Pages:
Author

Topic: Decentralized Timestamp - page 2. (Read 5251 times)

legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007
May 20, 2014, 06:06:32 PM
2.  He does not understand that "attacking the network" to attempt to reverse a colored-coin trade for bitcoin is sort of pointless.  If Bluemeanie buys my colored coin for 100 BTC and then double-spends to reverse the transaction (after spending a lot of money to do so), sure he'll end up with his 100 BTC back in the unlikely case that he is successful, but I'll end up with my colored coin back.  With coinjoin, the trade was a single transaction.    

Some people don't use these special transactions and instead exchange coloured coins/ mastercoins directly for fiat or products or services, this enables successful double spends.

Correct.  Double spends are possible when trading blockchain assets for something external to the blockchain, whether the blockchain assets are bitcoins or colored coins.  The advantage of colored coins on the bitcoin network is they can be traded risk-free for bitcoins (since they are registered on the same blockchain and can be exchanged with a single coinjoin TX). 

In other words, there is an advantage to trading assets registered on a particular blockchain with the native currency of that blockchain because these trades can be made risk free (the trade either happens or it doesn't--one party can't get stiffed).   
Activity: 56
Merit: 1
May 20, 2014, 05:55:30 PM
2.  He does not understand that "attacking the network" to attempt to reverse a colored-coin trade for bitcoin is sort of pointless.  If Bluemeanie buys my colored coin for 100 BTC and then double-spends to reverse the transaction (after spending a lot of money to do so), sure he'll end up with his 100 BTC back in the unlikely case that he is successful, but I'll end up with my colored coin back.  With coinjoin, the trade was a single transaction.    

Some people don't use these special transactions and instead exchange coloured coins/ mastercoins directly for fiat or products or services, this enables successful double spends.
May 20, 2014, 05:52:10 PM
I think I see now the cause for this confusion. Let me put it simply:

generation signature is not block signature

generation signature = hash(generation signature of previous block concatenated with the forger's public key)
block signature = signature of block; forger's private key required

purpose of generation signature => providing the hit
purpose of block signature => providing block integrity

You still aren't understanding me. You have to get lucky and be allocated a block randomly as per normal. Now you get the chance to create a block signature. Once you get this opportunity you can iterate through many different possibilities for the block signature such that the next block is guaranteed to be signed by you.

The crucial bit of the code is hash(generation signature of previous block concatenated with the forger's public key). If you are able to manipulate the signature of the previous block because you were randomly allocated the ability to sign the previous block then you can make sure this hash is very small.
Activity: 280
Merit: 257
bluemeanie
May 20, 2014, 05:30:39 PM

you clearly dont understand the nature of these risks and I suggest you do more reading here and less posting.

THANKS!   Grin

-bm
bluemeanie
May 20, 2014, 05:28:08 PM
you're greatly misconstruing my points.

This is one VIEWPOINT on economics and it centers around the notion of scarcity.

-bm

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82
May 20, 2014, 05:23:18 PM
Signatures are dependent on the data they are signing and my public key, my public key is fixed but the data I am signing is not. I can add and remove transactions to the block to change the output of the signature. (Technically with ECDSA signatures you don't even need to do that, you just change the nonce used in signing to get a different signature)

There is no ECDSA involved. Just sha256.

Yes there is, when you sign a block with NXT you sign it using ECDSA. It is this signature that is used to calculate who gets to sign the next block and therefore you need to iterate through different ECDSA possibilities to produce the lowest value when you combine it with your public key and take the SHA256 hash of the two combined.

Show me the code.

This is what I mean:
 1) https://bitbucket.org/JeanLucPicard/nxt/src/046e59e4df43309a37c2789efd39dba4a873bbe2/src/java/nxt/Generator.java?at=master#cl-118
 2) https://bitbucket.org/JeanLucPicard/nxt/src/046e59e4df43309a37c2789efd39dba4a873bbe2/src/java/nxt/BlockchainProcessorImpl.java?at=master#cl-731

No ECDSA involved.

I think I see now the cause for this confusion. Let me put it simply:

generation signature is not block signature

generation signature = hash(generation signature of previous block concatenated with the forger's public key)
block signature = signature of block; forger's private key required

purpose of generation signature => providing the hit
purpose of block signature => providing block integrity
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007
May 20, 2014, 05:13:55 PM
I've been bashing my head against the wall with Bluemeanie over here too: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.6841920

1.  He does not believe that the cost to produce a commodity tends to the market price of that commodity.  For example, the cost to produce 25 BTC (in USD) tends to the market value of those 25 BTC, so as the market value of bitcoin increases so to does the cost of attempting a 3-confirm double-spend.  He apparently disagree and calls this "pulp fiction economics."  

Point 2 is why digital IOUs like colored coins are most likely to trade on the dominant network (which is presently bitcoin).  You can't trade digital assets for real bitcoins in a trustless way on the Nxt network like you can using colored coins.  Ironically, I was discussing this point with Nxt advocates and they told me that I was wrong here too--that you can trade Nxt assets for real bitcoins in a trustless way.    

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political
May 20, 2014, 05:12:17 PM

1) it's a given that TX fees will need to increase over time

why is that a given?

because block rewards will decrease.

from the Bitcoin wiki : "The number of Bitcoins generated per block is set to decrease geometrically"

eventually the reward will be so small compared to the cost to generate them that TX fees will be required.  At that point we're not completely sure what will happen.  Tulips anyone?  Smiley

-bm

Yes but that "eventually" is a ways off.  
There's many more years of mining for block rewards.  
I don't think anyone is seriously worried about this
right now.  

Talk to me in 5 years about it.  Smiley

bluemeanie
May 20, 2014, 05:10:35 PM
one problem with the ASIC race is that the force we're trying to secure the blockchain against is the same force that we're using to secure it.

It's hashing power on the attack and hashing power on the defense.  If the legit market calls hashing power into existence, then some future reversal or shift in circumstance can move that hashing power from defense to attack.  And with marginal profits from defense approaching zero, the miners are always balanced on this knife edge where the smallest change could make an atack more profitable than continuing defense.

I'm reminded of what Pratchett's character Vetinari said about hiring mercenaries:  You have to pay them to start fighting, and unless you are very lucky you also have to pay them to stop.

it reminds me of the cold war US-Soviet Nuclear Détente.

-bm
May 20, 2014, 05:07:56 PM
Signatures are dependent on the data they are signing and my public key, my public key is fixed but the data I am signing is not. I can add and remove transactions to the block to change the output of the signature. (Technically with ECDSA signatures you don't even need to do that, you just change the nonce used in signing to get a different signature)

Yes there is, when you sign a block with NXT you sign it using ECDSA. It is this signature that is used to calculate who gets to sign the next block and therefore you need to iterate through different ECDSA possibilities to produce the lowest value when you combine it with your public key and take the SHA256 hash of the two combined.

Show me the code.

This is what I mean:
 1) https://bitbucket.org/JeanLucPicard/nxt/src/046e59e4df43309a37c2789efd39dba4a873bbe2/src/java/nxt/Generator.java?at=master#cl-118
 2) https://bitbucket.org/JeanLucPicard/nxt/src/046e59e4df43309a37c2789efd39dba4a873bbe2/src/java/nxt/BlockchainProcessorImpl.java?at=master#cl-731

No ECDSA involved.
May 20, 2014, 05:06:36 PM
In a double spend attack (including a "51% attack) the attacker would be the one generating the sequence of blocks.  That means each block relies on the prior block also made by the attacker.  The attacker signs a block and if it doesn't allow him to forge the next block, just keeps resigning it until it does (as pointed out a single digest can have an infinite number of unique signatures by changing the k value). The attacker attempts signatures until he produces a one which allows him to sign the next block as well.  The attacker then moves on to the next block.  If this seems kind of like a PoW it is.

Let me correct this nonsense.

As no ECDSA is involved and the only thing that can be used in

generation_signature_hash = sha256(generation_signature_of_current_block + my_public_key) <<<<< + means concat

to manipulate are:

generation_signature_of_current_block  << fixed by the previous block
my_public_key                                  << fixed by the number of accounts an attacker has

So, the only thing he can do, is to create billions of accounts holding at least >0 NXT to try out each of them.
bluemeanie
May 20, 2014, 05:06:14 PM

why is that a given?

because block rewards will decrease.

from the Bitcoin wiki : "The number of Bitcoins generated per block is set to decrease geometrically"

eventually the reward will be so small compared to the cost to generate them that TX fees will be required.  At that point we're not completely sure what will happen.  Tulips anyone?  Smiley

-bm
May 20, 2014, 05:03:34 PM

May 20, 2014, 04:55:31 PM
What do you mean by iterating through thousands of possible current block signatures?

legendary
May 20, 2014, 04:32:00 PM
one problem with the ASIC race is that the force we're trying to secure the blockchain against is the same force that we're using to secure it.

It's hashing power on the attack and hashing power on the defense.  If the legit market calls hashing power into existence, then some future reversal or shift in circumstance can move that hashing power from defense to attack.  And with marginal profits from defense approaching zero, the miners are always balanced on this knife edge where the smallest change could make an atack more profitable than continuing defense.

I'm reminded of what Pratchett's character Vetinari said about hiring mercenaries:  You have to pay them to start fighting, and unless you are very lucky you also have to pay them to stop.

interesting.

I think what we might see in the future is some kind of normalization. 

The network hashrate growth will slow down, stop, or possibly decline at some point...
Mining will be seen less as opportunistic, and more in line with other businesses
that require years to reach breakeven.

So, profits may shrink, but things may become more stable and predictable.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1129
May 20, 2014, 04:26:40 PM

legendary
May 20, 2014, 04:05:36 PM

why is that a given?

bluemeanie
May 20, 2014, 04:01:19 PM

Colored Coins etc. make it much harder to know how much value we need the blockchain to protect.  The fact that these values are essentially "hidden" from the protocol means we can't tell what we need to do to maintain any kind of parity with them.

One popular (and possibly correct) view of things is that in the long run the cheapest available price of electricity times the amount of electricity spent per block, will approach the value of the block reward in a PoW system. 

that's perhaps the asymptotic value of a block reward in a PoW system- we will always have secondary costs although they will theoretically get lower as time goes by.  But really can we predict much of anything in that time frame?

Right now we have a Bitcoin block reward worth approx. $12000.  If this view is correct, we should expect, worldwide, to see about $12000 worth of electricity (increasingly concentrated where electricity is cheapest) expended per block by hashing rigs. 

Right now transaction fees are providing a very small percentage (one third of one percent?  I think?) of the block rewards. 

At  some point in the future, moving to transaction fees as a primary source of mining revenue, implies that each kilowatt-hour of electricity invested in securing the blockchain will have to secure three hundred times as much value (relative to its own value) from attack as it does now. 

I'm convinced that's not really enough.  If we stick with Proof-of-work, we're going to have to start charging transaction fees based on how much value is changing hands, because we want to buy security proportional to the value we're trying to secure, not proportional to the amount of space it takes to store the transaction.  And that means the amount of value changing hands has to be visible, and that therefore Colored Coins etc will have to be more 'transparent' in terms of the protocol knowing how much they're worth (and therefore how much security we need to buy to keep them secure).

the problem of transaction fees is even more serious and I've pointed this out before.

2) if they increase past a certain threshold and the use of bitcoin becomes more expensive than alternatives like Paypal, not only will Bitcoin become unattractive for users, it will become unattractive for investors, and thus there will be a collapse in price.  I can't see how we can avoid this future as the computation requirements to run the bitcoin network get larger and larger.  Again, NXT does not have these issues.

-bm
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1129
May 20, 2014, 03:21:30 PM

Colored Coins etc. make it much harder to know how much value we need the blockchain to protect.  The fact that these values are essentially "hidden" from the protocol means we can't tell what we need to do to maintain any kind of parity with them.

One popular (and possibly correct) view of things is that in the long run the cheapest available price of electricity times the amount of electricity spent per block, will approach the value of the block reward in a PoW system. 

Right now we have a Bitcoin block reward worth approx. $12000.  If this view is correct, we should expect, worldwide, to see about $12000 worth of electricity (increasingly concentrated where electricity is cheapest) expended per block by hashing rigs. 

Right now transaction fees are providing a very small percentage (one third of one percent?  I think?) of the block rewards. 

At  some point in the future, moving to transaction fees as a primary source of mining revenue, implies that each kilowatt-hour of electricity invested in securing the blockchain will have to secure three hundred times as much value (relative to its own value) from attack as it does now. 

I'm convinced that's not really enough.  If we stick with Proof-of-work, we're going to have to start charging transaction fees based on how much value is changing hands, because we want to buy security proportional to the value we're trying to secure, not proportional to the amount of space it takes to store the transaction.  And that means the amount of value changing hands has to be visible, and that therefore Colored Coins etc will have to be more 'transparent' in terms of the protocol knowing how much they're worth (and therefore how much security we need to buy to keep them secure).

bluemeanie
May 20, 2014, 02:40:30 PM
telepathetic,

not to mention that there is a (unknown and likely linear) relationship between intrinsic value of BTC and cost and presence of hashing power. 

Somewhat.

There was high correlation until the price crashed after gox.  Now prices are half of what they were, yet hashing power has increased.

that's because it was overpriced.

-bm
Pages:
Jump to: