Pages:
Author

Topic: Delegated Proof of Stake (DPOS) White Paper by Daniel Larimer - page 3. (Read 11449 times)

legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin hasn't been fundamentally improved since Satoshi exited years ago.

Mining pools can be algorithmically decentralized, but you will never see this in Bitcoin.

Mining can be decentralized with cpu-only PoW, but you will never see this in Bitcoin. Scrypt is not cpu-only.

Checkpoints are a precaution while the network hashing rate is smaller than for example Google's server farms, but isn't needed after that.

Cpu-only will reach that point much faster than Bitcoin did.

Soon.

If you make a CPU only coin and assuming it remains so over time, you will have huge botnets controlling the coin. It doesn't make it any better.

The idea in the OP sounds promising, even though I have quite a few reservations. Of course, its still a theory now and unless we see it working in practice we won't know if it is any good.
Activity: 518
Merit: 521
Bitcoin hasn't been fundamentally improved since Satoshi exited years ago.

Mining pools can be algorithmically decentralized, but you will never see this in Bitcoin.

Mining can be decentralized with cpu-only PoW, but you will never see this in Bitcoin. Scrypt is not cpu-only.

Checkpoints are a precaution while the network hashing rate is smaller than for example Google's server farms, but isn't needed after that.

Cpu-only will reach that point much faster than Bitcoin did.

Soon.

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82
Delegated Proof-of-Stake (DPOS)
by Daniel Larimer
April 3, 2014

Abstract

This paper introduces a new implementation of proof of stake that can validate transactions in seconds while providing greater security in a shorter period of time than all existing proof of stake systems. In the time it takes Bitcoin to produce a single block a DPOS system can have your transaction verified by 20% of the shareholders and by the time Bitcoin claims the transaction is almost irreversible (6 blocks, 1 hour) your transaction under DPOS has been verified by 100% of the shareholders through their representatives.

http://107.170.30.182/security/delegated-proof-of-stake.php

Daniel "bytemaster" Larimer is answering technical questions in this thread.

Btw., your solution is no contribution of the state of the art.

Nxt introduced Transparent Mining in production and Leasing of Mining Power conceptually some time ago. Now, the latter is going to be in production within a few days.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82
It is time to squash Proof-of-Stake once and for all. It can NEVER remain decentralized. Satoshi's Proof-of-Work is the only known solution to the Byzantine General's Problem (was a known unsolved problem since at least the 1970s).

You should read http://www.links.org/files/decentralised-currencies.pdf It explains why PoW is also not the way to go. The reasoning is quite simple:

Why does Bitcoin introduce checkpoints periodically? Because PoW is not secure either.

How is the network gonna find consensus on that checkpoints? Assumption: the developers find it.  <<< is that decentralized? I doubt it.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Looking for the next big thing
so when is your coin coming out? hehehe
Activity: 547
Merit: 502
Tribalism is hard-wired in human. We have evolved to be peer-loving social animals. We fondly think we are individuals. Yet we seek out peers with reputation for survival and for solving big problems. 

We can't have absolute mathmatically bullet-proof decentralization. Instead we should seek pretty-good-decentralization.

Could there exist a decentralization index, with which we know how good is pretty good? I guess the index  for a given coin could have sub-indices e.g. percentage of new blocks minted by top 5 richest address for POS,  percentage of new blocks mined by top 5 biggest pools for POW, even percentage of new blocks generated by the same  brand of mining rigs,  by a country,  by group of countries having the same background ... If you want to maximize decentralization, choose a low index coin and diversify.

Spot on, everything in life is a compromise.  While DPOS is not 110% decentralized, DPOS appears to be MORE decentralized compared to many of the current alternatives.  An index would be a great start for us to compare what technology is decentralized "good enough."
Activity: 516
Merit: 500
CAT.EX Exchange
Tribalism is hard-wired in human. We have evolved to be peer-loving social animals. We fondly think we are individuals. Yet we seek out peers with reputation for survival and for solving big problems.  

We can't have absolute mathematically bullet-proof decentralization. Instead we should seek pretty-good-decentralization.

Could there exist a decentralization index, with which we know how good is pretty good? I guess the index  for a given coin could have sub-indices e.g. percentage of new blocks minted by top 5 richest address for POS,  percentage of new blocks mined by top 5 biggest pools for POW, even percentage of new blocks generated by the same  brand of mining rigs,  by a country,  by group of countries having the same background ... If you want to maximize decentralization, choose a low index coin and diversify.
legendary
Activity: 1008
there is no difference between the centralization of bitcoin mining and the centralization of dpos except that dpos leverages that centralization for faster block times and confirmations. it also allows for scalability that bitcoin cannot achieve with its current design since all the computational resources of the network are being used for mining rather than transaction processing.

It doesn't sound decentralised enough, and there is the possibility that the delegates may collude. or a single entity may run multiple delegates.

I don't get the love for PoW either. Bitcoin is controlled by a dozen entities (the Cartel) and makes it opposite to being decentralised.
Activity: 207
the big problem here is: shares, assets, instruments are legal terms. but we're not talking about transactions within jurisdictions, but in cyberspace. that is a HUGE difference, and very few people understand this. which is quite amazing really, because it should be obvious that these terms just don't apply in the same way. so bitshares don't have the legal system under them, which makes them ineffective. the same applies to pretty much all non-ecash efforts.

This is exactly how I've felt when reading all protoshares/invictus/etc stuff in the past.  I mean, anything can happen, and it's possible they could make some of this stuff work, but why rely on colored coins when you can rely on authoritarianism and men with guns.

this doesn't rely on colored coins...
right now we are using shares in a decentralized company as currency because they are a good medium of exchange simply by virtue of their digital nature. the point of bitcoin (the network) is to provide a better a currency, so shouldn't these decentralized companies do just that? currencies that are not beholden to inflation or price instability. essentially they are financial instruments of the clients choosing. this is what bitshares x (the decentralized autonomous bank and exchange) allows. individuals can use this bank to acquire assets that maintain the purchasing power of any asset that you can think of. the bank holds at least 200% reserve for all the debt that it issues, so there is no possibility of default. everything within the system is collateralized and accounted for with the bank's shares. as the banks market cap increases it can issue more debt, but it can only do so in accordance with rule that debt can only be issued with 200% collateralization.

the big problem here is: shares, assets, instruments are legal terms. but we're not talking about transactions within jurisdictions, but in cyberspace. that is a HUGE difference, and very few people understand this. which is quite amazing really, because it should be obvious that these terms just don't apply in the same way. so bitshares don't have the legal system under them, which makes them ineffective. the same applies to pretty much all non-ecash efforts.

shares, assets etc. are not legal terms they are economic terms that have nothing to do with governments or jurisdictions except that governments attempt to regulate their exchange. these terms do not apply in the same way because the legal ramifications do not apply, but the economic consequences do. this is why bitshares is better than bitcoin and all 2nd generation crypto systems, because it is supported by sound economics.

also what is a non-ecash effort?
Activity: 518
Merit: 521
clout and Voluntold, you need to study the three validity tests for the Byzantine Generals Problem and understand at a very deep level what proof-of-work solves.

It is not possible to just centralize a subset of the system, because the security and game theory of the system is pre-imageable and manipulable from that subset, thus there is no subset (it is not containable).

The word 'reputation' in this context means any attribute you want to associate with a node in the network. Proof-of-work avoids the need for any persistent attributes, thus centralization does not need to be contained in a subset, because there isn't any centralization subset because there is no attribute that has to be validated.

Think about the Byzantine problem in another abstract way. There can't exist a tally of votes without agreeing who will validate and count the votes (unless perhaps using some group signature algorithm, however these are always two-steps and thus are subject to denial-of-service). Yet who ever is trusted to count the votes, can now game the entire system.

Any reputation attribute metastasizes to centralized game theory.

Sorry. End of story. High IQ abstraction complete.

...delegates have a simple job and can be fired on command if they do not perform their duties...

No they can't be fired in all possible game theory scenarios. Devil is the details. I could spend my entire life doing adhoc analysis of every new N.A.O.D.
Activity: 140
Merit: 107
This is exactly how I've felt when reading all protoshares/invictus/etc stuff in the past.  I mean, anything can happen, and it's possible they could make some of this stuff work, but why rely on colored coins when you can rely on authoritarianism and men with guns.

yes, that's complicated. the spectrum between cyperpunks and free market capitalists is pretty wide. certainly a bunch of people in N jurisdictions have not the power to incorporate whatever legal entity they want. corporations and states are deeply coupled. corporations have become state-like entities, playing the game of jurisdiction arbitrage and leveraging their power through all kinds of venues, see the recent global trade agreement and the off-shore markets.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011
FUD Philanthropist™
A paper justifying a 100% premine. Honestly?

i literally just ROFL'd so hard i thought i was going to choke to death ahhahhahahaa
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011
FUD Philanthropist™
i like my white papers beige Sad
Activity: 69
Merit: 10
Thank you.
Very interesting article !
legendary
Activity: 1260

This is exactly how I've felt when reading all protoshares/invictus/etc stuff in the past.  I mean, anything can happen, and it's possible they could make some of this stuff work, but why rely on colored coins when you can rely on authoritarianism and men with guns.
Activity: 140
Merit: 107
right now we are using shares in a decentralized company as currency because they are a good medium of exchange simply by virtue of their digital nature. the point of bitcoin (the network) is to provide a better a currency, so shouldn't these decentralized companies do just that? currencies that are not beholden to inflation or price instability. essentially they are financial instruments of the clients choosing. this is what bitshares x (the decentralized autonomous bank and exchange) allows. individuals can use this bank to acquire assets that maintain the purchasing power of any asset that you can think of. the bank holds at least 200% reserve for all the debt that it issues, so there is no possibility of default. everything within the system is collateralized and accounted for with the bank's shares. as the banks market cap increases it can issue more debt, but it can only do so in accordance with rule that debt can only be issued with 200% collateralization.

Activity: 13
Merit: 0
I skimmed through and all I had to see was 'reputation is centralization'.... No it's not.  A reputation system is not what led to fiat money.  That's ridiculous.  Please explain to me how a reputation system would lead to manipulation??? Ebay seems to be doing fine. 

Same question with you .Want a explaination.
Activity: 168
I skimmed through and all I had to see was 'reputation is centralization'.... No it's not.  A reputation system is not what led to fiat money.  That's ridiculous.  Please explain to me how a reputation system would lead to manipulation??? Ebay seems to be doing fine. 
Pages:
Jump to: