Pages:
Author

Topic: Defend Taxation - page 8. (Read 6164 times)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
0xFB0D8D1534241423
August 06, 2012, 08:27:12 PM
I'll bite.
Sure, the government does provide some services which are useful; I might even go so far as to say that a subset of those are "necessary."
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
August 06, 2012, 08:13:25 PM
I think all government functions could be distributed to a local level and there is no need for a bloated central government.

...the services requiring taxation.

Those are the services I'm referring to, or at least some of them.
Activity: 686
Wat
August 06, 2012, 08:09:13 PM
I think all government functions could be distributed to a local level and there is no need for a bloated central government.

Especially these days where we have the internet to communicate instantly and tools to allow collaboration of people.
August 06, 2012, 07:41:06 PM
Touche, your definition is correct. In my defense I'm describing an ideal situation in which tax is paid willingly and the legal threat isn't needed, I can't justify my own corruption and incompetent governments taxation even at the best of times.

Well, even if the legal threat isn't needed, it's still there.

Allow me, if you will, to advance an alternative.

You agree that some services that government provides are necessary, and proper, yes?
August 06, 2012, 07:22:55 PM
I'd dispute that taxation is ' extortion, by violence or threat of violence'.

Thank you for offering debate.

I'd like to present a little evidence, in the form of definitions, as to the fact that taxes are indeed a form of extortion.

First: Tax
tax   [taks]
noun
1. a sum of money demanded by a government for its support

Now, Extort
ex·tort   [ik-stawrt]
verb (used with object)
1. Law. a. to wrest or wring (money, information, etc.) from a person by violence, intimidation, or abuse of authority; obtain by force, torture, threat, or the like.

Now, note: the word used in the "tax" definition is not "requested," not "desired," but "demanded." That reveals an interesting fact: Taxes are not voluntary.

Well, what happens when you say "no" to the tax man?

According to Wikipedia:
"Tax evasion is a crime in almost all developed countries and subjects the guilty party to fines and/or imprisonment. "

Key words there: fines, and imprisonment.

A fine is:
fine2    [fahyn]
noun
1. a sum of money imposed as a penalty for an offense or dereliction

And of course imprisonment is:
im·pris·on   [im-priz-uhn]
verb (used with object)
to confine in or as if in a prison.

So, if decide not to pay taxes, they will take more money, or throw you in a cage. But what if you say no to that?

Well, then they will make you. They will use force to make you comply. Hmm... where did I see that, before? Oh yes:
ex·tort   [ik-stawrt]
verb (used with object)
1. Law. a. to wrest or wring (money, information, etc.) from a person by violence, intimidation, or abuse of authority; obtain by force, torture, threat, or the like.
Activity: 527
August 06, 2012, 07:19:59 PM
I'd dispute that taxation is ' extortion, by violence or threat of violence'. The origins of government are clear in the name, it's modern day meaning has become twisted in the same way as 'corporation'. Government does not necessarily mean 'the state', governor was once a common term for any kind of overseer and societies infrastructure is more effectively and efficiently maintained when overseen centrally, when done correctly taxation is justified.

So taxation ISN'T extortion through threat of violence!? Wow, I didn't know that! I've been paying taxes all this time... I'll never fill out another tax return.
August 06, 2012, 06:08:35 PM
This is for all the statists out there...

The defining characteristic of a State is that it is funded by taxation. All governments, throughout time, have had this feature, regardless of other trappings, ideologies,or policies.

My challenge to you is simple: Defend that practice.

My contention is that taxation is theft. Taxation is the extortion, by violence or threat of violence, of the funding necessary to run the government. Refute that, if you can.
Pages:
Jump to: