For example, I seem to recall you were worried that someone malicious could easily create their own pay-to-script address that only differed from the genuine address by a few characters but could be redeemed by them instead. There's an obvious solution to that if you don't care about address length: append the 160-bit hash of the script to the start of the address. That way, the more characters at the start someone compares, the harder it is to trick them.
staff
Yes. Some of us are perfectly fine with complex transactions having addresses a hundred characters long and that is just as legitimate an option as BIP-16, 17, or anything else that could possibly replace them.

I challenge you to demonstrate how well informed you are on this sub-subject by linking to posts giving at least three total distinct arguments against that position. Smiley
Activity: 496
Merit: 500

I can agree to this if there will be a mechanism to preserve "wealth" of current network and transfer it into the new one..

Really, can you, developers, come up with a script that does this? Like CTRL-C CTRL-V

I think there have been a precedent like this in one of the alt-chains starting with S Smiley
They suspended 1.0 chain and somehow transferred all wealth into 2.0 chain which had new rules and its own genesis block.
So it should be possible at least theoretically.
Activity: 330
Merit: 397
Is there any problem with just keeping both BIPs open until one is decided on?

Activity: 630
The Bitcoin system is _NOT_ up for a majority election. Not a majority of hashpower, not a majority of people, not a majority of money.

For example, what happens if a super-majority—even 100%—of the current miners decide that the subsidy should be 50 BTC forever?  NOTHING. Miners who change that rule in their software simply stop existing from the perspective of the bitcoin network.  What happens if a super-majority—even 100%—of the current miners decide that they're going to mine a transaction that takes all of your Bitcoin and gives it to them?  NOTHING.  Miners who violate the protocol rules stop existing from the perspective of the bitcoin network. What happens if a super-majority—even 100%—of the current miners decide that they're going to lie about the current time in order to mine 20 million BTC this year instead of over the next decades? NOTHING(* ignoring the timewarp bug).  Miners who produce objectively incorrect blocks are ignored by the Bitcoin software run by everyone else.

Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what.
This is only true so long as you assume that people would go on and continue to use a version of Bitcoin when they know that there's more than enough miners hostile to its existence that a small proportion of them could execute a 51% double-spend attack and that they have an incentive to do so. In fact, if 100% of current miners leave even a small proportion of them could just block all transactions from getting confirmed.

I was going to say the same thing. Those "NOTHING"s up there are too bold... the stronger miners could just attack the weaker network. We've seen Eligius being used to attack an alt chain, so these kind of violent behaviors should be expected.

But I agree with gmaxwell that this democracy analogy is perhaps not very adequate.
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
The bottom line is that non-technical people should have no say in an issue that is purely technical. This is technocratic democracy and it's simply the best way. All technical people should be invited to the discussion and then they can vote amongst themselves, simple as that. Then the results are made public and the miners will upgrade based on that, if the team decided to go forward with either BIP. There should of course be a vote for "neither".

If people are afraid that this technical team can misuse their power either now or in the future, it's important to remember that the miners have the ultimate decision in the end. In most cases they should support the decision that the devs made but if there is reason to believe that they are doing something very suspicious, they can always refuse to upgrade.

If this issue is handled in any other way, I will seriously lose confidence in Bitcoin. The public debates need to end, they are not helping to solve the issue, instead they are just adding doubt in people's minds.
The Bitcoin system is _NOT_ up for a majority election. Not a majority of hashpower, not a majority of people, not a majority of money.

For example, what happens if a super-majority—even 100%—of the current miners decide that the subsidy should be 50 BTC forever?  NOTHING. Miners who change that rule in their software simply stop existing from the perspective of the bitcoin network.  What happens if a super-majority—even 100%—of the current miners decide that they're going to mine a transaction that takes all of your Bitcoin and gives it to them?  NOTHING.  Miners who violate the protocol rules stop existing from the perspective of the bitcoin network. What happens if a super-majority—even 100%—of the current miners decide that they're going to lie about the current time in order to mine 20 million BTC this year instead of over the next decades? NOTHING(* ignoring the timewarp bug).  Miners who produce objectively incorrect blocks are ignored by the Bitcoin software run by everyone else.

Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what.
This is only true so long as you assume that people would go on and continue to use a version of Bitcoin when they know that there's more than enough miners hostile to its existence that a small proportion of them could execute a 51% double-spend attack and that they have an incentive to do so. In fact, if 100% of current miners leave even a small proportion of them could just block all transactions from getting confirmed.

As you've pointed out elsewhere, in order for Bitcoin to work miners need an incentive to co-operate rather than defect. Once they've all announced they're planning to defect from the developer-approved version it's likely to get screwed badly.

In the case of P2SH, the development team could easily deploy this functionality against the will of the miners: they'd simply issue a new client that enforces the BIP16 rule and send an alert which would pop up a message for every bitcoin user telling them to update.  Miners that failed to update would eventually extend a chain containing a contradictory transaction and from that moment they would no longer be miners from the perspective of the majority of Bitcoin users,  no matter how many yottahashes they had.  Done.
Of course, getting users to upgrade seems to be even harder than getting miners to upgrade, which is presumably why you're not doing it this way. Plus, the uncertainty as to which version to use would probably be hugely disruptive in itself - the only safe thing to do would be to just stop using Bitcoin until the dust settled and everyone had agreed on which side of the resulting fork to use, because if the miners are hostile and have a financial incentive to destroy the developer's side of the chain fork...
legendary
Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000
Though I'm far from understanding the technical details (I'm just a miner) I find this discussion fascinating, and the opportunity to setup a new decission making system for bitcoin, that will luckily attempt to enhance the corrupted "democratic" systems as we already know them.

I'm not intending to give an exact proposal of how this voting system would be, but only a few guidelines that will be enhanced by more intelligent people.

Decision makers should be :

- Satoshi (if he ever shows again)
- Developers
- Miners
- Pool owners
- Users

Keeping in mind that bitcoin WILL be attacked hard, assign a proper percentage to each of them, making it impossible for any individual or group of individuals to collude or being obliged to collude, to do any harm to bitcoin.

Changes on bitcoin fundamentals should not be easy, if not impossible. We need a stable, predictive and, why not, very conservative system, making it almost impossible for any individual or group of individuals to change bitcoin for their own benefit.

Activity: 558

I can agree to this if there will be a mechanism to preserve "wealth" of current network and transfer it into the new one..

Really, can you, developers, come up with a script that does this? Like CTRL-C CTRL-V
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1076

Activity: 755
Merit: 515
Pool owners have the biggest incentives to keep the network running smoothly.
Thats so far from the truth its not even funny.
Why?  A pool owner has everything to gain by preserving the value of bitcoin.  If the network isn't running smoothly the value of bitcoin drops and pool operators are out of business.  Also, if pool operators attempted a change that benefits them over everyone else (setting aside the practicality of actually doing such), you can be sure it would undermine the value of bitcoin.  Mind you, I'm not saying that it's not a good idea to disperse the hashing power that a pool controls…I would certainly like to see more control (especially over block creation) returned to the individual miners.
Sorry this is off topic (my fault).  Feel free to open up a new thread for discussion.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1007
Pool owners have the biggest incentives to keep the network running smoothly.
Thats so far from the truth its not even funny.
Why?  A pool owner has everything to gain by preserving the value of bitcoin.  If the network isn't running smoothly the value of bitcoin drops and pool operators are out of business.  Also, if pool operators attempted a change that benefits them over everyone else (setting aside the practicality of actually doing such), you can be sure it would undermine the value of bitcoin.  Mind you, I'm not saying that it's not a good idea to disperse the hashing power that a pool controls…I would certainly like to see more control (especially over block creation) returned to the individual miners.
staff
We could have implemented the multiple key transaction at the cryptography level, like some other have already stated, multiplying ECDSA keys.

Man, I wish this were true, but it's not. (and I'm basically informed about EC math Smiley )

The problem we need to address with wallet security is this:  We can't trust a service provider to have control over our private keys (see mybitcoin) and (many users) can't really trust their own computers because of viruses and trojans (which even superhuman effort don't completely prevent unless you go the offline dedicated hardware route, with poor usability). These are also problems for traditional banking, but in traditional banking transactions are reversible— which stinks but hides a lot of security sins by user and the banking infrastructure.

You absolutely can have two people create a key in two parts which must be combined to sign via multiplication of the public/private parts (I use that property in the type-2 deterministic wallets I describe in the link above).  The problem is that they must actually be combined to use them, meaning that somewhere there must exist a single computer with the final private key in memory. ... but in our threat model above no such ultimately trustworthy computer exists.  People also have good reasons for needing things like "Two of {A,B,C}, or D" which doesn't fit into a simple combined key/threshold model. So we must use multisignature transactions for this purpose.

There do exist threshold signature schemes which allow for independent processing, but the ones I'm aware of have other compromises (like being large) and, more critically, aren't compatible with our ECDSA.   This is sad because as nice as multisig is, you couldn't do crazy things like have a transaction directly controlled by 50,001 out of 100,000 people with it (the spending transaction would be too big).

P2SH does nice things for other kinds of complicated transactions— not just multisignature. So even though multisignaure is the main end-user use for the here and now it's still a good direction independent of that.
Pages:
Jump to: