Pages:
Author

Topic: Defying Mining Probabilities with Willpower - page 2. (Read 7654 times)

legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431
February 19, 2012, 06:05:26 PM
No, it's more like I simply don't want to waste my time looking up a citation because some stranger thinks he needs it.  And apparently it's not a standard world-wide if they keep giving me A's on papers in which every single reference is completely fabricated.
That does not prove anything. It simply means whom ever marked your paper neglected to verify the citations.

also
Skeptics such as Robert T. Carroll, Claus Larsen, and others have questioned the methodology of the Global Consciousness Project, particularly how the data are selected and interpreted,[3][4] saying the data anomalies reported by the project are the result of "pattern matching" and selection bias which ultimately fail to support a belief in psi or global consciousness.[5] Other critics, whilst disagreeing with GCP findings, have noted that the open operation of GCP "is a testimony to the integrity and curiosity of those involved."[6]
I can already see why the experiment is flawed. The events that are chosen to be "significant" are chosen by the experimenters, who, like all humans, have confirmation bias.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
February 19, 2012, 06:00:20 PM
how about we stop giving our power away continuously and stop believing we yield no effect nor influence on our life, health finances love and coincidences.
We don't need to be a boat swayed by the waves in all and any directions. Everything around us in this world started in the imagination from tesla to Einstein to all architects and bitcoin itself. That is not due to chance, it cannot be. Your life is the result of what you dwell on most of the time.

I'll repeat the citation :
http://noosphere.princeton.edu/
http://noosphere.princeton.edu/measurement.html

edit:
"The overall result is highly significant. The odds against chance are much greater than a million to one. " Smiley

Well said.
Activity: 609
Merit: 501
peace
February 19, 2012, 05:55:55 PM
how about we stop giving our power away continuously and stop believing we yield no effect nor influence on our life, health finances love and coincidences.
We don't need to be a boat swayed by the waves in all and any directions. Everything around us in this world started in the imagination from tesla to Einstein to all architects and bitcoin itself. That is not due to chance, it cannot be. Your life is the result of what you dwell on most of the time.

I'll repeat the citation :

edit:
"The overall result is highly significant. The odds against chance are much greater than a million to one. " Smiley
legendary
February 19, 2012, 05:52:32 PM
I don't have to back up anything.  Take what I said or leave it.  I said earlier that I remember learning about it in high school science class.  I already know that when I think about moving my arm, I can move my arm, so it's already established that mental thoughts affect physical reality.  Not sure why this is so much harder to believe.  The peer review system is arguably the single largest obstacle to scientific progress, so I don't really give a shit about citations.

I've been known to make up entire bibliographies for my papers in college and grad school (Big Dog Publishing Company, anyone?).  Somehow I keep getting A's.
Yet it's standard world-wide. Roll Eyes Something tells me that you just can't find evidence to back your statement up, and you don't want to look like a fool.

On a related note:
So, there have been scientific experiments that suggest that "the joint" is a retard.  Specifically, "the joint" is able to significantly make retarded posts beyond what could be expected of a normal forum member...

No, it's more like I simply don't want to waste my time looking up a citation because some stranger thinks he needs it.  And apparently it's not a standard world-wide if they keep giving me A's on papers in which every single reference is completely fabricated.
Activity: 675
Merit: 514
February 19, 2012, 05:48:54 PM
If you think you can influence random events then it's probably a good idea to read this:
http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html
legendary
February 19, 2012, 05:45:28 PM
I tried this 12 months ago when I had subsribed to Vladimirs mining contract. I intended for better than average and then he sent me an email I got lucky with my first blocks Smiley The whole thing got switched to zero variance after though.
That's only anecdotal evidence. The whole problem with anecdotal evidence is that you only want to recall miraculous events, like a lucky streak of finding blocks. Sure, you found many blocks with less time than expected, but you ignore all the times you found blocks at the expected time, or longer than the expected time.

I don't have to back up anything.  Take what I said or leave it.  I said earlier that I remember learning about it in high school science class.  I already know that when I think about moving my arm, I can move my arm, so it's already established that mental thoughts affect physical reality.  Not sure why this is so much harder to believe.  The peer review system is arguably the single largest obstacle to scientific progress, so I don't really give a shit about citations.

I've been known to make up entire bibliographies for my papers in college and grad school (Big Dog Publishing Company, anyone?).  Somehow I keep getting A's.
Yet it's standard world-wide. Roll Eyes Something tells me that you just can't find evidence to back your statement up, and you don't want to look like a fool.

On a related note:
So, there have been scientific experiments that suggest that "the joint" is a retard.  Specifically, "the joint" is able to significantly make retarded posts beyond what could be expected of a normal forum member...
Activity: 609
Merit: 501
peace
February 19, 2012, 05:41:29 PM
So, there have been scientific experiments that suggest that research participants were successfully able to modify "random" processes.  Specifically, participants were able to significantly affect the outcome of a computer coin-flip program beyond what could be expected due to chance alone.  So, if a participant wanted more "heads" to appear, more "heads" actually appeared in the outcome, and at a frequency beyond what could be expected due to chance.
[citation needed]

If you need it go find it.  I don't need it.
that's not how citations work. YOU made the claim, now YOU have to back it up. I hate how people go around and spread tin foil hat theories and ask others to disprove a claim that THEY made.

I tried this 12 months ago when I had subsribed to Vladimirs mining contract. I intended for better than average and then he sent me an email I got lucky with my first blocks Smiley The whole thing got switched to zero variance after though.

Gregg Braden has some interesting points and science to share.
legendary
February 19, 2012, 05:39:22 PM
So, there have been scientific experiments that suggest that research participants were successfully able to modify "random" processes.  Specifically, participants were able to significantly affect the outcome of a computer coin-flip program beyond what could be expected due to chance alone.  So, if a participant wanted more "heads" to appear, more "heads" actually appeared in the outcome, and at a frequency beyond what could be expected due to chance.
[citation needed]

that's not how citations work. YOU made the claim, now YOU have to back it up. I hate how people go around and spread tin foil hat theories and ask others to disprove it.

I don't have to back up anything.  Take what I said or leave it.  I said earlier that I remember learning about it in high school science class.  I already know that when I think about moving my arm, I can move my arm, so it's already established that mental thoughts affect physical reality.  Not sure why this is so much harder to believe.  The peer review system is arguably the single largest obstacle to scientific progress, so I don't really give a shit about citations.

I've been known to make up entire bibliographies for my papers in college and grad school (Big Dog Publishing Company, anyone?).  Somehow I keep getting A's.
legendary
February 19, 2012, 05:33:37 PM
[citation needed]

that's not how citations work. YOU made the claim, now YOU have to back it up. I hate how people go around and spread tin foil hat theories and ask others to disprove a claim that THEY made.
legendary
February 19, 2012, 05:30:23 PM
So, there have been scientific experiments that suggest that research participants were successfully able to modify "random" processes.  Specifically, participants were able to significantly affect the outcome of a computer coin-flip program beyond what could be expected due to chance alone.  So, if a participant wanted more "heads" to appear, more "heads" actually appeared in the outcome, and at a frequency beyond what could be expected due to chance.
[citation needed]

If you need it go find it.  I don't need it.
legendary
February 19, 2012, 05:29:07 PM
So, there have been scientific experiments that suggest that research participants were successfully able to modify "random" processes.  Specifically, participants were able to significantly affect the outcome of a computer coin-flip program beyond what could be expected due to chance alone.  So, if a participant wanted more "heads" to appear, more "heads" actually appeared in the outcome, and at a frequency beyond what could be expected due to chance.
[citation needed]
legendary
February 19, 2012, 05:25:37 PM
You guys got it all wrong......

This has nothing to do with Willpower, Karma or anything else along those lines.

If you want results - ASK SATAN Wink

Good old 666, Number of the Beast, Morning Star, Beelzebub and the rest of it....

I don't think that has anything to do with it. When you read success books, they always KNEW they would succeed. With 100% determination and willpower you can do anything, but most people have trouble putting 0.001% willpower.

+1

Scientists took professional archers and did some brain scans while they were shooting at a target.

They found out that right before the archers released their arrows, their was a momentary calming of their brain waves.  The archers KNEW and FELT that they were going to hit the target -- there was no "if."  They put their faith in their skill and they let the arrow go.  Unprofessional archers didn't show this same calming of brain waves.  They had doubt, they lacked faith.
Activity: 124
Merit: 100
February 19, 2012, 04:40:40 PM

This has nothing to do with Willpower, Karma or anything else along those lines.

Good old 666, Number of the Beast, Morning Star, Beelzebub and the rest of it....

I don't think that has anything to do with it. When you read success books, they always KNEW they would succeed. With 100% determination and willpower you can do anything, but most people have trouble putting 0.001% willpower.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
I heart thebaron
February 19, 2012, 02:00:38 AM

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician
February 19, 2012, 01:28:02 AM
Never tried it with mining but I did use it to increase download bandwidth 50-60kbps.  Grin

You'll never collect any money from Mr. Randi, there is no requirement for him to accept proof.
Disbelief in an outcome is just as powerful, but in opposition to, belief.

At S.R.I. (Stanford Research Institute) a study was performed with 2 researchers, one pre-concluded positive outcome results, the other pre-concluded negative outcome results, in the observance of particles. Both published outcome results proved each researchers pre-concluded position.
pla
Activity: 65
Merit: 10
February 19, 2012, 01:01:28 AM
Even if the underlying concept has some merit, I don't think any of the major miners actually use a random process - They all just increment the nonce in a very deterministic manner.  And even if they did, computers don't do very well at truly "random" numbers without an external source of them.

You could probably modify a published CPU miner to pick random nonces;  You would need, at least, a kernel-level hardware-derived entropy driver, and preferably a radioisotope-based RNG (something like you can build as described at http://www.inventgeek.com/Projects/alpharad/OverView.aspx).  But overall the idea wouldn't fit well with GPU mining, so if you manage to get a factor of 100 improvement by power of will, you should contact James Randi to collect your reward and forget about gaming BitCoins.   Grin
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB
February 18, 2012, 11:26:21 PM

Has anybody ever tried this with Bitcoin mining and noticed that they have been solving blocks at a faster-than-expected rate?  Preferably, this would apply to people with significantly higher hash rates (> 10 g/hash) over a period of at least 1 year, or maybe 6 months.  I doubt many people fall into this category.

Interesting. Link(s)? Do you mean by hopping, or some other method(s)?

Honestly, I remember the whole coin-flip research stuff from like 8 years ago when I was in high school science class.

Before I upgraded my hardware and was running a single 6970, I had actually placed a piece of tape on my case that said "50 BTC" and "00000000000000000000000000000000000000000" representing a low hash output.  I didn't really solo-mine with it though, and I only left it on for about 2 weeks.  Didn't solve any blocks with it -- not surprising.

But, I'm seriously considering giving this another go with about 1.8 g/hash.  I know it sounds a bit ridiculous, but I've been having some very weird coincidences happen to me lately that have been rather hard to ignore, and it's given me some psychological motivation to try this again.

nope... bad time to use it, you have used up your karma...

fyi
legendary
February 18, 2012, 09:53:27 PM

Has anybody ever tried this with Bitcoin mining and noticed that they have been solving blocks at a faster-than-expected rate?  Preferably, this would apply to people with significantly higher hash rates (> 10 g/hash) over a period of at least 1 year, or maybe 6 months.  I doubt many people fall into this category.

Honestly, I remember the whole coin-flip research stuff from like 8 years ago when I was in high school science class.

Before I upgraded my hardware and was running a single 6970, I had actually placed a piece of tape on my case that said "50 BTC" and "00000000000000000000000000000000000000000" representing a low hash output.  I didn't really solo-mine with it though, and I only left it on for about 2 weeks.  Didn't solve any blocks with it -- not surprising.

But, I'm seriously considering giving this another go with about 1.8 g/hash.  I know it sounds a bit ridiculous, but I've been having some very weird coincidences happen to me lately that have been rather hard to ignore, and it's given me some psychological motivation to try this again.

Activity: 770
Merit: 500
You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB
February 18, 2012, 09:49:44 PM
I just play the market, and it goes the opposite direction.. EVERYTIME!!

I am..

The Market Whisperer...
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
February 18, 2012, 09:45:26 PM

Pages:
Jump to: