Pages:
Author

Topic: DECENTRALIZED crypto currency (including Bitcoin) is a delusion (any solutions?) - page 39. (Read 91110 times)

legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1007
TPTB_need_war, why would anybody secure your currency if mining is unprofitable?

Because they want to send a transaction to the block chain.

If you making mining unprofitable, won't you lose the honest miner's incentive to win the block reward rather than to double spend?
Activity: 420
Merit: 262
TPTB_need_war, why would anybody secure your currency if mining is unprofitable?

Because they want to send a transaction to the block chain.
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042
White Male Libertarian Bro
Added these to the upthread PoS post:

PoS(hit) can never be secure, because if it has a functioning markets (which it must in order to be widely adopted and liquid), then one can borrow stake, attack the coin (which requires much less than 51% to for example delay transactions by some N blocks where N is a function of percentage of coin supply held), and then pay back the borrowed coin with cheaply bought coin as the price collapses due to attacks. You could simultaneously short it (i.e. which you did when you borrowed the coins, but sell some for fiat before you attack) for profits. Also PoS can't distribute new coins, thus eventually the coin supply shrinks asymptotically to 0.

With PoW, your borrowed mining hashrate would eventually reach end of contract and the coin would repair itself. And you'd need much closer to 51% to do damage. You would hope to be able to purchase the coin at cheap prices, wait for it to rise back up and then sell it for fiat to pay back your loan. Much less plausible.

However if you are up against the corrupt State that charges cost of PoW mining to the collective, then we're screwed with profitable PoW also, except I have the idea to use the unprofitable PoW of every person's computer in the world (with latency preventing them from farming out to ASIC), which seems might be even too much of an expense for China to hide the subsidization of.

Also PoS can't distribute new coins, thus eventually the coin supply shrinks asymptotically to 0.
You are wrong here. There are PoS variants that distribute new coins.

No variants can. And the last time you debated me, I defeated you on every single point. Are we going to have to do it again?

See Bitshares, genius.

Again the point is that with PoS, there is no FAIR or EQUITABLE way to distribute new coins that doesn't mimic the proportionality of the existing stakes, thus this is the same as the divisibility that is already built into the existing coins. No new distribution was achieved, just offsetting inflation.

If you have any other gimick in mind, please cite it specifically, so I can identify the flaw for you. You have been hoodwinked.
The amount of say you get in the company is compared to the amount of stake that you own. Corporations have been thriving on such practices for years now. Executives get nice stock options and benefits and the larger shareholders have more say, yet all stakeholders profit (if it is a well ran business of course.) If that is known before someone invests in a company/cryptocurrency that whoever has more stake will get more say in the company, then it is ridiculous to call it not fair.

You are also assuming that everyone votes in their best interest only and not the company's best interest, which is not always the case. If you go have a look at what each paid witness is doing for Bitshares then it becomes clear it is not the case.

You mean either:

• Larger stakeholders get more (either because they can outvote the smaller ones, or because the smaller ones are somehow convinced the coin will gain more value if they give away their coins).
  • Corporations are created, new shares are created, production in this economy makes these shares more valuable, minority shareholders agree to give more shares to those who run or work for the company.

I assume you mean #2, since #1 is idiotic.

But by definition the shares have to be non-fungible with shares of other corporations. So unless you make Bitshares one corporation for every productive venture, then the new shares can't be Bitshares.

So there is the flaw. You can't have one corporation that produces everything for the world. It lacks degrees-of-freedom. It is same as tying yourself to your sister and trying to each go about your daily life tied together.

Dumb shit like this is why I do not respect the Larimer incest.

Bitshares ... people will even stab or murder each other eventually ... It's also going to have elements of corporate fascism
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
I need to eat first and then catch up on the latest posts in this thread.

After eating most of blood flow to the stomach leaving less oxygen for the brain. Are you sure you can "single-handedly" analyze those posts?
wonder who the new user really is.. scared that he will lose the argument? why do ppl hide behind nicknames?

Go back a page, and you will find the answer. Wink

You think it is professor JorgeStolfi?

Perhaps due to the academic knowledge displayed but I doubt he would be afraid.

I need to eat first and then catch up on the latest posts in this thread.
legendary
double spending for partial order order is solved. it might be that PoW is not 100% fair or efficient, but no doubt it does work to some extent.

Total order of events is unsolved. I don't see how trees, DAG's, or anything else can even address the problem. One would always need to trust nodes which are closest to the source of events. Only the node which broadcasts the message will know the ultimate truth.

I completely agree that it is theoretically impossible, however that's not what I'm asking.
Activity: 81
Merit: 10
Total sequence is impossible. Say one node A is in New York, and node B is in Sydney. both measure data of one variable and broadcast message over the Internet.

A observes the timeseries, +3, +1, +5
B observes the timeseries, +1, +5, +3

Node in New York will observe all messages from A first, then B. Another different node in Paris might observe in mixed order:

e.g. +1 (B), +3 (A), +5 (B), +1 (A), +3 (B), +5 (A).

All nodes can agree on a partial order, with subject to some constraints. How to achieve total order nobody has clearly described.

It gets very interesting and complicated if one attempts to model a program as a flow of messages over a network.

However, getting back to my original question above; do you agree that a partial ordering is a strictly weaker requirement than a total ordering, which would, indeed be 'enough' to solve the problem of a trustless consensus?

double spending for partial order order is solved. it might be that PoW is not 100% fair or efficient, but no doubt it does work to some extent.

Total order of events is unsolved. I don't see how trees, DAG's, or anything else can even address the problem. One would always need to trust nodes which are closest to the source of events. Only the node which broadcasts the message will know the ultimate truth.
legendary
I believe its impossible to implement total order or anything like it, without a actually distributed timestamp mechanism.

Aye, the same is observed in general theory of relativity
legendary
I don't think one transaction per block would solve that problem. I believe its impossible to implement total order or anything like it, without a actually distributed timestamp mechanism.

Agreed. The analogy is that with one transaction per block, two blocks referencing the same parent represent a partial ordering equivalent to two transaction within the same block.

However, getting back to my original question above; do you agree that a partial ordering is a strictly weaker requirement than a total ordering, which would, indeed be 'enough' to solve the problem of a trustless consensus?

(https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.13581964)
Blockchains doesn't mean that all nodes agree on a total order of events. It means consensus on partial order of events.

And if you allowed only one transaction per block?

edit: The partial ordering can only be within one single block, and the total ordering is of all blocks, so if you have only one transaction per block, doesn't it follow that you have a total ordering of transactions?

Blockchains allow for partial order and eventual consistency. Not all nodes agree on everything. In particular in Bitcoin they don't agree whether transaction A happened before transaction B (total order of events). Double spend problem means one can order transaction in packages called blocks. Blockchains implement partial order of events. That's also why script is Turing non complete.

More formally, one can sort transactions (or events or messages) by time the way Lamport did. So its mathematically a partially ordered set, i.e. a relation of a set of events (transactions are events or messages). The relation can deliver an answer for 2 events A and B and determine whether event A happened strictly before, strictly after, or roughly at the same time (in one block). What makes it even more complicated is that Bitcoin has a statistical distribution. The longer in the past A and B the more sure one is, since more nodes have confirmed it.

To have a total order of events, I think nobody has even an approximation. Two nodes will always disagree on total order, the same way two people in the same room will always see something different if they are in different locations. But they might agree enough.

I don't think one transaction per block would solve that problem. I believe its impossible to implement total order or anything like it, without a actually distributed timestamp mechanism. One can imagine a system where all computers connected to the Internet at the carrier level also have a timestamp protocol. If carriers are trustworthy (a very big ask), then everyone could look up the timestamp for a message. TCP/IP packets are not timestamped on top level and no entity on the Internet holds a history of events on the protocol level (everything refers to only the current state).

A good reference for these things is also the work of Carl Hewitt: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Hewitt . He invented messaging with actors and wrote about eventual consistency.
legendary
Blockchains doesn't mean that all nodes agree on a total order of events. It means consensus on partial order of events.

And if you allowed only one transaction per block?

edit: The partial ordering can only be within one single block, and the total ordering is of all blocks, so if you have only one transaction per block, doesn't it follow that you have a total ordering of transactions?
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005
some percent of double-spendings can be tolerated if we save a lot of resources by allowing this. Every day new counterfeit dollars appear in the streets but Earth doesn't stop spinning.

1% of your effort will take you 99% of the way to your goal, but completing that final 1% will cost 99% of the total effort.

the world obviously does not care that 2 entities in 1 country already control over 51% of the bitcoin hash power.  case in point, bitcoin has never died.

who really cares about a few dollars spent twice?

nobody that matters

so, why the hell don't you just save 99% of your time and money, rather than spend it on something that the masses don't care about.

therefore; a wokaholic can get 99x more useful work done if he is not a perfectionist

So just because you are imperfect, does not mean that you are unproductive

Case in point:

the world's undisputed most distributed immutable ledger (if it works)

(and another creative genius bound for the funny farm because he craves attaining that final 1%

A system based on math does not agree to your conclusions.. It either works or doesnt for all cases. That is what btc to the stage as ideal money
legendary
wonder who the new user really is.. scared that he will lose the argument? why do ppl hide behind nicknames?

?
Activity: 261
Merit: 250

legendary
legendary
CAP does not apply to distributed systems. Sure, state can be inconsistent, but that's not necessarily a problem. Consistency is usually over-rated by academics, and that's how one often ends up with misleading theorems. Any two computers communicating over a distance will be out of sync. The basis of blockchains is Lamport's work on how communication can happen in such a distributed system. In essence there needs to be consensus on a partial order of events. Total consensus on one variable is impossible, since information can't travel faster than light, but it is not required. If node A knows that X = 1, he sends a message to B "X = 1". But it might be that before that message reaches B, that X = 2. This in itself is not a problem. Bitcoin's PoW indeed solves the double-spending problem. Its possible even at a distance to know what happens first, as long as Peers are honest (if A sends message X = 3, although X=1, the result will be false in any case independent of the order). Say in Bitcoin everyone knows that Alice owns 1 BTC. If she sends a message to all peers, that she wishes to transfer her wealth to Mallory, then this message will only be applied after a rather long interval - the block cycle. Blockchains doesn't mean that all nodes agree on a total order of events. It means consensus on partial order of events. The most important article for understanding blockchains very few seem to have read and understood is: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/lamport/pubs/time-clocks.pdf . Lamport also came up later with the Byzantine Generals problem.

You are right. Even more, some percent of double-spendings can be tolerated if we save a lot of resources by allowing this. Every day new counterfeit dollars appear in the streets but Earth doesn't stop spinning. If we accept that it's fine for FED to print more money, why a skilled guy from Harlem can't do the same? Hell, I would prefer the latter, at least he can't print that many banknotes.
CAP does not apply to distributed systems. Sure, state can be inconsistent, but that's not necessarily a problem. Consistency is usually over-rated by academics, and that's how one often ends up with misleading theorems. Any two computers communicating over a distance will be out of sync. The basis of blockchains is Lamport's work on how communication can happen in such a distributed system. In essence there needs to be consensus on a partial order of events. Total consensus on one variable is impossible, since information can't travel faster than light, but it is not required. If node A knows that X = 1, he sends a message to B "X = 1". But it might be that before that message reaches B, that X = 2. This in itself is not a problem. Bitcoin's PoW indeed solves the double-spending problem. Its possible even at a distance to know what happens first, as long as Peers are honest (if A sends message X = 3, although X=1, the result will be false in any case independent of the order). Say in Bitcoin everyone knows that Alice owns 1 BTC. If she sends a message to all peers, that she wishes to transfer her wealth to Mallory, then this message will only be applied after a rather long interval - the block cycle. Blockchains doesn't mean that all nodes agree on a total order of events. It means consensus on partial order of events. The most important article for understanding blockchains very few seem to have read and understood is: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/lamport/pubs/time-clocks.pdf . Lamport also came up later with the Byzantine Generals problem.
legendary
May I request that if you want to have a discussion about theory behind graph models for transaction state, that you create a new thread and we will discuss it there. Then after we reach mutual understanding, we will post the summary back in this thread. I don't want to make this thread unnecessarily noisy.

I don't think trees will work and that is why I think we will end up writing a long discussion. And this thread is already getting difficult to follow, being too long to digest holistically in a reader's mind.

This is not specifically about trees; it could be any single, completely linear sequence of chained transactions. In fact, I think the reader would be enlightened by the answer to this simple, direction question about trustless consensus:

Why is it not enough to find one global sequence for all transactions ever made?

As I see it, sequencing is all you need, even in the face of double spends because the first time an output is spent in this linear sequence, subsequent spends of the same output will simply be invalid.
Pages:
Jump to: