Pages:
Author

Topic: DECENTRALIZED crypto currency (including Bitcoin) is a delusion (any solutions?) - page 26. (Read 91087 times)

Activity: 420
Merit: 262
otherwise I fear that crypto ccy will never reach next level of investments and stay nichy by burning small people money that just have NO clue about proper risk management.

I think I know what needs to be done and I think I have the knowledge and skills to do what needs to be done. But words are cheap... silence is golden...
hv_
legendary
Activity: 2520
Merit: 1055
Clean Code and Scale
Here you can qualify what might happen analog, Great Monopoly

http://i.imgur.com/Vbdz4Qi.jpg
This makes them impossible to attack but it also makes them a sham. They're just centralized systems implemented in an inefficient way that gives the appearance of decentralization.

I couldn't agree more with that statement - a lot of people are being deceived with PoS, which is a great shame.

ftfy

Well you don't need to find historical keys (in order to rewrite the history of PoS block chains), when you can make them for nearly 0 cost.

Simply buy and sell on an exchange, and your cost will only be the spread.

Then short the coin, and start attacking.

Obviously this doesn't apply to illiquid meaningless microfloat altcoins. We are talking about whether PoS is viable for a mainstream decentralized coin. Not.

For a centralized coin, then anything works, you don't even need PoS nor PoW (except to fool people with).

max reorg depth in NXT is 720 blocks

Checkpoints are centralization.

For a centralized coin, then anything works, you don't even need PoS nor PoW (except to fool people with).

If we don't have decentralization, then the entire plot has been lost.

Do you need an example? Here you go (remember the Chinese mining cartel allegedly controls 65% of the Bitcoin hashrate):

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/48nnaw/the_truth_comes_out_core_devs_have_convinced/
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1002
This makes them impossible to attack but it also makes them a sham. They're just centralized systems implemented in an inefficient way that gives the appearance of decentralization.

I couldn't agree more with that statement - a lot of people are being deceived with PoS, which is a great shame.
hv_
legendary
Clean Code and Scale
I'm with spartacusrex.  The ultimate test is for someone to pull of one of these (theoretical) attacks and catastrophically and irreparably damage the network in some way, or at least prove that one of the attacks can be used to consistently and successfully attack the network and/or individual users.  Until this test is completed, I'm going to assume that POS and other variations (DPOS) is sufficiently secure.  

Also, it would be in everyone's best interest if POS was broken sooner rather than later while valuations are low.  So please, if you have a guaranteed attack, go ahead and do it and prove POS useless.

I'd expect this happening only if there IS already multi billion business available to attack.... as usually always too late.    

My hope is - and thanks to TPTB - that here is platform to elaborate on this issues in public, cause that's the risk managament we all can afford.

Why multi-billion and not multi-million?  These chains are already valued in the multi-millions.  Also, some of these attacks are free or nearly free, so why not just go ahead and do it (unless of course it can't be done, which I suspect). 

Again, until someone demonstrates that these attacks are possible and can cause significant f, then POS is deemed sufficiently secure. 

Hope you did not apply for some op-risk position at any reasonable company with that sentence above.

Still waiting.................

I'll be waiting to everybody playing with own money or  otherones just read & understand page 9 of

http://www.dtcc.com/~/media/Files/Downloads/WhitePapers/Beyond_the_Horizon_White_Paper_Systemic_Risk.ashx

and my strongest wish is that those parts there will be adjusted esp for investments into crypto ccys ASAP.
Hereunder should go as well all elaborated stuff from this thread and much more,otherwise I fear that crypto ccy will never reach next level of investments and stay nichy by burning small people money that just have NO clue about proper risk management.
Lighting Networks will be the next technobabble lie that I need to slaughter:

https://www.coingecko.com/buzz/eric-lombrozo-7-use-cases-lightning-network

Most of that is bullshit. I will endeavor to explain why in the future...essentially LN is centralization thus another sham with similar failure modes...
legendary
Activity: 996
Merit: 1013

Also, it would be in everyone's best interest if POS was broken sooner rather than later while valuations are low.  So please, if you have a guaranteed attack, go ahead and do it and prove POS useless.

Check this out
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/cleanup-ill-attack-some-coins-i-owned-apexcoin-for-90-blocks-897493
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
I'm with spartacusrex.  The ultimate test is for someone to pull of one of these (theoretical) attacks and catastrophically and irreparably damage the network in some way, or at least prove that one of the attacks can be used to consistently and successfully attack the network and/or individual users.  Until this test is completed, I'm going to assume that POS and other variations (DPOS) is sufficiently secure. 

Also, it would be in everyone's best interest if POS was broken sooner rather than later while valuations are low.  So please, if you have a guaranteed attack, go ahead and do it and prove POS useless.

I didn't read the whole thread so maybe this is covered but the reason* these attacks don't happen in practice is that none of the deployed chains actually operate as decentralized consensus systems. They are centralized in some manner with checkpoints, centrally signed blocks, etc.

* The other reason these systems aren't necessarily attacked is that attacking takes work, and often no one really cares (competent people have better things to do). Shadowcash was recently deanonymized due to a mathematical flaw that rendered their anonymity technique utterly and completely worthless, and which existed in their design for over a year, with a bounty offered. But the flaw was only discovered by accident. Apart from this accidental discovery, the flaw could easily have stayed there for years longer but that would not have made the system any less worthless. Do not assume that since something hasn't been broken yet, it is secure. That is completely wrong.

You can tell how much stake is used in creating a POS chain.

No you can't if stake has been sold and purchased, because the order of those transactions in time is entirely arbitrary and controlled by whom ever is claiming to have the stake now.

That is why PoS requires checkpoints and always online nodes with > 50% of the stake (who all agree with each other due to Nash equilibrium[1]) to avoid a Sybil attack.

[1] but the Nash equilibrium doesn't exist if one can earn more profit by shorting the coin or attacking an exchange, etc.. PoS is a mess that requires centralization. Note that Satoshi's PoW is also a mess that also centralizes as well due to the economics of mining+verification and wastes a lot of electricity (Bitcoin is already controlled by the Chinese mining cartel), so it is sort of stalemate at this point which explains the popularity of PoS (other reason PoS is popular is it is technically easier to implement and it is much superior for controlling P&D schemes and top-down governance).

The point about checkpoints is that when your protocol depends upon them for security purposes, you might as well just throw the whole thing in the bin and use a 100% centralised service, which will be exactly as secure and a lot faster, cheaper and easier to use.

Bit harsh.. There are many other benefits to a decentralised system, that 'needing-one-32-byte-checkpoint-at-first-logon' doesn't screw up.

Decentralized nodes provide DDoS resistance, higher availability and uptime. But a centralized controller can provide decentralized nodes. The significant advantages of decentralization derives from decentralizing control so that failure modes are removed that revolve around disagreements or vested interests. You can see that PoS has no Nash equilibrium unless it is controlled by one "winner take all".

I'm with spartacusrex.  The ultimate test is for someone to pull of one of these (theoretical) attacks and catastrophically and irreparably damage the network in some way, or at least prove that one of the attacks can be used to consistently and successfully attack the network and/or individual users.  Until this test is completed, I'm going to assume that POS and other variations (DPOS) is sufficiently secure.  

Also, it would be in everyone's best interest if POS was broken sooner rather than later while valuations are low.  So please, if you have a guaranteed attack, go ahead and do it and prove POS useless.

PoS systems have already been attacked, I believe it was by an exchange. But that is not even the main point, which apparently you are also not cognisant of.

The main point is that the centralization required to obtain a Nash equilibrium in PoS is the attack. A centralized system is a political and vested interest leverage against everyone who uses the system. For example, the centralized control can veto feature changes, such as how the Chinese mining cartel has vetoed a block size increase for Bitcoin so they can ostensibly force transaction fees high to fatten their profits.

The ill-informed hubris that n00bs slobber on threads is incredulous.

The 50% attacks have already occurred numerous times for PoS and PoW coins. You are just blinded because you are not looking at all forms of "attack". Typical myopia of n00bs (non-experts) who haven't conceptualized all the issues thoroughly. Live and breathe this stuff for years as monsterer, smooth, and myself have and then you may start to have the foresight that we have. We would simply appreciate a bit more respect for the effort we have invested.

I am respectful to those who respect those who invest effort. This is called a meritocracy. I put the mirror in the face of weekend warriors who disrespect those who have done their homework.
@TPTB_need_war another way to think about why PoS isn't as secure as PoW in general:

PoS does not reinforce historical consensus. Every subsequent block in a PoW chain makes the history below it more secure because the cost of reversing it is superlinear in the number of blocks built on top. In PoS, this is not the case, the cost of producing a block is a constant, therefore the cost of reversing history is a constant.

so with a 51% + selfish mining attack you would be able to unwind all hist tx in PoS? (with minor costs)

You can arbitrarily re-write history in PoS with <50%; I can produce a valid candidate chain longer than the canonical chain for a constant cost, whcih I then present to nodes which are syncing with the network who are unable to distinguish this objectively from the canonical chain.

edit: Since the cost of providing such information is very small, I can dominate the network with peers containing instances of my fake chain such that any syncing node querying peers at random would find a majority of my fake nodes.

I've added this to the post about PoS on the first page of the thread. You've pointed out that PoS can be Sybil attacked achieving an attack with less than 50% of the stake when the majority of the stake is not always online. In other words, PoS is only secure as a federation, not decentralized consensus.
Activity: 622
Merit: 500

I'd expect this happening only if there IS already multi billion business available to attack.... as usually always too late.    

My hope is - and thanks to TPTB - that here is platform to elaborate on this issues in public, cause that's the risk managament we all can afford.

Why multi-billion and not multi-million?  These chains are already valued in the multi-millions.  Also, some of these attacks are free or nearly free, so why not just go ahead and do it (unless of course it can't be done, which I suspect). 

Again, until someone demonstrates that these attacks are possible and can cause significant damage, then POS is deemed sufficiently secure. 

Hope you did not apply for some op-risk position at any reasonable company with that sentence above.

hv_
legendary
Clean Code and Scale

Again, until someone demonstrates that these attacks are possible and can cause significant damage, then POS is deemed sufficiently secure. 

hv_
legendary
Clean Code and Scale

legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1002
Sure, but again, this only applies to someone who has never connected before and who doesn't know anyone on the network AND who has downloaded a version of the software that has no valid checkpoints in it.

Yes, this is a good description of a syncing node. The checkpoints thing is a mitigation, but I maintain that once you start using checkpoints for security, all you end up with is a centralised service with redundancy, not a decentralised or trustless system, which are they key tenants of cryptocurrency.

edit: simple thought experiment: if checkpoints are so great, why not use them for every single block and have a 100% attack resilient system?
I'm with spartacusrex.  The ultimate test is for someone to pull of one of these (theoretical) attacks and catastrophically and irreparably damage the network in some way, or at least prove that one of the attacks can be used to consistently and successfully attack the network and/or individual users.  Until this test is completed, I'm going to assume that POS and other variations (DPOS) is sufficiently secure. 

hv_
legendary
Clean Code and Scale
The simplest check, ask someone who is connected to the network already.

If you have never connected before, and don't know anyone who is on the network, then it's more complicated..  Tongue (although you could say that downloading the software is a risk in itself - is it legit or hacked, and any legit version would include some checkpoints)

And if I have a majority of fake nodes broadcasting my fake chain to those who wish to sync, the chances of asking my fake node is greater than 50%, isn't it?

The point about checkpoints is that when your protocol depends upon them for security purposes, you might as well just throw the whole thing in the bin and use a 100% centralised service, which will be exactly as secure and a lot faster, cheaper and easier to use.

Thanks ! Sounds really monstreous!

So everybody feel free to run   Multi Billion Contract Solutions on a PoS system.   Shocked
Pages:
Jump to: