Pages:
Author

Topic: Definition of full node - page 2. (Read 295 times)

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
December 09, 2021, 03:06:56 AM
  • They necessarily keep the whole chain.  False.  Those that discard past blocks are called pruned full nodes or pruned nodes for short.
Prunned nodes are full nodes, they also contribute to the network, they can validate and propagate bitcoin blocks and transactions and continue to maintain the connection with other peers (be it other pruned nodes or full nodes) in the network. We can say that prunned node have the recent database of blocks and transactions which it received and relays or route to other nodes. But some people have the misconception that full nodes must have the full blockchain, which is not necessary.

It is not necessary for full nodes to have the main four functions (blockchain, mining, wallet and routing), the main fucntions necessary for full node is to have the recent blockchain database and the routing function.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 3858
Farewell o_e_l_e_o
December 09, 2021, 01:45:39 AM
Nearly 2 years ago I made a topic about different client types here which is worth mentioning here. I also just edited to make some parts more clear. I think it is a good categorization of all types of bitcoin clients that exist.
I did not know your topic, thank for informing about it today.

legendary
Activity: 3444
Merit: 10558
December 09, 2021, 12:53:48 AM
Nearly 2 years ago I made a topic about different client types here which is worth mentioning here. I also just edited to make some parts more clear. I think it is a good categorization of all types of bitcoin clients that exist.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
December 08, 2021, 02:30:10 PM
Due to a recent disagreement, I think it's advisable to define what's a full node.  Definitions are strict, so wherever you consider I'm wrong, correct me.

For every computer that is directly or indirectly connected to the Bitcoin network, we say that it consists a node of the network.  These nodes can either share the block chain, be servers of lightweight clients, contribute to the lightning network's capacity etc.  So, anything that sends and receives information to/from the Bitcoin network can be referred to as a node of it.

A full node is a node that forces all the consensus rules[1].  They download every block that is sent to them and verify its validity based on these rules.

Myths about full nodes:

• They necessarily keep the whole chain.  False.  Those that discard past blocks are called pruned full nodes or pruned nodes for short.
  • “Full” stands for full features.  False.  “Full” stands for full verification.
  • Full pruned nodes do not contribute to the network by relaying blocks.  False.  They can advertise themselves as having the latest blocks and therefore, can help the network's bandwidth.

[1] https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Consensus
Pages:
Jump to: